• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Am You Are Me

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
How can you be me? The answer is time

"That you believe you were your five-year-old self is grounds to believe that you can be another person, right now, while still being you, argues our executive director in this stimulating theoretical essay."

What do you say, are We All just Me?

Am I you? Or am I me?

Who are you?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Any comment on the essay?
I think you captured the most important aspects of the article. From my perspective the dissassociation depends on intimate knowledge of the other person and a strong sense of empathy. By targetting shared or universal emotive qualites you could be me, and I could be you in a limited way in spirit.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I do find it interesting that our interactions with space-time, is what keeps the very fabric of our ability to logically percieve reality intact.

MikeF

Premium Member

"That you believe you were your five-year-old self is grounds to believe that you can be another person, right now, while still being you, argues our executive director in this stimulating theoretical essay."

Am I you? Or am I me?

Who are you?

Non-coherent. Relies solely on authors "intuition", or unsubstantiated ideation.

In short, this is not a thing.

Bathos Logos

Am I you? Or am I me?

Who are you?
No denying that we are all, individually, just as "trapped" in our own bodies now as we were at 5 years old. It's a continuum of existence and consciousness, all occurring within a single, slowly changing physical medium. And one that can't be shared across parties. All experience points to this. I can't see your version of the color spectrum. I can't know what lemon tastes like for you. I can't know what it feels like to move your arm, or you mine. I don't share the intricacies of your makeup - your maladies, physical or mental foibles, memories, the route that particular neural activities fire off in order for your brain to retrieve the mental image of an apple. We're so different in the minutiae that it is ridiculous to even consider that we could be "as one" in any practical sense. Can we assess and understand that we are similar in the meta-categories of our separate existences? Things like what we are made of, that we feel emotions, think thoughts, can perform similar feats, etc.? Sure. Easy peasy. Am I "you" by any measure of what that might practically mean? No.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
:cool:

Maybe 2 people must be identical to perceive the Divine identical.

Sub reality w/Divine if you wish.

1- In some ways reality is One.
2- In some ways reality is Many.
3- In some ways reality is both One and Many.
4- In some ways reality is One but indescribable.
5- In some ways reality is Many but indescribable.
6- In some ways reality is both One and Many yet still indescribable.
7- In some ways reality is just plain indescribable.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Sub reality w/Divine if you wish.

1- In some ways reality is One.
2- In some ways reality is Many.
3- In some ways reality is both One and Many.
4- In some ways reality is One but indescribable.
5- In some ways reality is Many but indescribable.
6- In some ways reality is both One and Many yet still indescribable.
7- In some ways reality is just plain indescribable.

You used the word "perceive". I answered with that in mind. Perceive is subjective, hence no need for boxes. Human (mind) is too diverse to get two people to "perceive" the same

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
You used the word "perceive". I answered with that in mind. Perceive is subjective, hence no need for boxes. Human (mind) is too diverse to get two people to "perceive" the same

Which is why diversity, Plurality and the Many are to be accounted for and respected.