• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am reading the Quran, Gospel, Psalms, Tora, BoMormon, Avesta and i wonder if the Vedas are also...

W3bcrowf3r

It's not me with the problem here so I don't need your "advice". I'm not interested in reading the Vedas in Sanskrit. You should consider why you care so much about what a book says.

I am going to stop this discussion. I was asking help from someone who knows Sanskrit.

Sorry, but i do not want to base my belief about a Book on your opinion.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Lol, you assume something which you don't know. That's not right.

Lets stop this discussion. I want answers. And not baseless discussions.
People have given you answers and you refuse to listen. You don't want to read about the cultural context of the Vedas and the religion they stem from. You haven't even answered why it's so important to you that the Vedas be monotheistic. You think that everyone is lying to you and there's some big conspiracy going on. Even if we had a Sanskrit expert, they would tell you the same thing and you'd accuse them of lying, too. The problem is within your mode of thinking, not us.

You can stop replying to me at any time. I'm not forcing you to talk to me.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I am a Scripture only guy. I already listened to so many different denominations. And i always found at least one doctrine i just don't agree with. That's why i protect myself from them by not talking about topics with them. The majority of us do not even know the original languages of the Scriptures, which means that we might be wrong without even knowing it.

I don't feel any need to protect my beliefs by avoiding talking to those with very different beliefs including Hindus, Budhists, atheists, gays, Jews, Christians and Muslims. I look to what we have in common rather than what divides us.

For me scriptures are very important, but if I became preoccupied with scriptures only I would become a hermit and recluse. Besides, it is a massive undertaking to learn all scriptures in their original languages. Then you need to learn the historic context to make sense of the language. With the passing of time it becomes an impossible task. Take the Hebrew Bible for example and Moses. Other than sacred scripture there isn't a shred of evidence to suggest the Hebrew people were ever in Egypt or spent 40 years in the desert. They may well have been but that history is lost.

Ah i believe if we know who Christ is and we reject him, that such a thing would be not wise. He is Christ after all. I also believe in a literal Resurrection. I believe in Miracles. Else the virgin birth wouldn't be true, and many other things. I already witnessed some personal miracles myself.

I have no problem with the virgin birth and all the miracles in the bible including the resurrection and ascension of Christ may be literally true. I wasn't there so am reliant on scripture. The problem with the ascension of Christ as recorded in Acts of the Apostles 1:9-11 is the reliance of a cosmology that is redundant...unless you believe heaven is literally up in the sky and earth below us.

What did you mean with you left Christianity? You mean the denominations? Or the Gospel? I think leaving the denominations is what every intelligent person must do.

I was a Baptist and became a Baha'i. I believed in the Bible then and continue to do so today. I believe in the same God and Jesus as my Christian brothers and sisters after all. I have a different take on what some of the scriptures mean.

And why did you find or choose the Bahai Faith? I haven't read their Scripture yet.

The Baha'i Faith is a universalist religion. Christianity is not, nor is Hinduism.

I spent time exploring other religions including Buddhism and Hinduism. I found in both faiths a light I could not deny. However Hinduism is anti-Abrahamic. Christianity is anti everything that isn't Christianity. That's just a consequence of history of what these religions have become.

Besides I find in Baha'u'llah's Revelation the same spiritual potency I find in the Torah, Gospels, Quran and Gita. More importantly the Teachings appear much more relevant to the modern world.

Hope that makes sense. :)

W3bcrowf3r

People have given you answers and you refuse to listen. You don't want to read about the cultural context of the Vedas and the religion they stem from. You haven't even answered why it's so important to you that the Vedas be monotheistic. You think that everyone is lying to you and there's some big conspiracy going on. Even if we had a Sanskrit expert, they would tell you the same thing and you'd accuse them of lying, too. The problem is within your mode of thinking, not us.

You can stop replying to me at any time. I'm not forcing you to talk to me.

I havent seen a single person quoting verses from the Vedas and explaining them word for word from Sanskrit to English.

