• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hypocrisy

huajiro

Is there anything inconsistent in your life?

Do you do say one thing and do another?

I scream for animal rights, against abortion, for the environment...but I haven't quit my job to run off and save the world (even though I have an incredible urge to do it). I am totally against materialism, yet I don't donate all of my money to charity and eat beans for the whole month. I fight internal battles every day and was just curious as to who else deals with this.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think hypocricy is impossible to avoid. I also believe hypocricy is over-rated as a vice. Hypocricies that don't hurt anyone -- and most hypocricies don't -- are not vices at all.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Yes, I have plenty of room to be called a hypocrite.

I'll write about the importance of prayer, but I've been known to skip my prayer.

I hold fast that racism is wrong and must be opposed, but I don't always argue against family members who make racist comments.

I am stridently opposed to abortion, but I've voted for candidates who supported it.

I could go on, but yeah, I have lots of hypocrasy yet that I have to keep working on...

robtex

Veteran Member
No*s said:
Yes, I have plenty of room to be called a hypocrite.

I'll write about the importance of prayer, but I've been known to skip my prayer.

I hold fast that racism is wrong and must be opposed, but I don't always argue against family members who make racist comments.

I am stridently opposed to abortion, but I've voted for candidates who supported it.

I could go on, but yeah, I have lots of hypocrasy yet that I have to keep working on...
Real fast. Prayer and strip poker are two different things. As long as you weren't praying betweens hands of strip poker....(seriously, I missing the connection though)

When you don't argue with family members you are choosing your battles wisely. I don't know you situation but really is it better to oppose racism through example and through politics than through conflict with family? I had a grandfather who disliked blacks..and I never aruged with him either. It would have been pointless. He had his mind made up about blacks and my bantering wasn't gonna sway him. (actually he was a bitter man and I think in way alot of bigots are which is a topic inandofitself). Instead I support non bigot politicians and fly my own flag of non bigotry by the multinational friends I choose and how I live my life. In fighting any inhumanity its important to know how to pick your battles.

I am pro-abortion but if you are against it and you vote for a pro canidate ( I am assuming you mean Kerry?) realize that there is a lot more on a policticans plate than abortion and if you voted for the pro canidate I am assumming you did so for good reason. The whole Catholic "vote for pro is a sin" is propoganda used by the chuch an it would be a bigger disservice to your country for you to let the church vote for you.

No*s

Captain Obvious
robtex said:
Real fast. Prayer and strip poker are two different things. As long as you weren't praying betweens hands of strip poker....(seriously, I missing the connection though)

I tend to say we should, and I've manifested a bad habit of skipping it quite often. IOW, I say and do not always do.

robotex said:
When you don't argue with family members you are choosing your battles wisely. I don't know you situation but really is it better to oppose racism through example and through politics than through conflict with family? I had a grandfather who disliked blacks..and I never aruged with him either. It would have been pointless. He had his mind made up about blacks and my bantering wasn't gonna sway him. (actually he was a bitter man and I think in way alot of bigots are which is a topic inandofitself). Instead I support non bigot politicians and fly my own flag of non bigotry by the multinational friends I choose and how I live my life. In fighting any inhumanity its important to know how to pick your battles.

Good point.

robotex said:
I am pro-abortion but if you are against it and you vote for a pro canidate ( I am assuming you mean Kerry?) realize that there is a lot more on a policticans plate than abortion and if you voted for the pro canidate I am assumming you did so for good reason. The whole Catholic "vote for pro is a sin" is propoganda used by the chuch an it would be a bigger disservice to your country for you to let the church vote for you.

No, I supported a third party candidate :). However, when I vote for a pro-abortion candidate, I do so for the sake of lesser of several evils. It doesn't, however, mitigate the duality between belief and action.

Of course, there are other examples of hypocrisy that I may supply. These were just the first ones to come to mind. I am quite guilty...

Lintu

I know this is off-topic but I've never heard of a "pro-abortion" candidate. I know I'm splitting hairs, but I believe it's a big difference.

I try not to be hypocritical, but of course I am. I want to believe that greed is bad, yet I always want to make more and be more successful. I support my causes through action, but I should be giving money. I think stereotyping is bad but I generalize. Who doesn't do this, though?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
There is only ONE thing that I am consistent and stable in and that is my hypocrisy. It has long been my contention that only hypocrites go to church. If we weren't hypocrites, we wouldn't need to be there!!! :D

Melody

huajiro said:
Is there anything inconsistent in your life?

Do you do say one thing and do another?

I scream for animal rights, against abortion, for the environment...but I haven't quit my job to run off and save the world (even though I have an incredible urge to do it). I am totally against materialism, yet I don't donate all of my money to charity and eat beans for the whole month. I fight internal battles every day and was just curious as to who else deals with this.
I had to think about this a bit because some of the follow up posts didn't quite say "hypocrite" to me. Webster's defines hypocrite as someone who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion. That to me means it is a deliberate action designed to impress and not just failing to live up to our ideals.

Huajiro, your examples (animal rights, against abortion, for environment)...I see these as more of not living up to your own expectations rather than trying to give a false impression. If you were a hypocrite, you'd be say you were against abortion and then recommend your pregnant wife/girlfriend get an abortion.

