• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am a new member

Brian2

Veteran Member
Hello. I am a new member. I am an ex-Christian. I used to be a strong atheist but I would now consider myself an agnostic, colloquially speaking. Looking forward to meaningful interaction.

Hi and welcome.
Is a strong atheist one who believes there are no Gods and is a colloquially speaking agnostic one who is not so sure about that any more?

Spectrox

Hi and welcome.
Is a strong atheist one who believes there are no Gods and is a colloquially speaking agnostic one who is not so sure about that any more?
A strong atheist is someone who strongly believes there are no gods.
An agnostic is someone who does not know whether a god exists. Colloquially speaking, an agnostic thinks it is equiprobable that a god exists or does not exist. Strong atheism and strong theism are both wide of the mark and raise more questions than they answer.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi and welcome.

The OP has already answered, but just to throw my two cents in.
A strong atheist is certain there are no Gods. An agnostic is unsure, or thinks it is unknowable.

Many atheists (like me!!) would call themselves agnostic atheists. I don't believe there are any Gods, but there's no way to be certain, really.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The OP has already answered, but just to throw my two cents in.
A strong atheist is certain there are no Gods. An agnostic is unsure, or thinks it is unknowable.

Many atheists (like me!!) would call themselves agnostic atheists. I don't believe there are any Gods, but there's no way to be certain, really.

I wonder why agnostic atheists say that. Reminds me of the speggetti monster. I believe there is no SM but there is no way to be certain.

So, is there a possibility there could be a SM even if one believes one doesn't exist?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder why agnostic atheists say that. Reminds me of the speggetti monster. I believe there is no SM but there is no way to be certain.

So, is there a possibility there could be a SM even if one believes one doesn't exist?

I'm not talking about a specific God concept though. I'm talking about any God. A deist God might not even interact with humans after an initial act of creation. So in the interests of accuracy, I claim only that I don't believe there is a God. Not certainty.