For me as a Monotheist, i want to feed my spiritual hunger with Gods Words. So where i see a Scripture and i think it might be Inspired, i go learn the language so that i can read the original. But i also keep myself limited to only the big main religions, since i believe if there are smaller ones, and if they are true, they must teach the same anyways. My time is limited. And i think learning Arabic, Greek, Hebrew and maybe Sanskrit would be enough for me.

I dont judge Scriptures with what people do in name of the Books. I also do not follow or take culture as a source. I read the Book Itself.

You should stop thinking for me. You wont know how i will react. And you dont know the truth about this topic as well. But what i know is that you have a lot of preassumptions. And i want to advice you that such a thing is very dangerous when it comes to faith.

W3bcrowf3r

I don't feel any need to protect my beliefs by avoiding talking to those with very different beliefs including Hindus, Budhists, atheists, gays, Jews, Christians and Muslims. I look to what we have in common rather than what divides us.

For me scriptures are very important, but if I became preoccupied with scriptures only I would become a hermit and recluse. Besides, it is a massive undertaking to learn all scriptures in their original languages. Then you need to learn the historic context to make sense of the language. With the passing of time it becomes an impossible task. Take the Hebrew Bible for example and Moses. Other than sacred scripture there isn't a shred of evidence to suggest the Hebrew people were ever in Egypt or spent 40 years in the desert. They may well have been but that history is lost.

I have no problem with the virgin birth and all the miracles in the bible including the resurrection and ascension of Christ may be literally true. I wasn't there so am reliant on scripture. The problem with the ascension of Christ as recorded in Acts of the Apostles 1:9-11 is the reliance of a cosmology that is redundant...unless you believe heaven is literally up in the sky and earth below us.

I was a Baptist and became a Baha'i. I believed in the Bible then and continue to do so today. I believe in the same God and Jesus as my Christian brothers and sisters after all. I have a different take on what some of the scriptures mean.

The Baha'i Faith is a universalist religion. Christianity is not, nor is Hinduism.

I spent time exploring other religions including Buddhism and Hinduism. I found in both faiths a light I could not deny. However Hinduism is anti-Abrahamic. Christianity is anti everything that isn't Christianity. That's just a consequence of history of what these religions have become.

Besides I find in Baha'u'llah's Revelation the same spiritual potency I find in the Torah, Gospels, Quran and Gita. More importantly the Teachings appear much more relevant to the modern world.

Ah okey. Well, i wish you good luck in your journey.

Know that we already know half of the Truth. Love God and Love your neighbor. Thats all we have to do.

Anyways, i am a person who doesn't compare a Book with People. And i do not compare a Book with organised religion.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's the thing:

Why are you trying to force all of these beliefs together? They are separate belief systems for very good reasons and one simply cannot compare Judaism to any slice of Hinduism, or Islam to Mormonism. I do, however, think that your effort to look into all is a good thing. That you seem to want to learn should not be criticised. Be that as it may, when you take a well-known polytheistic text such as the Vedas and try to insist that there is a monotheistic reading, you are being dishonest with yourself, and only because of your somewhat misplaced noble agenda to unite the beliefs into a coherent whole. This simply cannot be done.

There are plenty of faiths which I think would suit you just fine if you are a staunch monotheist. You could be a Muslim, even if just a Qur'an only Muslim, or a Sikh, that's a straightforward and beautiful faith. I would suggest Noahidism, but unfortunately you are against the Talmud, and this is a shame because the Talmud is not what people think it is. Still, one can infer Noahidism from the mere fact that Judaism exists and there are non-Jews who worship the Jewish G-d. Or you could be a Hanif.

What I'm saying is that these religions do not all teach the same thing and in order to make them appear to, one must twist them all sorts of ways until they become unrecognisable, and only to fit what you think they should say. If you do a thorough, honest study of all these religions, you will see that their core beliefs and doctrines are mostly incompatible with each other and this is bound to end in failure. The Baha'i faith has tried it and to anyone outside of the religion it just looks like a hot mess.

I hope that you can find what you seek and that G-d will bless you.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I havent seen a single person quoting verses from the Vedas and explaining them word for word from Sanskrit to English.

