• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am challenged by those I live with

Mark Dohle

MonasteryOfTheHolySpirit01.jpg

I am challenged by those I live with

Every day in community life I am challenged by those I live with. It is my own limitations, wounds, and yes my desire to be the center of the world, the community, even if unconscious, that causes many of my problems. The “Conversion of Manners’ vow, gives me a way out, in the sense that it leads me to take responsibility for my situation and to not seek to blame others.--Br.MD

pearl

The two other men I knew were not monks or oblates by intention but they were monks in their unspoken permanent vow of conversion of manners. Merton stated, “The vow of conversatio morum is a vow to live in the Spirit”. It is aimed at spiritual virginity which is purity of heart. The point here is that the goal of monastic living is not seeking personal perfection. It is as Merton noted. “Christ is the center of monastic living. He is the source and the end. He is the way of the monk as well as his goal.”
And why is this? It is because they had at a critical junction in their lives decided that Christ was the pearl of great price. He would be their head and they would live a life worthy of His unmerited grace to them. They were in holy orders and unaware of it. Their conversion of manners took place outside the walls of a monastery. Amen
God bless

Soundings: Thomas Merton and Conversion of Manners (sanjoaquinsoundings.blogspot.com)

Mark Dohle

The two other men I knew were not monks or oblates by intention but they were monks in their unspoken permanent vow of conversion of manners. Merton stated, “The vow of conversatio morum is a vow to live in the Spirit”. It is aimed at spiritual virginity which is purity of heart. The point here is that the goal of monastic living is not seeking personal perfection. It is as Merton noted. “Christ is the center of monastic living. He is the source and the end. He is the way of the monk as well as his goal.”
And why is this? It is because they had at a critical junction in their lives decided that Christ was the pearl of great price. He would be their head and they would live a life worthy of His unmerited grace to them. They were in holy orders and unaware of it. Their conversion of manners took place outside the walls of a monastery. Amen
God bless

Soundings: Thomas Merton and Conversion of Manners (sanjoaquinsoundings.blogspot.com)
Beautiful, thank you, my friend.

Peace
Mark