• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hypothetical Reconstruction of Aesir, Alfar, etc. with Anglic Terms and Conceptions

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
So, I follow a more Anglic form of Asatru, as those who've seen that I tend to use the Old English names for Gods more often might have noticed. (Woden, Thunor, etc.) Something I've always been interested in is how the Anglo-Saxon Pagans viewed the world and the Gods. Unfortunately, there's very little left that records the specifics of what they believed, since they weren't really writing things down until they'd already become Christianized.

As a result, when it comes to "filling in the gaps", as it were, I tend to use hypotheticals. That is to say, instead of worrying about practicing exactly what the Anglo-Saxons did (impossible, in any case), I like to take what little we know about their Pagan world, add elements of Beowulf, Anglicize Norse concepts (a valid thing to do, since the Anglo-Saxons are native to modern-day Denmark: We Gardena in gærdagum...), integrate some native Britannian Celtic conceptions like the Anglo-Saxons might have done over time, and then top it off with a dash of Tolkien/D&D High Fantasy elements to help "modernize" it. I do believe this is valid, since the Old Way was dynamic in any case: constantly fluctuating based on the times and containing as many variations as there were Tribes.

To that end, I've started with a brief terminology list of the primary "supernatural entities" (or rather, Wights), as well as their hypothetical geographic associations, based on the modern descendents of the Old English terms.

The Wights are:
Os (pl *Osey) Sky (ON Æsir) (note, * here means a hypothetical. I don't really like the OE plural of Os, which was Ese. I think "Osey" sounds more powerful. So, yeah, I'm cheating here).
Wane (pl Wanes) Earth/Ground (ON Vanir)
Elf (pl Elves) Woodland (ON Alfar)
Ettin (pl Ettins) Mountain (ON Jötnar)
Dwarf (pl Dwarves) Foothill (ON Dvergr)
Neck (pl Necks) Water (no ON cognate to my knowledge: German Nixe/Nixie)
Orc (pl Orcs) Bog (far as I can tell, a purely Anglo-Saxon type of monster; Grendel might be considered an Orc)
Wyrm (pl Wyrms) Caves (aka Dragons)

There also could be other terms for each of these beings. Of course, there's dozens of other monsters from English folklore, though most of them are regional and documenting all of them in this way is beyond my current ability.

I do want to make a note about the geographic associations. They serve a kind of twofold purpose here: on a basic level, they are indications of "where" the associated Wight lives (the Elves live in the Woodland, Wyrms live in Caves, etc.); on a deeper level, they could be descriptions of the particular Wight's nature. For example, the Osey are associated with the Sky. They are 'above' all the others, and constantly 'travel' as the days, months, seasons, and years pass. On the other hand, Ettins are associated with Mountains; big, ever-present, and immovable. Ettins are the Primal Beings; the First Ones. The Sun, Earth, Moon, all the Stars, the Weather itself, are all in themselves Ettins.

Another note I want to make is in regards to the Orc, which here is not really the same as Tolkien's Orcs (who were corrupted Elves), or D&D Orcs (which are just big green brutes). Here, Orcs are specifically bog monsters. The word "Orc" was applied to a Latin term "Orcus", which was described as being the "God of the Underworld". I don't know how Orcus might be Anglically rendered, unfortunately, but for this purpose, it could be that in this conception, due to the widespread practice of depositing sacrificed bodies in bogs on the continent, the equivalent to the Norse "Helheim" might be a more boggy place rather than a place of ice, with "Orcus" serving the equivalent to Goddess Hel.

I do want to stress again that this is not meant to be a reconstruction of how the Anglo-Saxons viewed their world, but rather a hypothetical construction for my own purposes, which I might express in some form of art in the future.

This is also still very much a work-in-progress, and I definitely appreciate any input/criticism. I'm no scholar, so I'm bound to make mistakes here and there in terms of being "true to the source".

Last edited:

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Riverwolf:

Your punctuation is a sack of ****; but, you're views are delightful.

I seen Odin as death, than Loki as a far more ancient deity; Death.

It's a matter of your perception of believing; you're loony to commit.

Giants are Giants to me; the taller humans. This was supposed to
be the first race, after the Dwarf.

It is in an argument of previous poetic metaphors and something I,
personally, would want to put into reality. The jötnar being giant
human beings. I could give reference to nothing regarding it in
substance other than poetic metaphors.

I think the Neanderthal may be the Dwarf; yet, it is not very popular at all, but, it is out there.

The Elves are the ultimate mystery in myth - Celtica, Scandinavian, in general.

I often joke these, "Greys", are Elves:
ue1aVom.png

It's just something I try to do to put it together; it's not accepted.

The Elves are often said to have had gold hair; numerous throughout myth, and popular
with Angels - As well as a sign of the Kingdom of Heaven, "Gold hair".

PMqwiug.jpg

It's just a ***** on humanity un-answered religion. Loki, in my mind, played out to be some incomprehensibly
ancient deity, Perhaps, older than the High One; but the argument there in itself is trivial.

Thanatos

If you want to know the truth; Loki presented himself to me as quite an Angel; in modern
concept of one. It was unquestionable ancients I felt from his being; not saying he is
oldest. He was painted blue and covered in rune tattoo's...

And first appeared with 6 wings...

He was wielding a katana in my "wision".

Other than that; all the interaction that took place was like, "Is this sane?".

It's hysterical.

He seems to be a ****no God!

A ****no God.

A ****no God.

A ****no God.

