• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am 56 years old and I have 167 video and computer games!

When I say I have 167 games I mean it. They range from text based games like Zork to all Civilization games to Call of Duty and just games. I have been a gamer since personal computers came into being. Am I being i immature? I intend to give my vast library of games to my nephew. Is having 167 games too much?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
W Is having 167 games too much?

No, not unless they're interfering with other areas of life(there are so many you can't move about your house), but that doesn't seem likely. I am sure your nephew will appreciate it!

I'm 36 and I have over 100 Barbies. I didn't start collecting until I was in my 30s, either. Is it too many? Nah, I put them on the wall for display. I started collecting once they actually tried to make a diverse line(Fashionistas).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
When I say I have 167 games I mean it. They range from text based games like Zork to all Civilization games to Call of Duty and just games. I have been a gamer since personal computers came into being. Am I being i immature? I intend to give my vast library of games to my nephew. Is having 167 games too much?
Hell no! I'm right next door in age and I'm an avid gamer still going strong. We are the Atari generation. Right there when Pong started it all.

What a magical time that was!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No, not unless they're interfering with other areas of life(there are so many you can't move about your house), but that doesn't seem likely. I am sure your nephew will appreciate it!

I'm 36 and I have over 100 Barbies. I didn't start collecting until I was in my 30s, either. Is it too many? Nah, I put them on the wall for display. I started collecting once they actually tried to make a diverse line(Fashionistas).
Thats the thing and good for you!

Some let that little kid in them go away. Not me. That kid is still having fun like always once I drop the adult clothes from work and revert back in time.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Between my PS4 and my Steam account, I have a stack of games (although some gather dust...lol).
It's all about balance. If they aren't negatively impacting with your life, then game on.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Nothing wrong with that. But I am in my 30's and I have played games since I was a kid. I plan on continuing to do so for as long as my hand eye coordination allows me to do so. There is no such thing as too many games, just like there is no such thing as too many books.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

We're about the same age and I can remember seeing an original Pong machine when my parents and I visited an older sibling in college (1970s). I grew up in the age of arcades and that' pretty much were I spent the bulk of my time during my teens and early 20s. I don't have most of the consoles or games I acquired though I did recently go through some storage and found I still had my GameBoy and a few games (all in original packaging), it still works. Still have my Xbox 360 too, currently still on PS4.

If you're ever online, you'll find there are a lot of people of our generation still gaming, most of the people I play with online are in their 40s and 50s, occasionally in their 60s.

I'm also female and chuckle when people think girls don't play (or when they get their arse handed to them in a game. One guy was talking trash and the other declared after the first one was killed, "you just schooled by 'grandma', son!"

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

Some let that little kid in them go away. Not me. That kid is still having fun like always once I drop the adult clothes from work and revert back in time.

I am not convinced grown ups really exist. I think we're all just kids, with similar needs, deep down.

I'm also female and chuckle when people think girls don't play (or when they get their arse handed to them in a game. One guy was talking trash and the other declared after the first one was killed, "you just schooled by 'grandma', son!"

In my World of Warcraft days, there was a woman I knew on there that had joined up to spend time with her grandsons, who lived on the other side of the country. Games can be a bonding experience when everyone gets to play!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Hell yeah!! I wear my geek merch underneath my work shirt, ala Superman hiding his blue shirt under his :D

Although now that I think about it, that poor guy must hate summer, forever wearing that leotard underneath his business attire. Hope it’s got insulation lol

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Never too old for gaming! My uncle is in his 70s and is enjoying Animal Crossing. His collection may not be as big as yours or even mine, but to cut him some slack he was a latecomer.:);)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I was told gaming is for kids, especially in my late teens and early 20s, but with some games like Tetris I'm not sure. Same with strategy games. If spend all your time gaming amd neglect things its a problem, but gaming in itself doesnt make one immature, in my opinion.

Laika

Premium Member

Definitely doesn't make you immature. Gaming is simply a new medium for telling stories and expressing ideas, much like books once were. Young people may have adopted it first, but gaming has progressively become more mainstream over time and adopted by adults.

I'm pretty sure your nephew will be thrilled at the range of titles and have hours of fun. ;)

Erebus

I have been a gamer since personal computers came into being. Am I being i immature?

Nope. I don't view playing a videogame as being any less mature than watching a film. Both forms of media cater to a variety of ages and interests.

Is having 167 games too much?

I'm a Humble Bundle subscriber and have been for a while. That means I got to keep the old subscription system where you get 10 games a month. I'm also the kind of person who'll buy just about any game if it's on sale for less than £5...

I have a lot of games.

I've even played some of them.

MNoBody

no, that is a modest collection. given the options these daze:)

Hellbound Serpiente

Considering gaming takes your mind from the stresses and strains of life, and provides you with a good escape, no, there's nothing wrong with it. Like others have said already, it's all about balance.

Don't overdo and underdo anything. One of the problems I have is I always overdo or underdo certain things and it always comes around and bites me. Try to avoid this very fatal flaw of mine.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

I have none at all, and I am 85. is that too little.
I once tried solitaire on my first computer, but though it just a waste of time. I do not understand the attraction of computer games at all.

It is not often that I watch films either. certainly less than one a week and then rarely through to the end.