• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hypocrites (non-Muslims defending Islam)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piculet

I don't defend other people's religions. Though I perhaps try to understand their point of view sometimes. I wouldn't like someone, not of my religion trying to defend it, well if I had one. I think it would feel very patronizing.
Not to me. If a non-Muslim manages to say something true and useful, I am very glad. No problem whatsoever. But the chances of that happening are devastatingly small and the opposite happens constantly.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No. The religions that change are the ones that become irrelevant.

That doesn't seem to be the case given history. Those that don't change tend to become ossified and irrelevant to people, so they leave the religion and it becomes irrelevant to everyone.

Those people you are complaining about with tight jeans and music have, essentially, decided that your interpretation of Islam is irrelevant to them.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
It is from God and it cannot be changed per se. I never said "at all".

Your opinion is that it is from God. The belief of your religion is that it is from God.

That is not the same as actually being from God (or that there even is a God).

Gargovic Malkav

It is from God and it cannot be changed per se. I never said "at all".

The path you follow is indeed from God. But God revealed also paths to those who have been led astray in your eyes. Everyone gets what he or she deserves. Whether it be good or bad.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
You're right in that my belief is not automatically the same as reality. But the reality is that it is from God.

Again, your belief. Others say their scriptures are from God. I believe none are (since I don't believe any deities exist at all).

But they are all opinions.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Not to me. If a non-Muslim manages to say something true and useful, I am very glad. No problem whatsoever. But the chances of that happening are devastatingly small and the opposite happens constantly.

Funny. I see the same thing with theists.

Piculet

Can you provide examples of this? (You could anonymize them if you want to.)
I'm not arguing based on this forum.

If x quotes an authentic hadith saying something which, to a non-Muslim, might strike as absurd and first thing y does, is deny this is a real hadith or that Muslims follow such a teaching.

If x mocks the way Muslim women are to dress and y rushes to explain that the dress is indeed outdated, but is no longer necessary because the rules regarding dress were only relevant at the time of the revelation.

If x mocks the permission for men to have four wives, y says, it is only for when some woman needs a husband and there is no one available anymore, but fails to provide any evidence for it.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
The problem comes precisely when the defender thinks or pretends they are defending Islam as a religion

when at the same time they are attempting (possibly unawares and by accident) to corrupt Muslims by leading some of them away from Islam.

Koran says in verse 4:88 the following:
Muhammad Sarwar: Why are you divided into two different parties concerning the hypocrites, when God Himself has turned them to disbelief because of their misdeeds. Do you want to guide those whom God has caused to go astray? You cannot find guidance for those whom God has made to err.

Seems to me, that according to Koran nobody can corrupt Muslims by leading some of them away from Islam:
"Do you want to guide those whom God has caused to go astray? You cannot find guidance for those whom God has made to err."

God is the one who caused them to go astray. It's an illusion to believe humans can undo what God has done.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

If x quotes an authentic hadith saying something which, to a non-Muslim, might strike as absurd and first thing y does, is deny this is a real hadith or that Muslims follow such a teaching.

If x mocks the way Muslim women are to dress and y rushes to explain that the dress is indeed outdated, but is no longer necessary because the rules regarding dress were only relevant at the time of the revelation.

If x mocks the permission for men to have four wives, y says, it is only for when some woman needs a husband and there is no one available anymore, but fails to provide any evidence for it.

And do some Moslems believe these alternatives? Maybe they disagree whether a particular hadith is authentic? Or still in force?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Thanks for these examples, they help me understand your OP.

I have to agree with all of the other posters who have pointed out that Muslims are notorious for not agreeing with each other.

Piculet

Koran says in verse 4:88 the following:

Seems to me, that according to Koran nobody can corrupt Muslims by leading some of them away from Islam:
"Do you want to guide those whom God has caused to go astray? You cannot find guidance for those whom God has made to err."

God is the one who caused them to go astray. It's an illusion to believe humans can undo what God has done.
Beside the fact that you apparently think you're too wise to use the tafser to understand the Quran, you missed something within what you quoted, namely: when God Himself has turned them to disbelief because of their misdeeds.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Beside the fact that you apparently think you're too wise to use the tafser to understand the Quran, you missed something within what you quoted, namely: when God Himself has turned them to disbelief because of their misdeeds.
I don't think "I am too wise"

I think any Human, including Muslim has done "misdeeds"
So, indeed I applied it correctly (probably Allah did this too)

Piculet

Thanks for these examples, they help me understand your OP.

I have to agree with all of the other posters who have pointed out that Muslims are notorious for not agreeing with each other.
That would be very much beside the topic.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
That would be very much beside the topic.

If a non-Moslem uses the teachings of a Moslem you disagree with, it is quite relevant. They are defending Islam, as they have been taught, and have reason to believe they were taught correctly given that their teacher is Moslem.

More to the point, if a Moslem disagrees with your assessment of some aspect of Islam, how can a non-Moslem know who is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.