• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am no longer a *blank* because *blank*

RestlessSoul

As if.

Your problems are not everyone's.

But I am not left to deal with my problems all alone, nor do I pretend that I am able to.

Those who make a big deal of standing on their own two feet, are often blown over by the slightest wind.

RestlessSoul

No man is an island =/= every man needs a crutch

Are you teetotal? Don’t smoke? Never take drugs? What about binge watching tv series, gambling, reading escapist literature?

There are of course, more healthy crutches, such as obsessive exercise, workaholism etc. And then there’s community, religion, God. Very rare is the man who has no need of any of these things.

Audie

Veteran Member
Are you teetotal? Don’t smoke? Never take drugs? What about binge watching tv series, gambling, reading escapist literature?

There are of course, more healthy crutches, such as obsessive exercise, workaholism etc. And then there’s community, religion, God. Very rare is the man who has no need of any of these things.

Community is a crutch. Dope is a crutch.
Air and water too.
Congrats, you have made the
word meaningless

GardenLady

I am no longer a Catholic because of doctrinal issues (including but not limited to Marian doctrines), uber-Catholic judgement of those they don't consider orthodox enough, institutional misogyny, and both the prevalence of abuse and the hierarchy's response to it. I am still a member of a creedal, liturgical Christian church (ELCA Lutheran) and am happy and active in a congregation that emphasizes the Good News and service to others.

pearl

I am no longer a Christian because I was not taught to critically think on the matter and decide for myself. Instead, I was told from birth that Jesus is God and the Bible is the literal truth.

And I remain a Christian because of critical thinking following critical scholarship. I would add
Psalm 24, about a peoples relationship with God.

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

Community is a crutch. Dope is a crutch.
Air and water too.
Congrats, you have made the
word meaningless

A crutch is something a person leans on, when in need of support. So are those other things*. How is that meaningless?

*Not air and water; they’re necessities, without which life is impossible. You might want to rethink that bit.

Audie

Veteran Member
A crutch is something a person leans on, when in need of support. So are those other things*. How is that meaningless?

*Not air and water; they’re necessities, without which life is impossible. You might want to rethink that bit.
I'm not the one who needs to rethink

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Is it fair for one to judge a religion based on it's adherents?
For Christianity, I think so. I seem to remember being taught in church that "Christian" meant "Christ like". Christians are called to be ambassadors of God, right?
I don't think so although they should be ambassadors. If you read the NT, it mentions a variety of Christians. Even Peter had bad moments.

I think it should be judged on Jesus and his message as we all strive to change. I am following Jesus and not humanity. Even I am in the process of transformation.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
This thread is open to everyone. From a religious perspective, what are you not anymore, and why?

I'll start.

I am no longer a Christian because I was not taught to critically think on the matter and decide for myself. Instead, I was told from birth that Jesus is God and the Bible is the literal truth. For that reason, I stepped back from my Christianity. This allows myself time to critically think on the matter, and truly decide for myself. Until then, I am rather unaffiliated, with Eastern leanings.

You can answer the flip side of this question.

I am now a *blank* because *blank*.

However, this is a response that I cannot give myself.
I use to be just believing there might be a God but after critically thinking and deciding for myself, I became a Christian at 28.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

How does engaging in any of those things entail needing them?

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Does that mean that you now renounce Christ altogether?

As a Unitarian Universalist I was never a Christian, so there is nothing to renounce. I do believe that Jesus held on to the most amount of divinity of any person ... but he is not the only person who is divine. I see all people as prophets of their own religions. Some of those prophets just happen to think that Jesus is also the son of God. That is just not the belief I take.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What were the questions? What were the answers?

That's too big a question for a post in a thread. Some of the questions were: what is the nature of divinity, is there life after death and what is the meaning and suffering.

Even to discuss suffering as a starting point leads to many other issues such as reincarnation and karma and the purpose of suffering. The purpose of suffering includes why a divine incarnation suffers. For example, at the scene of a bad car accident where Meher Baba was seriously and permanently injured and people died, that suffering has a purpose was illustrated by this:

"The whole thing happened in the flash of an eye. When I came to, I found I was the only one in the back of the car. I stepped out and went to the front to see how Baba was and saw him reclining in the front seat, with blood on his clothes and face. I never in my life have I seen such utter radiance and luster as was on Baba's face then! He was like a king, a victorious king who had won a great battle. Lord Krishna must have looked like that in his chariot on the victorious battlefield. The radiance was blinding! I could see nothing else, not the car, nor the surroundings, only Baba's face in glorious triumph!
After a few moments, Vishnu asked Baba if he was hurt much. Baba nodded, pointing to his mouth and leg, but gestured for Vishnu first to see how the others were.

Kfox

This thread is open to everyone. From a religious perspective, what are you not anymore, and why?

I'll start.

I am no longer a Christian because I was not taught to critically think on the matter and decide for myself. Instead, I was told from birth that Jesus is God and the Bible is the literal truth. For that reason, I stepped back from my Christianity. This allows myself time to critically think on the matter, and truly decide for myself. Until then, I am rather unaffiliated, with Eastern leanings.

You can answer the flip side of this question.

I am now a *blank* because *blank*.

However, this is a response that I cannot give myself.
I am no longer Christian because I attempted to read the bible from cover to cover and understand what I was reading; which resulted in me losing my faith.