• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I believe in Creation ...and Evolution

Pah

Uber all member
Racerboy said:
I encourage everyone (and challenge anyone who believes in evolution) to read "How Evolution Flunked The Science Test". Here's the link: http://www.nisbett.com/library/how_evolution_flunked_the_scienc.htm
A test eh? First of all the test has thousands of questions all answered correctly. Second. the "teacher" didn't know what or how to ask questions. But then, seeing as it's an "off-shore" site, it doesn't meet the standards of American teaching.

Just keeping with the "theme", gentlemen and ladies.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
wow, what a spectacularly misinformed view of Evolution and science.
Interesting to note that all the dates given for the science is from the 1950's and the latest date is the 70's for a conference.... very telling.

wa:do

Passerbye

I would like to know, "Help Me", was your comment "good idea" sarcasm or what. Good idea can mean a lot of things. In the context it seems like an insult, the way you put those two lines of my writing together. If I am wrong and it wasn't ment as an insult then I am sorry for the insinuation. I would just like to know.

greatcalgarian

Racerboy said:
I encourage everyone (and challenge anyone who believes in evolution) to read "How Evolution Flunked The Science Test". Here's the link: http://www.nisbett.com/library/how_evolution_flunked_the_scienc.htm
12 pages on Word document 5607 words, but did not make any sense to me. Lots of fallacy arguements, appealing to emotion, wrong statesment etc. I tried hard to read and follow the 'flunking', but still could not make head or tail. No adequate reference, not a single link, and this is how to learn something or believe what is written there?

For example:
Dr. George Wald, Nobel Prize winner of Harvard University, states it as cryptically and honestly as an evolutionist can: "One has only to contemplate the magnitude of this task to concede that the spontaneous generation of a living organism is impossible. Yet here we are - as a result, I believe, of spontaneous generation." Scientific American, August, 1954.

That statement by Dr. Wald demonstrates a much greater faith than a religious creationist can muster. Notice that the great evolutionary scientist says it could not have happened. It was impossible. Yet he believes it did happen. What can we say to that kind of faith? At least the creationist believes that God was able to speak life into existence. His is not a blind faith in something that he concedes to be impossible.
What did George Wald say exactly in Scientifc American? SA is not a refereed journal, and many articles could be opinionated. Anyway I still could not follow the arguement in the second paragraph.
The quote from Dr. Wald is most likely plagarized from somewhere but the link below is better with further elucidation:
http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/quote_wald.html
.........1954 is a long time ago, particularly in an area of science that is advancing rapidly. However, I dug up the article, and discovered that Wald's very next sentence was:
It will help to digress for a moment to ask what one means by "impossible."​
Wald then spends more than a page on how the colloquial meaning of "impossible" is different from the scientific meaning. He argues that the colloquial meaning is the wrong one to use, because the problems are too far removed from what a non-scientist is used to.
So, the quoted sentences were strictly rhetorical. Wald was creating a problem, so that he could launch into his answer. The article as a whole is indeed objective science. The reason the quote sounds odd is because it was quoted out of context.
To learn more about Dr. Wald, let us see what Dr. Wald says (not in SA):
George Wald – Banquet Speech

George Wald's speech at the Nobel Banquet in Stockholm, December 10, 1967

Your Majesty, Royal Highnesses, Exellencies, Ladies, Gentlemen, and fellow students:

A scientist should be the happiest of men. Not that science isn't serious; but as everyone knows, being serious is one way of being happy, just as being gay is one way of being unhappy.

A scientist lives with all reality. There is nothing better. To know reality is to accept it, and eventually to love it.

I tell my students to try early in life to find an unattainable objective. The trouble with most of the things that people want is that they get them. No scientist needs to worry on that score. For him there is always the further horizon. Science goes from question to question; big questions, and little, tentative answers. The questions as they age grow ever broader, the answers are seen to be more limited.

A scientist is in a sense a learned small boy. There is something of the scientist in every small boy. Others must outgrow it. Scientists can stay that way all their lives.

I have lived much of my life among molecules. They are good company. I tell my students to try to know molecules, so well that when they have some question involving molecules, they can ask themselves, What would I do if I were that molecule? I tell them, Try to feel like a molecule; and if you work hard, who knows? Some day you may get to feel like a big molecule!

So we have much to be thankful for. With this great honor you cast a radiance upon our science. We who work in vision are happy to have it made so visible.

