• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hypothetical scenario for a world without religion

charlie sc

Imagine for a moment, a hypothetical scenario where everyone's memory of every religion disappeared and all the literature vanished.

How would one find or demonstrate a certain deity exists?

The reason I ask this is because science does not need previous literature to observe a phenomenon, hypothesise, verify, experiment and then create theories. It seems like scientific theories do not need previous literature the same way religion does and there's no way to replicate scripture.

:)

Earthling

David Henson
Imagine for a moment, a hypothetical scenario where everyone's memory of every religion disappeared and all the literature vanished.

The reason I ask this is because science does not need previous literature to observe a phenomenon, hypothesise, verify, experiment and then create theories. It seems like scientific theories do not need previous literature the same way religion does and there's no way to replicate scripture.

If science is really that important a part of modern day thinking then they would invent their own. Of course, a deity isn't saying much. A god can be anything. I don't think that science is important in that respect, though.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If science is really that important a part of modern day thinking then they would invent their own. Of course, a deity isn't saying much. A god can be anything. I don't think that science is important in that respect, though.

Meet computer, the science god that allowed you to post that message

ChristineM

Premium Member

To me it would make no difference, there would be just as much proof of god either with or without religion

ChristineM

Premium Member
Sure, though would it resemble the Christian god or any god? If it does, where can one look for it in this hypothetical?

Considering literally billions of people over 2000 years (christian god) or longer have searched and failed to find and supernatural entity then i wouldnt hold out much hope in the real world.

However you could always search peoples imagination.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Let's narrow down this hypothetical scenario to a smaller scale that everyone, not just theists, can relate to...

Imagine for a moment, a hypothetical scenario where all RFers' memory of religious forums disappeared and all of Salix's posts vanished.

How would one find or demonstrate the Salix exists?

I would think the answer would be observation.

Bird123

Getting rid of all the religions will do no good.

Deep down, we all know God whether we realize it or not. Some realize this more than others.

Religion is mankind's attempt to understand God. With all the religions gone, it will just start up again with newly written scriptures.

Just like the current scriptures, these newly created scriptures will reflect it's creators. There will be goodness as well as bad things within it.

Religion is a catalyst which brings so many of mankind's problems to the surface so they can be dealt with. After all, when one thinks they have God's backing, they will hold nothing back. Since this catalyst leads to learning and growing, religion will be incorporated until enough lessons are learned that religion will become obsolete.

whirlingmerc

Isn't there a Beatle's song like this
"Imagine there's no religion'

Jesus rising from the dead would show God exists... and more...

dianaiad

Oh, goodie. John Lennon strikes again.

Here's the answer to the above hypothetical scenario: the human race, being the human race, would discover (or invent) a deity from scratch....or do both.

Or, if you believe as I do, God would tell someone about Himself and off we'd go again.

If you are a theist, you believe that God communicates with, created and found us.
If you are an atheist, you believe that all notions of deity are made up by people.

Either way, your scenario would last.....about five minutes before God appeared in the human mix.

Audie

Veteran Member
Getting rid of all the religions will do no good.

Deep down, we all know God whether we realize it or not. Some realize this more than others.

Religion is mankind's attempt to understand God. With all the religions gone, it will just start up again with newly written scriptures.

Just like the current scriptures, these newly created scriptures will reflect it's creators. There will be goodness as well as bad things within it.

Religion is a catalyst which brings so many of mankind's problems to the surface so they can be dealt with. After all, when one thinks they have God's backing, they will hold nothing back. Since this catalyst leads to learning and growing, religion will be incorporated until enough lessons are learned that religion will become obsolete.

I was so surprised when I first heard someone
say "Nobody is really atheist, in their
hearts they know god is real."

Till then, I thought nobody really believes that
nonsense, in their hearts they know "god" is
make believe.

The difference between your view and mine here,
is that I grew up. I accepted that people
can sincerely believe any numbrr of things
that may simply be wrong, opposite to what
I believe, etc.

AND, I do not make up "facts", nor anything
about the mental capacity of those who believe
differently than I.

That last seems somehow especially
important.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

Interestingly, in Raelism they tell you that once you know the truth, Satan will make you immediately forget everything temporarily to test you.

Audie

Veteran Member
Isn't there a Beatle's song like this
"Imagine there's no religion'

Jesus rising from the dead would show God exists... and more...

Yep. Of course nobody saw such a thing, still
less did he go ask Pilate if he'd care to tty again,
then go back to preachin'. Like you would ifn
you wanted to get believers and save them.

Nope. Instead, he figured it would be best to
stage it like there was no way to see that it
was anything but a con job.

Makes as much sense as god killing himself to
pay himself for his creation breaking his rules
in a fairy tale.

What master of the universe could fail to see
what a terrif plan that is!

charlie sc

Interesting. So you believe we're all theists. I assume you believe we're all born theists too?

Is there anything we can examine today that could direct us to god or a particular deity? It seems like you're hoping that people will reflect what god wants in this event.

charlie sc

Oh, goodie. John Lennon strikes again.

Here's the answer to the above hypothetical scenario: the human race, being the human race, would discover (or invent) a deity from scratch....or do both.

Or, if you believe as I do, God would tell someone about Himself and off we'd go again.

If you are a theist, you believe that God communicates with, created and found us.
If you are an atheist, you believe that all notions of deity are made up by people.

Either way, your scenario would last.....about five minutes before God appeared in the human mix.

Ah, my friend. Let's have at it again.

Your reply looks very grim indeed. You're saying a bunch of religions will be invented, jeez, and you're hoping god will talk about himself again.

Would it be possible to examine, say, your deity other than hoping for someone to express it :p ?