For me as a Monotheist, i want to feed my spiritual hunger with Gods Words. So where i see a Scripture and i think it might be Inspired, i go learn the language so that i can read the original. But i also keep myself limited to only the big main religions, since i believe if there are smaller ones, and if they are true, they must teach the same anyways. My time is limited. And i think learning Arabic, Greek, Hebrew and maybe Sanskrit would be enough for me.

I dont judge Scriptures with what people do in name of the Books. I also do not follow or take culture as a source. I read the Book Itself.

You should stop thinking for me. You wont know how i will react. And you dont know the truth about this topic as well. But what i know is that you have a lot of preassumptions. And i want to advice you that such a thing is very dangerous when it comes to faith.
You can go ahead and learn Sanskrit to read the Vedas. That's fine. You'll just see that we were right. Lol. I know enough about the Vedas to know where they came from and what they have in them.

There's nothing wrong with wanting scripture but not every scripture teaches the same things. You sound more Abrahamic but the Dharmic religions are a very different paradigm. Some modern Hindus may be more monotheistic but the ancient Vedas, which are from a culture that largely doesn't exist anymore, are not. It's just a fact. That's why I said it's probably best for you to stick with the Bible and the Qur'an because you're not going to find what you're looking for in the Vedas. But go ahead and look. Just don't say we didn't tell you so. Lol. :shrug:

This site has Sanskrit versions of some of the books: Sacred-Texts: Hinduism

W3bcrowf3r

Oh and what made you overcome the black box of organised religion? Or are you still following a group who is claiming to follow the Bahai faith?

Im curious to stories of people.

I was a salafi. You can compare them with Greek Orthodox..

My story is very weird. And i see it as a miracle.
I once was in a mosque and i asked someone if they know this narration (which i later found out was fabricated). And I HEARD him say no, 'i dont follow that source'.
So i was like how can he disbelieve in such a source, which means that he doesnt have any 'islam' left at all.
I went home, did research on the internet and found Scripture alone believers. And thats when the questioning started and how i started leaving organised religion and studying Scripture more instead listening to others.
Few months later, i say 'hey' to the guy. I found 'this' out. And he was like 'no, man i believe in the narrations/source'. And i was like wtf, i heard you say 'that'. So we went both our ways.
Why do i believe it was a miracle? Because that person died, he was very young. He had the most beautiful smile i ever saw on a human face. So i think God made it appear like that, and that was the reason how i started my critical journey.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

The Mahamrityunjaya Mantra, Rigveda 7.59.12

ॐ त्र्यं॑बकं यजामहे सु॒गन्धिं॑ पुष्टि॒वर्ध॑नम् ।
उ॒र्वा॒रु॒कमि॑व॒ बन्ध॑नान् मृ॒त्योर् मु॑क्षीय॒ माऽमृता॑त् ।

om tryambakam yajāmahe sugandhim puṣṭivardhanam
urvārukamiva bandhanān mṛtyor mukṣīya mā'mṛtāt

ॐ aum = is a sacred/mystical syllable in Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism & Sikhism.
त्र्यम्बकं tryambakam = to three-eyed one (accusative case)
यजामहे yajāmahe = in yagya in worship, (locative case)
सुगन्धिम् sugandhim = to fragrance, (accusative case)
पुष्टि puṣṭi = nourishment, sustenance
वर्धनम् vardhanam = increasing, flourishing
उर्वारुकमिव urvārukam-iva = cucumber as (in the accusative case)
बन्धनान् bandhanān = "from bondage {i.e. from the stem of cucumber} (of the gourd)
मृत्योर्मुक्षीय mṛtyormukṣīya = liberate from death
माऽमृतात् अमृतात् = amṛtāt = by amrita (amrita is the "nectar of immortality"... quite famous in puranic stories), by immortality

Om, we worship the Three-Eyed One (Lord Shiva)
Who is fragrant and Who nourishes all beings.
May we be liberated from death for the sake of immortality,
even as the cucumber is severed from bondage to the creeper.

