• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am Quitting California

Suave

Simulated character
A friend is moving from an ordinary home in NJ
where his property taxes are over $10K/year.
His new smaller home in rural PA will cost $300/year.

My home property tax is also just about $3,000/ year. That's pretty darn reasonable in comparison to California or New Jersey property taxes.

Suave

Simulated character
Mine is right about $10K/year.
But Ann Arbor has high taxes.
Well, at least you have a final four caliber collegiate football team as well as a pretty governor to show for it. :)

gov-gretchen-whitmer-16x9.jpg

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Living close to those benefits means homes
costing millions. It's great for the wealthy, eg,
@sun rise. But the rest of us can't afford it.

Wealthy? Not hardly except for my home which we bought decades ago and have property values to thank. The other part is both of us having depression era parents and both of us having the lesson about living well within our means embedded in our brains.

My father bought cars for cash and my wife's father had a large basement full of this and that because it might be needed and spending money on anything was to be avoided if you could have a stockpile of things which could be used or fixed and used.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wealthy? Not hardly except for my home which we bought decades ago and have property values to thank. The other part is both of us having depression era parents and both of us having the lesson about living well within our means embedded in our brains.

My father bought cars for cash and my wife's father had a large basement full of this and that because it might be needed and spending money on anything was to be avoided if you could have a stockpile of things which could be used or fixed and used.
The important thing is that you're wealthy now,
& have your property taxes subsidized by new buyers.
You go, dawg!
I approve, but I favor tax reform for a fairer burden.
(I know you do too. See how nice I am to point that out?)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The important thing is that you're wealthy now,

Not by the standards of those who have seen their wealth double during COVID. And not by these standards: Are You Rich? This Is the Best Way to Find Out

How high does your net worth have to be in order to be rich?

Schwab conducted a Modern Wealth survey in 2021 and found that Americans believe you need an average personal net worth of $1.9 million in order to be considered wealthy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not by the standards of those who have seen their wealth double during COVID. And not by these standards: Are You Rich? This Is the Best Way to Find Out

How high does your net worth have to be in order to be rich?

Schwab conducted a Modern Wealth survey in 2021 and found that Americans believe you need an average personal net worth of $1.9 million in order to be considered wealthy.
So you're not a billionaire....yet.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yes, I've see other videos of folks who have found Mexico more hospitable.
There's other reasons though beside just the lower cost. If it was just me, I'd be ok with Mexico.
Strange. Sounds like the perfect country for all the migrants then.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My wife is an immigrant. For her the US was the land of golden opportunity.
Her opinion changed once she got here.
I know many immigrants (Iraq, Denmark, Korea, China, Iran,
Russia). who came here & did find a wonderful place to live.
Ain't nuthin perfect. But Ameristan's imperfections are better
than many others'. Your mileage may vary.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Did you know that a 1 mile taxi ride in SF CA
can cost you about $10,000? It's true!
Yellow Cab San Francisco. WARNING! - San Francisco Forum - Tripadvisor

Wow.

Thankfully, after the SF Chronicle prodded BofA, but after months of BofA denying the repeated documented appeals by the customer, they finally retracted the charge. The "uncooperative" taxi driver had not as of the article date been charged with a crime.

This was interesting, though:

Out of 3.5 million trips over the past two years, SFMTA has received only 26 overcharging complaints, none for an amount so high

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wow.

Thankfully, after the SF Chronicle prodded BofA, but after months of BofA denying the repeated documented appeals by the customer, they finally retracted the charge. The "uncooperative" taxi driver had not as of the article date been charged with a crime.

This was interesting, though:

Out of 3.5 million trips over the past two years, SFMTA has received only 26 overcharging complaints, none for an amount so high
Good for BOA.
There's much to be said for the internet holding feet
to the fire, & getting some positive results. Praise be
to youtube, dash cams, Gopro, body cams, & social
media.

I like paying cash in person for things. Credit card info
is easily stolen with readers....& those are not always
possible to spot because they can be installed inside
things, eg, gas pumps. Cash inspires diligence in
ensuring paying the right amount. It also provides
some anonymity regarding your travels & purchases.

Last edited: