• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hyper-partisanship. The Founding Fathers worst fears now have been realized.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I hit post prematurely - so here's the rest.

The other way great divisions are dealt with is: thesis, antithesis, synthesis - a philosophical idea.

We've seen this work in some areas such as light being treated both as a particle and a wave. I believe this is also possible in the political sphere.

One thing I note is that some things that appear to be fundamental aren't. The right used to be all in favor of local control rather than being dictated to by the Federal Government. Now the right is all in favor of Presidential power and the necessity of state and local governments following the dictates of the President.

Thus some of the apparent stances are really about power - we want our person to have control is the really important point, not where the power is located (centrally or locally).

And here, from another perspective, our California governor decided that counties were better able to manage some COVID restrictions than the central State government.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I was thinking about this and the political climate is probably the same as it was just before the civil war. I don't see war coming but major change.

I read about the parallels of conditions prior to the civil war myself, I like you don't think it's going to necessarily erupt , but I do think some type of action is going to need to be taken to end once and for all both the Republicans and the Democrats jettisoning into a form of politics where their former respective political identities will no longer be recognizable.

Riders

America Is Now the Divided Republic the Framers Feared

Hyper-partisan set in shockingly quick once the last of the Blue Dog (conservative) Democrats and liberal Republicans have become all but extinct in this country. The gate was intentionally slammed shut by rigging the system to prevent any new third-party from entering, effectively creating an entrenched dictatorship. As a result, we end up with the politicians that are in front of us now, where the people don't make candidate choices, rather we are given candidate choices to vote on.

A trio of questions for this thread to start things off, but by no means limited to those as others will have their own questions and commentary to contribute.

1) Can hyper-partisanship be reversed once it's entrenched?

Are Libertarians not going to be on the voter voting deal?Can we not vote 3rd party or Libertarian this time?

2) Is it even possible anymore for conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans to resurface and regain a foothold in a hyper-partisan climate?

3) Do moderate political ideologies even have a chance anymore?

In other words, can a Conservative amicably accept Liberal ideas, or can a Liberal amicably accept Conservative ideas without resorting to hyper-partisanship?

Curious George

Veteran Member
America Is Now the Divided Republic the Framers Feared

Hyper-partisan set in shockingly quick once the last of the Blue Dog (conservative) Democrats and liberal Republicans have become all but extinct in this country. The gate was intentionally slammed shut by rigging the system to prevent any new third-party from entering, effectively creating an entrenched dictatorship. As a result, we end up with the politicians that are in front of us now, where the people don't make candidate choices, rather we are given candidate choices to vote on.

A trio of questions for this thread to start things off, but by no means limited to those as others will have their own questions and commentary to contribute.

2) Is it even possible anymore for conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans to resurface and regain a foothold in a hyper-partisan climate?

In other words, can a Conservative amicably accept Liberal ideas, or can a Liberal amicably accept Conservative ideas without resorting to hyper-partisanship?

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."

We've all made mistakes. I am not sure whether there is too much momentum to turn this ship around. But i expect two things:

1) Things will get worse before they get better.

2) wherever we go from here, there we will be.

Cliché, I know. But what do you expect in a post on the internet?

To you questions:

1) yes
2) yes
3) maybe, but eventually yes.

Riders

I hit post prematurely - so here's the rest.

The other way great divisions are dealt with is: thesis, antithesis, synthesis - a philosophical idea.

We've seen this work in some areas such as light being treated both as a particle and a wave. I believe this is also possible in the political sphere.

One thing I note is that some things that appear to be fundamental aren't. The right used to be all in favor of local control rather than being dictated to by the Federal Government. Now the right is all in favor of Presidential power and the necessity of state and local governments following the dictates of the President.

Thus some of the apparent stances are really about power - we want our person to have control is the really important point, not where the power is located (centrally or locally).

So many folks have lost their job because of the virus.It is a disaster. A part of me just thinks no way Trump can be in the seat again, this is a disaster. But who knows? We are in an economic disaster! How much does the responsibility of lost jobs because of the virus falls on Trump?
And here, from another perspective, our California governor decided that counties were better able to manage some COVID restrictions than the central State government.

taykair

I never answered your questions. Sorry.

Any human attitude that can be taken up can also be put aside -- so yes, hyper-partisanship can be reversed. Right now, however, this is difficult due to answers two and three.

This is unlikely at present, since candidates (of either party) who become too chummy with "the enemy" will either face a more "ideologically pure" challenger in their primaries, or else discover that their districts have been gerrymandered out of existence.

As long as most folks believe that cooperation and compromise are the same as weakness or treason, then I'm afraid the answer is no.

Riders

So many folks have lost their job because of the virus.It is a disaster. A part of me just thinks no way Trump can be in the seat again, this is a disaster. But who knows? We are in an economic disaster! How much does the responsibility of lost jobs because of the virus falls on Trump?

taykair

Forgot to add this as well. Sorry.

poly.jpg