BOOYAH!!! I win!!!

P.S. I can also break down the devanagari, for extra points, y'know. For example:

यजामहे yajāmahe

ya (short a)
जा jaa (long a)
ma (short a)
हे he (short e)

yuh-jaa-muh-heh

I'm such a show-off. :D

Last edited:

W3bcrowf3r

Here's the thing:

Why are you trying to force all of these beliefs together? They are separate belief systems for very good reasons and one simply cannot compare Judaism to any slice of Hinduism, or Islam to Mormonism. I do, however, think that your effort to look into all is a good thing. That you seem to want to learn should not be criticised. Be that as it may, when you take a well-known polytheistic text such as the Vedas and try to insist that there is a monotheistic reading, you are being dishonest with yourself, and only because of your somewhat misplaced noble agenda to unite the beliefs into a coherent whole. This simply cannot be done.

There are plenty of faiths which I think would suit you just fine if you are a staunch monotheist. You could be a Muslim, even if just a Qur'an only Muslim, or a Sikh, that's a straightforward and beautiful faith. I would suggest Noahidism, but unfortunately you are against the Talmud, and this is a shame because the Talmud is not what people think it is. Still, one can infer Noahidism from the mere fact that Judaism exists and there are non-Jews who worship the Jewish G-d. Or you could be a Hanif.

What I'm saying is that these religions do not all teach the same thing and in order to make them appear to, one must twist them all sorts of ways until they become unrecognisable, and only to fit what you think they should say. If you do a thorough, honest study of all these religions, you will see that their core beliefs and doctrines are mostly incompatible with each other and this is bound to end in failure. The Baha'i faith has tried it and to anyone outside of the religion it just looks like a hot mess.

I hope that you can find what you seek and that G-d will bless you.

Im not forcing anything. You talk about 'different' religions like you are 60 years old and found out that you disagree with them.

Relax. We are all still learning. And we should stop judging so fast.

I am not against everything in the Talmud. Some Truthful interpretation of the Tora is in it obviously.
But i am against giving it the title 'the second Law of Moses', which means in other words 'follow this besides the Words of God'.
And the thing is, i dont believe i need the Talmud to understand the Message of the Tanakh. Its Message is very simple, Love God and Love your neighbor.

Anyways, i am more 'Jewish' then you think. I am Arabic btw. I read both Quran and Tora nearly daily. And i try to uphold the Sabbath as well. Its very good to have 1 day of and the other six for working. I also read the Gospel. Jesus Christ is Jewish. So..

Anyways. I am not that type who follows organised religions. I try to read the Holy Scriptures if i find out that they are Truelly Inspired, just for Inspiration. I already learned what the whole Message of God is. Its Love God and Love your Neighbor.

W3bcrowf3r

The Mahamrityunjaya Mantra, Rigveda 7.59.12

ॐ त्र्यं॑बकं यजामहे सु॒गन्धिं॑ पुष्टि॒वर्ध॑नम् ।
उ॒र्वा॒रु॒कमि॑व॒ बन्ध॑नान् मृ॒त्योर् मु॑क्षीय॒ माऽमृता॑त् ।

om tryambakam yajāmahe sugandhim puṣṭivardhanam
urvārukamiva bandhanān mṛtyor mukṣīya mā'mṛtāt

ॐ aum = is a sacred/mystical syllable in Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism & Sikhism.
त्र्यम्बकं tryambakam = to three-eyed one (accusative case)
यजामहे yajāmahe = in yagya in worship, (locative case)
सुगन्धिम् sugandhim = to fragrance, (accusative case)
पुष्टि puṣṭi = nourishment, sustenance
वर्धनम् vardhanam = increasing, flourishing
उर्वारुकमिव urvārukam-iva = cucumber as (in the accusative case)
बन्धनान् bandhanān = "from bondage {i.e. from the stem of cucumber} (of the gourd)
मृत्योर्मुक्षीय mṛtyormukṣīya = liberate from death
माऽमृतात् अमृतात् = amṛtāt = by amrita (amrita is the "nectar of immortality"... quite famous in puranic stories), by immortality

Om, we worship the Three-Eyed One (Lord Shiva)
Who is fragrant and Who nourishes all beings.
May we be liberated from death for the sake of immortality,
even as the cucumber is severed from bondage to the creeper.

