• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am....

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Today I read something about the people who go their own way no matter what anyone else thinks about it. It is called self-referenced and it is what I am.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I understand ...go your own way.....

I still iron my pants and shine my shoes
even though I work in a factory as a toolmaker

do I stand out?.....am I like the next guy?

heavens!.....no

or is that?.......heaven knows

Milton Platt

Today I read something about the people who go their own way no matter what anyone else thinks about it. It is called self-referenced and it is what I am.

That's a pretty big bucket.....
if you unpack that you will find it full of all sorts of different people with all different levels of reasoning ability and many who simply are rationalizing a belief that is devoid of underlying reasoning.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's a pretty big bucket.....
if you unpack that you will find it full of all sorts of different people with all different levels of reasoning ability and many who simply are rationalizing a belief that is devoid of underlying reasoning.
LOL. OK? Do you want me to know what that means? If you care, please reword it. It sounds interesting, but I don't know what it means.

Some people care to be known as a Christian. I believe in Christ, but I do not care if anyone else recognizes me as that.

The way I think about myself is called self-referenced. Or, it isn't. I don't know.

I think most people here on the forum are also like that. Except for the Jehovah's Witnesses. Their religion is to look good to other people. I am not making that up.

Milton Platt

LOL. OK? Do you want me to know what that means? If you care, please reword it. It sounds interesting, but I don't know what it means.

Some people care to be known as a Christian. I believe in Christ, but I do not care if anyone else recognizes me as that.

The way I think about myself is called self-referenced. Or, it isn't. I don't know.

I think most people here on the forum are also like that. Except for the Jehovah's Witnesses. Their religion is to look good to other people. I am not making that up.

Yeah, I guess that sentence was a bit confusing....trying to pack too much into it.
I think that concept was called self-actualization for decades. I guess we needed a new buzzword.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yeah, I guess that sentence was a bit confusing....trying to pack too much into it.
I think that concept was called self-actualization for decades. I guess we needed a new buzzword.
I think the difference between self-reference and self-actualization is the same as the difference between what a person is and what a person will become.

Take fashion, for instance. Some people follow fashion trends. They are not self-referenced. They refer to what other people like and they follow suit. Someone who is self-referenced dresses for herself or for her own needs. She might think she has to look right, but not for anybody else. She will refer to herself when making life choices. She won't follow the crowd.

I think that either way can also be for self-actualization. Self-referenced might be a shortcut to self-actualization.