I am glad to be able to bring this offering to the memory of my teacher, Selig Hecht, whose widow Gelia is here with us tonight; to my wife, who is also my closest co-worker; and to my co-workers at home, particularly Paul Brown, who for twenty years has done so much himself, and with us all.

But there is something more. The grocer, the butcher, the taxi man, all seem delighted to share in our pleasure. The Nobel Prize is an honor unique in the world in having found its way into the hearts and minds of simple people everywhere. It casts a light of peace and reason upon us all; and for that I am especially grateful.

Nitai

Darwin Made a Mistake

Three monkeys sat on a coconut tree,
Discussing things as they're said to be;
Said one to the others "Now listen, you two
There's a certain rumour that can't be true
That man descended from our noble race:
The very idea is a big disgrace.
No monkey ever deserted his wife
Staved her babies and ruined her life;
And you've never known a mother-monk
To leave her babies with others to bunk,
Or pass them on from one to another
Till they scarcely know who was their mother;
And another thing you'll never see
A monk building a fence around a coconut tree
And let the coconuts go to waste
Forbidding all other monks to taste;
Why, if I'd put a fence round the tree
Starvation would force you to steal from me;
Here's another think a monk won't do
Go out at night and get on the stew
Or use a gun or club or knife
To take some other monkey's life.
Yes, man DESCENDED - with all his fuss,
But, brothers, he didn't descent from US!"

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
actually Chimps do murder, steal, rape, have teritories keeping outsiders out, pass around thier children to be baby-sat by others and so on....
On the other hand they also use tools, show love for one another, mourn dead freiends and relitives, and adopt orphaned babies..

we are more alike than not.

Uncertaindrummer

Passerbye said:
Where in the Bible does God say He lives outside time?
WHAT? You think God is limited by ANYTHING? time is relevant even for US. A person moving close to the speed of light experiences time differently than someone sitting still on Earth. And yet GOD, all powerful all knowing all present GOD is limtied by the constraints of time? I am sorry but it is this kind of absurdity which puts Christianity in a bad light.

There are a few theories on how the light from stars can be seen but they are just theories, as far as I know. But then... so are a lot of other things. I shall wait to answer this part untill I gain some more information on how the light would get here.
Here's a theory... The stars were created, they sent out their light, and after a couple million years, it reached Earth... Hmmm... seems reasonable to me!

Uncertaindrummer

painted wolf said:
actually Chimps do murder, steal, rape, have teritories keeping outsiders out, pass around thier children to be baby-sat by others and so on....
On the other hand they also use tools, show love for one another, mourn dead freiends and relitives, and adopt orphaned babies..

we are more alike than not.

They still make decisions based soley (sp?) on instinct, not reasoning capacities. Or at least I think they do. Not exactly a super-informed scientist am I. lol

greatcalgarian

Uncertaindrummer said:
They still make decisions based soley (sp?) on instinct, not reasoning capacities. Or at least I think they do. Not exactly a super-informed scientist am I. lol
Give them time, give them time, evolution will then end with

PLANET OF THE APES:jam:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
And humans don't?

Thats a big judgement to make... that the decisions that another lifeform makes are simple 'instinct' but the judgements of your own species are some how 'reasoning'.

Evolution is stupid! How do we turn into humans from monkeys! There was Adem and Eve, are they some kind of different type of humans? Are we monkey humans or God's humans?

niceguy

Actually we and monkeys and apes share a common ancestor. Still we are so much alike that it is possible for an ape to to talk using sign language. Other apes such as orangutangs and gorillas are also capaple of learning sign language. Sure they their language skills are not as advanced as ours but they can get the message through if they have had the proper training. I get tmpression that they can do pretty much anything we do, to a lesser level.

http://www.prime-apes.org/index.html

Ronule

sprinkled wings said:
Evolution is stupid! How do we turn into humans from monkeys! There was Adem and Eve, are they some kind of different type of humans? Are we monkey humans or God's humans?
Woah, settle down now. It's just a theory, no need to get all worked up. Nobody knows the truth, and we may not for a long time. Just settle down and don't worry about it.

Well ok, what some of you all are saying is true! Apes and monkeys came from the same thing as we did, God. So maybe that connects us in some sort of way that makes humans think we are evolved monkeys.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
how do you know that Evolution wasn't simply a tool of God in the process of creation?

seems to make more sence to me than God just snapping its fingers.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Because the Bible doesn't say that God made a bunch of microorganisms that turned into men over millions of years. The Bible says God made man, and fish, and birds, etc. And he did it all in 6 days.

I think that is what sprinkled wings is trying to say.