BOOYAH!!! I win!!!

P.S. I can also break down the devanagari, for extra points, y'know. For example:

यजामहे yajāmahe

ya (short a)
जा jaa (long a)
ma (short a)
हे he (short e)

yuh-jaa-muh-heh

I'm such a show-off. :D

May we indeed be liberated from the spiritual death.

W3bcrowf3r

You can go ahead and learn Sanskrit to read the Vedas. That's fine. You'll just see that we were right. Lol. I know enough about the Vedas to know where they came from and what they have in them.

There's nothing wrong with wanting scripture but not every scripture teaches the same things. You sound more Abrahamic but the Dharmic religions are a very different paradigm. Some modern Hindus may be more monotheistic but the ancient Vedas, which are from a culture that largely doesn't exist anymore, are not. It's just a fact. That's why I said it's probably best for you to stick with the Bible and the Qur'an because you're not going to find what you're looking for in the Vedas. But go ahead and look. Just don't say we didn't tell you so. Lol. :shrug:

This site has Sanskrit versions of some of the books: Sacred-Texts: Hinduism

I have just one question for you.

Do you know Sanskrit? If not, why are you sharing a link of a Book written in Sanskrit and telling me what to believe about it while you can't read Sanskrit?

How many times am i going to tell you that i do not want to follow what organised religions say in the name of the Scriptures they claim to follow :)?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Im not forcing anything. You talk about 'different' religions like you are 60 years old and found out that you disagree with them.
I have done a lot of research into them as it is one of my passions. However, one only needs a little research to see differences that make texts incompatible. For example, the idea that Jesus is the messiah. This is a binary; he either is or he isn't. Even if one believes he is, does Hinduism have such a concept? Did Jesus teach about Shiva and Brahman and reaching Moksha? These are simply never going to work together.

Relax. We are all still learning. And we should stop judging so fast.
Of course

I am not against everything in the Talmud. Some Truthful interpretation of the Tora is in it obviously.
But i am against giving it the title 'the second Law of Moses', which means in other words 'follow this besides the Words of God'.
And the thing is, i dont believe i need the Talmud to understand the Message of the Tanakh. Its Message is very simple, Love God and Love your neighbor.
This is wrong. The Talmud is called The Oral Law. It explains the Laws in the Torah and goes into Rabbinic discussion thereof. For example, how, exactly, does one keep Shabbat? What exactly does it mean to 'work'? How does one 'afflict one's soul' or how do we figure when a festival should be? The Laws are not different. Sure, there are plenty of spiritual messages about love and G-d and other people, but for day to day living one doesn't just need to know the Law, but how to apply the Law.

Anyways, i am more 'Jewish' then you think. I am Arabic btw. I read both Quran and Tora nearly daily. And i try to uphold the Sabbath as well. Its very good to have 1 day of and the other six for working. I also read the Gospel. Jesus Christ is Jewish. So..
You can only be Jewish if you are born of a Jewish mother (cf. the books of Ezra and Nechemiah) or convert. I, however, applaud your efforts and wish you the best.

Anyways. I am not that type who follows organised religions. I try to read the Holy Scriptures if i find out that they are Truelly Inspired, just for Inspiration. I already learned what the whole Message of God is. Its Love God and Love your Neighbor.
You would make a good Noahide or Hanif.

G-d bless.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
May we indeed be liberated from the spiritual death.

You didn't praise me for being the single person to quote the Vedas and give the word for word translation into English. I haz teh sad. :(

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh and what made you overcome the black box of organised religion? Or are you still following a group who is claiming to follow the Bahai faith?

Im curious to stories of people.

I was a salafi. You can compare them with Greek Orthodox..