I've been raising children for 15 years and have long since learned that children do as you do and not as you say, so I try to live what I teach. I can honestly say that I do not put on a false appearance of virtue or religion. It's too much work!

Melody

Doc

Space Chief
I struggle with most of those things you have listed. I am a vegetarian. I oppose abortion. I detest racism and prejudice. I refuse to accept materialism. I have threatened to live off in the mountains to get away from the smokey cities.
Most of this started after reading the Lord of the Rings The Two Towers. Some of you may know about the walking talking trees or the ENTS. Enraged by the destruction of their beautiful forests, Treebeard and many other Ents topple the industry plaguing their lifestyles. I was inspired by this and began changing my views of life.
I never liked meat so that was not a problem. I refused to associate myself with any type of wood for about a month or two but saw it was impossible. I began writing books and poems condeming Prejudice and Racism. I truly became a hippy. I still am with the wacky clothing but my worldly companions are still too attached to materials. I fight these internal battles almost daily. I am trying to understand what to do with my life. I believe I want to be a public intrest lawyer (poverty lawyer or ''street lawyers") who legally represents poor people.
I have had the urge to question people's racial slurs. I know one unlucky soul will receive my full wrath and rage because of their arrogance and self pride some day.
I never swear either. I love studying philosophers and use them to strive for animal rights in my household to no avail. I badger my sister on a daily basis about eating meat. For all you vegans or lacto vegans like myself, you would enjoy studying Peter Singer the philosopher who published Animal Liberation.

huajiro

Doc said:
I struggle with most of those things you have listed. I am a vegetarian. I oppose abortion. I detest racism and prejudice. I refuse to accept materialism. I have threatened to live off in the mountains to get away from the smokey cities.
Most of this started after reading the Lord of the Rings The Two Towers. Some of you may know about the walking talking trees or the ENTS. Enraged by the destruction of their beautiful forests, Treebeard and many other Ents topple the industry plaguing their lifestyles. I was inspired by this and began changing my views of life.
I never liked meat so that was not a problem. I refused to associate myself with any type of wood for about a month or two but saw it was impossible. I began writing books and poems condeming Prejudice and Racism. I truly became a hippy. I still am with the wacky clothing but my worldly companions are still too attached to materials. I fight these internal battles almost daily. I am trying to understand what to do with my life. I believe I want to be a public intrest lawyer (poverty lawyer or ''street lawyers") who legally represents poor people.
I have had the urge to question people's racial slurs. I know one unlucky soul will receive my full wrath and rage because of their arrogance and self pride some day.
I never swear either. I love studying philosophers and use them to strive for animal rights in my household to no avail. I badger my sister on a daily basis about eating meat. For all you vegans or lacto vegans like myself, you would enjoy studying Peter Singer the philosopher who published Animal Liberation.
Wow...I am thinking about listing you in my "heroes " thread.....all I can say is "talk, just keep talking"

Doc

Space Chief
I desire no fame or fortune or grattitude for my "heroics"? I am not one. I am a modest simpleton. However, I shall post a poem or too. This one was written when I first questioned materialism.

What am I

I bribe I kill I murder and cheat
You may hate me but I can’t be beat

Most people envy me and keep me very well
But if I’m used for evil, you may find yourself in Hell
Burn me Treasure me throw me into dust
But you need me for I am what you lust

Hide me in your deepest horde
But without me you will be bored

I corrupt and divorce and turn you on your friend
I take no side but you, for evil I will send

I am needed here on Earth, but burn me in the afterlife
But I’m always here on Earth to cause another strife

I hurt and help and comfort you with a dagger in my hand
Some of you will turn me away and some will take a stand

You hate me and love me as Gollum did the Ring
When I fall into your hands you’ll jump in joy and sing

And you’ll ask me what I am and I will say “Honey”
“I kill I cheat I lie and bribe, for I am simply MONEY”

I wrote this poem protesting the War in Iraq

A Poem for Love
While hope may diminish and faith insecure
The love of the world will surely endure
It cannot be taught it cannot be learned
It cannot be bought but it can be yearned
It’s hidden everywhere in the dark and in the light
Though it seems to be so far away, sometimes it’s in plain sight
Most often it’s easy for us to find
Others in oppression don’t feel so inclined
The seeds of time have blossomed and died
But love is always strong when we smiled and when we cried
No matter what happens whether tragic or sad
Love is still with us in the senior and the lad
We will fight one another until the bitter end
But love is found somewhere around the corner or the bend
Its soft loving hands caress us everyday
No matter when we turn our backs it’s here with us to stay
We may sometimes lose hope and our faith may fail
We may lose our loved ones and feel lost and frail
How sad we are for the friends we’ll never see
The Darkness surrounds us will we ever be free
Yet we must look into our own hearts to brave the storm ahead
We mustn’t turn to anger but look to love instead
For hope will diminish and faith insecure
Yet the Love of the world will surely endure

It used to be a lot harsher. I mentioned the error of our leaders and wrote more about people's blind judgement. However I changed it to try to make it of a more timeless and more uplifting poem.