Presumptuouslyput, I would say it was the most ancient being I had ever met. (laugh)

I could feel ancients.

Among other beings.

May not be a ****no God.

bCW2v5B.png

It is inconceivably traumatizing. :) :) :)

Thankfully, it took place in the realm of my mind, let's hope.

In Jewdom these "Gods" of ours are the Nephilim; born of beings
born of celestial divintiy. That would make mythological Gods
and everything that has transpired since heartbreaking.

:facepalm:

Mashoogna.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Riverwolf:

Your punctuation is a sack of ****;

Care to explain? I'm actually a pretty big stickler for punctuation, so I'd like to know what I got wrong.

but, you're views are delightful.

I seen Odin as death, than Loki as a far more ancient deity; Death.

It's a matter of your perception of believing; you're loony to commit.

Giants are Giants to me; the taller humans. This was supposed to
be the first race, after the Dwarf.

It is in an argument of previous poetic metaphors and something I,
personally, would want to put into reality. The jötnar being giant
human beings. I could give reference to nothing regarding it in
substance other than poetic metaphors.

I think the Neanderthal may be the Dwarf; yet, it is not very popular at all, but, it is out there.

The Elves are the ultimate mystery in myth - Celtica, Scandinavian, in general.

I often joke these, "Greys", are Elves:
ue1aVom.png

It's just something I try to do to put it together; it's not accepted.

The Elves are often said to have had gold hair; numerous throughout myth, and popular
with Angels - As well as a sign of the Kingdom of Heaven, "Gold hair".

PMqwiug.jpg

It's just a ***** on humanity un-answered religion. Loki, in my mind, played out to be some incomprehensibly
ancient deity, Perhaps, older than the High One; but the argument there in itself is trivial.

Thanatos

If you want to know the truth; Loki presented himself to me as quite an Angel; in modern
concept of one. It was unquestionable ancients I felt from his being; not saying he is
oldest. He was painted blue and covered in rune tattoo's...

And first appeared with 6 wings...

He was wielding a katana in my "wision".

Other than that; all the interaction that took place was like, "Is this sane?".

It's hysterical.

He seems to be a ****no God!

A ****no God.

A ****no God.

A ****no God.

Presumptuouslyput, I would say it was the most ancient being I had ever met. (laugh)

I could feel ancients.

Among other beings.

May not be a ****no God.

bCW2v5B.png

It is inconceivably traumatizing. :) :) :)

Thankfully, it took place in the realm of my mind, let's hope.

In Jewdom these "Gods" of ours are the Nephilim; born of beings
born of celestial divintiy. That would make mythological Gods
and everything that has transpired since heartbreaking.

:facepalm:

Mashoogna.
When dealing with other peoples' conceptions of the Gods, which are always contradicting everyone else's, including my own, I'm always reminded, every single time, of a story of Krishna. (Remember I practiced Hinduism for two years). When he was King of Dwarka, he had one-thousand wives. So, he split himself into one-thousand Krishnas, one for each of those wives.

Every human being is different. I can imagine, therefore, that each one of those Krishnas was a different individual unto itself, not just a perfect clone. Some were more dominant, some were more submissive; some loved art above all, others may have been more inclined to economics.

I very much believe it is thus for all the Gods. For me, Woden is basically a God of Extremes. His name is Master of Wood, Wood in this case not being the wood that we use for building, but as a word that sadly no longer exists in Modern English, meaning "rage, inspiration, madness, fury, etc." Woden, therefore, is that passion-fire that drives people to extreme devotion and action. I don't focus much on the Death aspect, therefore. It's still there, but not as emphasized. Loki, being his Blood Brother, is someone I regard as similar, but with less dark sneers and more jovial tricks (For a modern mythos analogy, think Batman and Joker, if Batman were a villain.)

Even though my views of these Gods are different from yours, I don't believe either of us are wrong. The Gods manifested to you in a certain way, and they've manifested to me in a certain way. (Though I don't have visions.) Just as they would have manifested themselves to different tribes in different ways. Woden is the Allfather King, now, but according to the current consensus, before the Migration Age, Tiw had that title.

BTW, those pictures are AWESOME!

Whiterain

I wasn't really having a "wision" it was in my imagination; I was just ham it up for lols. I try not to use blasphemy to often but it's funny...

I don't know what to make of the myth and the Jewish legend with the Nephilim; I know some
people consider the old gods the Nephilim. It's really mixed up and there seem to be various
legends regarding the subject.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I wasn't really having a "wision" it was in my imagination; I was just ham it up for lols. I try not to use blasphemy to often but it's funny...

I don't know what to make of the myth and the Jewish legend with the Nephilim; I know some
people consider the old gods the Nephilim. It's really mixed up and there seem to be various
legends regarding the subject.

I don't generally worry about it, for the purposes of my beliefs. The Judeo-Christian mythos is one that I generally regard as foreign, and so while the stories can be good, worthy of being referenced, I don't bother equating any of the characters and imagery with that of my native mythos. Indo-European culture and Semetic culture are separate entities.

Whiterain

I don't generally worry about it, for the purposes of my beliefs. The Judeo-Christian mythos is one that I generally regard as foreign, and so while the stories can be good, worthy of being referenced, I don't bother equating any of the characters and imagery with that of my native mythos. Indo-European culture and Semetic culture are separate entities.

I see the Judeo myth's as slightly irrelevant, just learned of those followers see the old gods as the Nephilim.

EyeofOdin is also working on a reconstruction, hit him up; he is doing a fantastic job.