My story is very weird. And i see it as a miracle.
I once was in a mosque and i asked someone if they know this narration (which i later found out was fabricated). And I HEARD him say no, 'i dont follow that source'.
So i was like how can he disbelieve in such a source, which means that he doesnt have any 'islam' left at all.
I went home, did research on the internet and found Scripture alone believers. And thats when the questioning started and how i started leaving organised religion and studying Scripture more instead listening to others.
Few months later, i say 'hey' to the guy. I found 'this' out. And he was like 'no, man i believe in the narrations/source'. And i was like wtf, i heard you say 'that'. So we went both our ways.
Why do i believe it was a miracle? Because that person died, he was very young. He had the most beautiful smile i ever saw on a human face. So i think God made it appear like that, and that was the reason how i started my critical journey.

Interesting story. You may find your understanding of your experiences and the miracles you have witnessed change over time.

You seem sincere and determine to see the underlying oneness and truth all all the religions. I like that as I too believe there is just One God who is at work.

I have no problem with organised religion. I went from one organised religion (Christianity) to another (Baha'i Faith).

Reconciling monotheism with Hinduism on RF is easy in my own head as I know it is for you. Any hint of trying to do it on RF evokes intense opposition. I don't know about you, but I'm not hearing too much encouragement for your endeavours. I personally would be impressed if you could learn the Vedas (including in Sanskrit) well enough to prove monotheism.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I have just one question for you.

Do you know Sanskrit? If not, why are you sharing a link of a Book written in Sanskrit and telling me what to believe about it while you can't read Sanskrit?

How many times am i going to tell you that i do not want to follow what organised religions say in the name of the Scriptures they claim to follow :)?
It doesn't matter if you know Sanskrit or not. I don't share this paranoia that translators are lying to me. I just read reviews of the translation and chose one that's well-regarded. I guess I should learn ancient Greek to read the Iliad. :rolleyes:

W3bcrowf3r

I have done a lot of research into them as it is one of my passions. However, one only needs a little research to see differences that make texts incompatible. For example, the idea that Jesus is the messiah. This is a binary; he either is or he isn't. Even if one believes he is, does Hinduism have such a concept? Did Jesus teach about Shiva and Brahman and reaching Moksha? These are simply never going to work together.

Of course

This is wrong. The Talmud is called The Oral Law. It explains the Laws in the Torah and goes into Rabbinic discussion thereof. For example, how, exactly, does one keep Shabbat? What exactly does it mean to 'work'? How does one 'afflict one's soul' or how do we work out when a festival should be? The Laws are not different. Sure, there are plenty of spiritual messages about love and G-d and other people, but for day to day living, one doesn't just need to know the Law, but how to apply the Law.

You can only be Jewish if you are born of a Jewish mother, or convert. I, however, applaud your efforts and wish you the best.

You would make a good Noahide or Hanif.

G-d bless.

What is a lot of research for you? For me a lot of research is knowing the languages of the Books we are discussing and having read them a dozen of times from cover to cover with a sincere open heart.

I believe the name of God is YHVH, He Who Is Who He Is. And i try to uphold the Tanakh as much as possible.
And besides the Tanakh i also try to uphold the Quran and Gospel.
And i am reading even more then that. But all still in translations though... :/. I am still learning the languages..

W3bcrowf3r

Interesting story. You may find your understanding of your experiences and the miracles you have witnessed change over time.

You seem sincere and determine to see the underlying oneness and truth all all the religions. I like that as I too believe there is just One God who is at work.

I have no problem with organised religion. I went from one organised religion (Christianity) to another (Baha'i Faith).

Reconciling monotheism with Hinduism on RF is easy in my own head as I know it is for you. Any hint of trying to do it on RF evokes intense opposition. I don't know about you, but I'm not hearing too much encouragement for your endeavours. I personally would be impressed if you could learn the Vedas (including in Sanskrit) well enough to prove monotheism.

Well i know i am just asking on a forum. I am still pausing the quest of learning Sanskrit and finding out myself.

I am just hoping to hear from someone who already knows Sanskrit and understands correctly.

I already have read that there are Hindus who believe in Monotheism. Would be good to speak with them about it.