• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hypothesis on gun violence, politics, and science.

uberrobonomicon4000

This is a big topic in politics and in the world we live in today.

So I have created the hypothesis for the reason of high gun violence among parents with children living with them: which isn’t because of video games, Hollywood, or the media.

It is because parents don’t take the responsibility to correct their children when they should. So their children don't know the difference between right and wrong. Right and wrong in this case is what is accepted by the standards of society.

What are your thoughts?

KidatHeart

So I have created the hypothesis for the reason of high gun violence among parents with children living with them: which isn’t because of video games, Hollywood, or the media.

It is because parents don’t take the responsibility to correct their children when they should. So their children don't know the difference between right and wrong. Right and wrong in this case is what is accepted by the standards of society.

What are your thoughts?

But, that doesn't mean parents aren't responsible...

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

What are your thoughts?

I'm opposed to that.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
My thought is that humanity needs to stop denying that conflict, strife, and war are part of its nature.

My thought is that I am also not a fan of oversimplified analysis of causal variables.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
So, we can be assured that parents are well-informed of societal standards themselves?

As well as how to communicate these standards to their children?

How to recognize when they aren't being followed by their children?

What to do to ensure they follow them in the future?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
So, we can be assured that parents are well-informed of societal standards themselves?
Nope, sorry, some are, many are not.
As well as how to communicate these standards to their children?
This is the key issue, parents and kids have to talk and actually listen to each other. Easy to say, hard to do.
How to recognize when they aren't being followed by their children?
You actually have to be involved in each others life and actually give a damn, young and old.
What to do to ensure they follow them in the future?
Not going to happen. You can't ensure anything. Each of us are going to do what we personally decide to do. It is helpful however to be involved in each others life and listen to one another. The older generation can learn and grow as much as the younger generation can.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

What are your thoughts?

That is doomed to an ugly failure, since it fails to provide a mechanism for correcting mistakes of direction.

To a significant extent, parents failing to realize their own shortcomings are rather the cause of those problems. But the main cause is a more basic lack of trust in others and of desire to build it. We have become far too individualistic and inconsequential.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Nope, sorry, some are, many are not. This is the key issue, parents and kids have to talk and actually listen to each other. Easy to say, hard to do. You actually have to be involved in each others life and actually give a damn, young and old.Not going to happen. You can't ensure anything. Each of us are going to do what we personally decide to do. It is helpful however to be involved in each others life and listen to one another. The older generation can learn and grow as much as the younger generation can.

Exactly. My questions were meant to be rhetorical.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
My thought is that humanity needs to stop denying that conflict, strife, and war are part of its nature.

My thought is that I am also not a fan of oversimplified analysis of causal variables.
My thinking is that superficial analysis, such as that demonstrated by the OP, are actually part of the problem.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
My thinking is that superficial analysis, such as that demonstrated by the OP, are actually part of the problem.

I'm not sure I'd say it's part of the problem. I'd say that it lends itself to ineffectual solutions to the supposed problem, though. Whenever you're dealing with an issue that has many contributing variables, there is no silver bullet (pardon the irony of the phrase given the topic). There's no reducing a complex issue to a simple one with a simple solution. The "parent solution" proposed by the OP is particularly problematic because the government has no authority (criminal abuse notwithstanding) over how parents raise their children. It's not a viable solution even if it is a primary causal variable.

uberrobonomicon4000

I don't think parents ought to beat their children into intelligence.

I'm opposed to that.
I don't think parents should either (beat their kids). I don't think parents should yell at them either. I think parents should be adults and act like adults.

Maybe correct is the wrong word and carriers to many connotations.

What I mean when I say correct is to teach, or to enlighten someones mind.

A) Parents would have to take an active role in their child's life to do that.
B) If two people have a child they should be willing to do that anyways.

It seems that a lot of people who commit gun crimes are generally irresponsible people and lack most of not all intellectual ability.

Super Universe

Defender of God

What are your thoughts?

Gun violence is about power, it's control. Anyone who does not have as much power, control, or even respect in society that they feel they deserve can get a gun and suddenly become powerful enough to take others lives.

The kid in Connecticut had no power whatsoever. He had no developed social skills. He didn't have a job and lived with mommy. His mother was getting on his case, telling him to go out and find a job. She just wanted him to do something other than sit and play video games all day long but he was afraid of society. He knew others viewed him as strange so he hid from them as much as he could but he also knew that his time was running out. He would either have to enter society or leave it.

dust1n

Zindīq

I'm of the opinion that humanity doesn't have a nature. :shrug:

Super Universe

Defender of God
The kid KNEW it was wrong, that's why he killed himself. He killed himself to avoid the penalty that was coming from society, a society that he hated. In the hour or two that the whole thing took he was powerful, he was above your society and it's rules.

He got his way for once.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm of the opinion that humanity doesn't have a nature. :shrug:

You might want to bear in mind that by "nature" I mean objective descriptions of what humans do and are, not value-laden "ought" statements or philosophical musings; thus in the context I mean, saying humanity doesn't have a nature is tantamount to saying humanity doesn't exist. It's a fact that animals (including humans) are frequently are involved in conflict, strife, and acts of aggression. I'm not saying this is the be-all and end-all of human nature, as clearly it isn't, but it's nonsense to deny it as an existing aspect. This "problem" of animals displaying aggressive behavior will never be solved. At most, it can be minimized and mitigated, but never eliminated. Competition and conflict, as well as aggressive death-dealing solutions to those challenges, are pretty much inherent to the operations of all living organisms, but especially animals.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

What are your thoughts?
My first thought is:
Do you honestly believe that those who go on shooting sprees do not know that said shooting spree is wrong?