• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Am Because You Are

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
We need others in order to define who we are? Does that make sense? Would we know who we are without having others as contrast?

Once again, a music video for your listening pleasure as you consider the above.

rocala

This is, I think, a very good question. Strangely it is exactly what I have been thinking about.

I have just read the superb novel, 'Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine'. Eleanor is a product of her upbringing and is judged accordingly by her colleagues. Life goes on and a few things here and there make her change and in turn peoples view of her changes. It is a beautiful and insightful read.

Who are we? Well that depends on the minute that you ask.

Very nice music choice by the way.

PureX

Veteran Member
We rarely realize this, but our 'identity' is a collective phenomenon that's spread out over a rather large number of people, and over a long period of time. And most of it we have little knowledge or control of. It's interesting how determinedly we think WE DECIDE who we are, and no one else! When in fact, that's not true at all.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
We need others in order to define who we are? Does that make sense? Would we know who we are without having others as contrast?

Once again, a music video for your listening pleasure as you consider the above.

I think we need order in our environment to define ourselves. I don't think the self, the experience of being consciously self-aware can work without it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It sounds like a mixture of good and bad luck plus a bit of injustice and a personal vice.

It's not biased. A little sarcastic. I remember seeing interviews on Michael Jackson and every interview except one the interviewer focused on MJs crimes. It's always good to have some balance but not at the expense of a person's right to dignity.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, because that is the difference between reality and a dream. In a dream people do what you cause them to do. In reality people are not predictable but can be influenced. Friends must be dangerous to be real, and there begins reality.

MNoBody

The Mayan had and still have a term for others
In Lak'ech Ala K'in - I'm another you

And the Mayan hold the record for having a stable civilization not yet surpassed....hmmmm wonder why?
they did not put a monetary system in between each other either......why would you if everyone is another you?
would you charge yourself for anything and expect payment?
something to reflect upon, in any case..

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
And the Mayan hold the record for having a stable civilization not yet surpassed....hmmmm wonder why?
they did not put a monetary system in between each other either......why would you if everyone is another you?
would you charge yourself for anything and expect payment?
something to reflect upon, in any case..
The monetary systems are an accounting system. Before that barter was the method of giving and taking.

MNoBody

The monetary systems are an accounting system. Before that barter was the method of giving and taking.
they had no consideration such as barter either
that would be akin to robbing peter to pay paul....or taking a loan with usury attached to pay a debto_O
consider lemon-aid stands...to wit: if there was no consideration there was no offense, yet if they put a sign up saying lemon-aid in exchange for currency [in any form], or "consideration", then it is a business transaction and falls into the jurisdiction of the monetary franchise system, which said agent was acting in the capacity of subsidiary for and is required to pay their percentage as per the Law.
at least that is the current court rulings on such matters from a perspective

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
"The Maya used several different mediums of exchange and in the trading of food commodities, the barter system was typically used for large orders. Cacao beans were used for everyday exchange in Postclassic times. For more expensive purchases gold, jade and copper were used as a means of exchange."

--Wikipedia

MNoBody

This is a modern biased look into a past culture, which still is alive today.
consider the system of potlatch
the gifting economy
it was exchange without attachment [consideration] in the modern sense
it took years of living on a reservation with the local indigenous for me to understand the difference.
I had to get out of my colonial paradigm mind and find the perspective that was here prior to colonization... which was a life altering cultural anthropology practicum to say the least
but it wasn't some panacea either as every system had its faults, which led to its demise.