• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am Curious About Other Faiths...

Catsmeow

Master of Epic Insanity
I was raised a Methodist Christian, but I can't help but feel extremely curious about other faiths and religions. I think I might convert to another faith, but I am unsure which one. I was looking up some religions, what the basic beliefs are and whatnot, and I think these sound the most attractive to me (based on looking at basic beliefs):

Liberal Quaker
Buddhism
Wicca

So if I get a viewer who practices or knows more about these three religions, maybe I can get a more in depth explanation of them. If you don't practice any of these, but would like to explain what you think would be a good choice, don't be shy! I just want some advice from someone who knows a lot about these religions or their own religion.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
I suggest posting in the different DIRs to reach your audience better. People are more than happy to answer questions there.

religion99

Jainism

Main Points:

1. We are beginingless and endless. No creator. No destroyer.
2. Everybody is independent. There is no "WHOLE" of which we are children or part or whatever.
3. We have to bear the consequences of all our actions. Bad actions (hurting feelings of others or animals) has bad consequences and good actions have good consequences.
4. Path to happiness is to get rid of all the dilusions. It is achivable for everybody who is ready to put effort towards it. Once liberated , happiness remains with you forever.

loopus

Loopy
It's My Birthday!
I was raised a Methodist Christian, but I can't help but feel extremely curious about other faiths and religions. I think I might convert to another faith, but I am unsure which one. I was looking up some religions, what the basic beliefs are and whatnot, and I think these sound the most attractive to me (based on looking at basic beliefs):

Liberal Quaker
Buddhism
Wicca

So if I get a viewer who practices or knows more about these three religions, maybe I can get a more in depth explanation of them. If you don't practice any of these, but would like to explain what you think would be a good choice, don't be shy! I just want some advice from someone who knows a lot about these religions or their own religion.

I think you should figure out what your beliefs are and then find a belief system that best matches it.

The three religions you listed don't have a lot in common. What attracts you to them?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Like Infinitum said, you should check out the DIRs; there's a lot of good information available there, and you are most likely to get answers from people who practice those religions there.

And welcome to RF.

Catsmeow

Master of Epic Insanity
Thanks! Well, I'm attracted to them for different reasons. I like Buddhism because of the self-discipline aspect of it, but I like the Liberal Quaker for the accepting nature of it (Quaker means 'friend') and I like Wicca because of the reverence for nature and being able to choose which deities you worship or make spells with.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Liberal Quaker
Buddhism
Wicca

Buddhism is complex and confusing to those unfamiliar at first, as there are many venues to take. It's a vast religion, so it may take quite awhile to locate something suitable for your particular disposition as well as getting the "gist" as to what it's all about. A look however at Buddhism's Four Noble Truths and Eightfold Path is a good way to initally start your investigation should you enter the gate to Buddhism.

A very good resource for Buddhist Studies is found here. (Buddha Dharma Education Association and Buddhanet.net) : http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...uPWiDg&usg=AFQjCNEeq6rHMO7LJjvZaFec-gI_XUhpxQ

From my experience, I find Zen* happens to be good direct practice to help cope with and "understand" reality as it is, and come to terms with it.

Be forewarned however. It's like Hotel California. You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

*In my case, Soto and Bompu Zen

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

Liberal Quaker
Buddhism
Wicca

I'm no longer neopagan myself, but the roots go deep. I'd be happy to answer any questions. :)

loverOfTruth

Liberal Quaker
Buddhism
Wicca

Are you only focused on those 3 religions ? Or are you open to learning about others outside of those 3 you mentioned ? May be you can learn from the stories of these former methodists.

[youtube]IYMKQKSV0bY[/youtube]
How the Bible Led Me to Islam: The Story of a Former Christian Youth Minister - Joshua Evans - YouTube

[youtube]dOZSrPF5GNo[/youtube]
A Christian Minister's Conversion to Islam - Dr. Jerald Dirks on TheDeenShow

I would be more than happy to answer any question you have about Islam. Peace.

Last edited:

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Buddhism is complex and confusing to those unfamiliar at first, as there are many venues to take. It's a vast religion, so it may take quite awhile to locate something suitable for your particular disposition as well as getting the "gist" as to what it's all about. A look however at Buddhism's Four Noble Truths and Eightfold Path is a good way to initally start your investigation should you enter the gate to Buddhism.

A very good resource for Buddhist Studies is found here. (Buddha Dharma Education Association and Buddhanet.net) : http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...uPWiDg&usg=AFQjCNEeq6rHMO7LJjvZaFec-gI_XUhpxQ

From my experience, I find Zen* happens to be good direct practice to help cope with and "understand" reality as it is, and come to terms with it.

Be forewarned however. It's like Hotel California. You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

*In my case, Soto and Bompu Zen

Like Nowhere Man said, Buddhism can be really confusing at first. But his advice is good: to start learning about Buddhism, start with learning about the Four Noble Truths and Noble Eightfold Path. These form the foundation of all Buddhist philosophy. Any questions you might have, just drop by the Buddhism DIR and ask away. There's about five or six Buddhists here, as well as people who combine Buddhism with other religions, particularly other Dharmic religions, who would be more than happy to answer your questions.