• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hypothetically, Trump Wins...

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

Pogo

Don't worry about it. Sure, if Trump does get elected these cases go away. But I can guarantee that he will be busy committing a bunch of brand new crimes for a whole bunch of brand new criminal cases against him.

Or on second thought, do worry about it, worry about it a lot.
And the state cases don't, and yes he thinks he can get away with it, and then we will see if the US survives as a democracy, It will be chaos, but as with the Civil war, the economics are against him.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
And the state cases don't, and yes he thinks he can get away with it, and then we will see if the US survives as a democracy, It will be chaos, but as with the Civil war, the economics are against him.
If he doesn't win, will there be a coup? Will the MAGA folks go ballistic and break out their guns?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Don't worry about it. Sure, if Trump does get elected these cases go away. But I can guarantee that he will be busy committing a bunch of brand new crimes for a whole bunch of brand new criminal cases against him.

Or on second thought, do worry about it, worry about it a lot.
He won't be able to run for a third term to get any new indictments against him to go away.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What happens the trial case against him?
Case, singular? :D

My take on it:

The state-level proceedings can continue without issue.

I disagree with the argument that prosecuting a sitting president for federal crimes is legally impossible, but:

- having Trump as president again probably also means having an Attorney General who's friendly to Trump and could halt prosecutions against him.

- Trump would have the power to pardon himself for federal crimes.

A self-pardon would come with some complications, though:

- accepting a pardon is generally an admission of guilt, which would open Trump up to all sorts of civil suits from the people he wronged.

- if Congress determines that Trump violated the 14th Amendment (which I think is unlikely - Trump as president probably means a strong Republican result generally), Trump wouldn't be able to restore his eligibility for office with a self-pardon.