• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am an ex-fundamentalist Catholic

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Hey everyone. I am an ex-fundamentalist Catholic. I used to be strongly for everything that the Catholic Church was for. That is no longer so. Unfortunately, I have some doubts about my conversion to liberal Christianity. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice. I am not sure what to do about those doubts. I am now more of an Atheist than anything. What do you all suggest?

I have some Quaker friends who are pretty laid back about these things, a few of them are even non-theist.

Prizebeatz1

Hello. I was once a fundamental Catholic too. Then I had a spiritual awakening and it turned everything upside down. The realization for me was that Jesus Christ is a clever personification of the soul told through a memorable story. The story is a metaphor for the infinite and eternal part of us. Born pure of a virgin, miraculous, rejected and buried yet still lives. God is infinite and eternal. The soul is infinite and eternal. He who has seen me has seen the Father. These are not coincidences. The soul is the container of our inner divinity and the source of unconditional self-worth. We are one with God because of this. That is the higher meaning of the New Testament but it has been misunderstood and displaced in favor of the literal interpretation because it's easier, more palatable to the masses and favorable for enterprise and profit. But what profits a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his own soul? This is an important message that I need to share with as many people as possible. I've been called to stand up and speak. The well-being of humanity depends on our awareness of and connection with the divinity of the soul.

soma

John Kuykendall
It is enlightening to experience the tension between the Christian experience and the Atheist experience. It seems to be on the surface when we compare them, but if we go over to the other side and experience the science of energy forms, we see that energy can't be created or destroyed. That seems to make it infinite with no limit. We see matter as energy so doesn't that make energy a kind of creator because matter is created with energy. If I go into atheist mind set, I see this as different, but then if I go back to the Christian side and in the Christ mind set, I no longer seek to subordinate one to the other. I begin to see one as being fulfilled by the other; energy creating matter as a form of the Divine, everywhere and in everything. It seems in duality we can have two experiences of the Absolute in tension and at peace or harmony at the same time in unity.
http://www.amazon.com/John-J-Kuykendall/e/B018AK0WKY/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0