• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hydrangea Petal Colors Changing?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That:pthere was about Chris' foopah with some word.....
weren't you there ?

:p:p

You don't foopah with dyslexia, if the spell check says the word is right its right, especially when its wrong.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Oh my....I'm about ashamed of assuming your problem of dyslexia.
I was being a smart arss and we know that I'm not so awful smart.
It's the problem with having `soul` or `not`,
and the plants having `soul`, of which we were writing before, somewhere.
Or `something` somewhere ! Again...my sincere apologies to your `soul`.

How the flowers doing !

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Watch your ``acid` count ! maybe too much of something.
My wife had those and they respond to changes in the fertilizer.

Yes, you are correct. I don't remember which way it goes. but I think if the soil is acidic the colors will intensify. If the soil is basic they will be muted... or the other way around. Either way it's not a problem, depends on what you prefer, My father maintained some very large "snowball" plants, as we called them. He used to take iron shavings and filings and put them in the soil. The colors were beautiful, so I'm guessing it's the acid that makes the colors intensify.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm planning to re-pot it so hopefully that will bring back it's beautiful blue/lavender color!

I'm not sure if they thrive in a container, we never tried it. Planted in the soil they can grow very large and spread. They send out runners, but not like bamboo does. Btw, lilac bushes do that and can quite literally grow into trees. We had an enormous lilac tree in our backyard in "Nork" (Newark NJ) that spread. It was beautiful. But my mother used to complain that the nicest flowers were at the top (they were). We needed a painter's ladder to reach them. We also had a climbing rose that climbed up the side of the garage and over the top, hanging down all the way across. A family of cardinals had a nest in it. The trunk was pretty fat and woody. Beautiful cream colored roses a good 4" across that had an intense fragrance. My father was a jack-of-all-trades and master of quite a few. :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Oh my....I'm about ashamed of assuming your problem of dyslexia.
I was being a smart arss and we know that I'm not so awful smart.
It's the problem with having `soul` or `not`,
and the plants having `soul`, of which we were writing before, somewhere.
Or `something` somewhere ! Again...my sincere apologies to your `soul`.

How the flowers doing !

No problem, it's kind of difficult when i misspell something and it turns out to be a valid word. The spell check doesn't see it, and neither can i

Flowers are difficult, the pandemic means all garden centres and market flower sellers have been closed so nothing new this year. We did plant some left over potatoes that had sprouted. Will be eating the last of them tonight. But the old stuff... The first crops of strawberries has just about finished, strawberries twice a week for 2 months. This is the first year we have had figs on the fig tree, apples are doing good and the grapes... Wow the grapes.

Well you did ask :rolleyes:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yes, you are correct. I don't remember which way it goes. but I think if the soil is acidic the colors will intensify. If the soil is basic they will be muted... or the other way around. Either way it's not a problem, depends on what you prefer, My father maintained some very large "snowball" plants, as we called them. He used to take iron shavings and filings and put them in the soil. The colors were beautiful, so I'm guessing it's the acid that makes the colors intensify.
Acid makes them blue, so long as there is some aluminium in the soil (there usually is). Alkali makes them red or pink.

exchemist

Veteran Member
NOW.....what about my orchids ???
From what I have read, hydrangeas are almost unique in responding to aluminium availability in this way. So I don't think your orchids would change colour - unless they go brown because you have killed them by messing about with the soil. :D