• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hydrangea Petal Colors Changing?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
The flower petals on my hydrangea are changing color from blue to green (see pic). Is this a cause for concern? The plant seems otherwise healthy.
20200621_090509.jpg

Last edited:

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Watch your ``acid` count ! maybe too much of something.
My wife had those and they respond to changes in the fertilizer.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'm not claiming to be an expert. But one thing I know about hydrangeas is that they're very sensitive to soil ph. Doesn't mean they won't grow, only that flower color can change depending on the acid/alkaline balance in the soil.
It might be your fertilizer.
Tom

Thief

Rogue Theologian
if I may......my Wandering Jew ( vine full of leaves)
seems to behave the same way
very purple for the most part
but the other part is very green

I too think it's soil content

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Watch your ``acid` count ! maybe too much of something.
My wife had those and they respond to changes in the fertilizer.

I'm planning to re-pot it so hopefully that will bring back it's beautiful blue/lavender color!

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'm planning to re-pot it so hopefully that will bring back it's beautiful blue/lavender color!
Google out the best way to get that color.
Including your water.
Where I live, ground water is quite alkaline, due to a limestone substrate. Pine forests over an igneous substrate are very different.
Tom

exchemist

Veteran Member
The flower petals on my hydrangea are changing color from blue to green (see pic). Is this a cause for concern? The plant seems otherwise healthy. View attachment 40842
I think that's just what happens when the flowers get old and tired. One of mine goes through a change like that and then as autumn comes, it goes reddish before finally fading brown.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that's just what happens when the flowers get old and tired. One of mine goes through a change like that and then as autumn comes, it goes reddish before finally fading brown.

I wondered if it might just be a natural change they all go through. This is my first hydrangea so I wasn't sure. Sounds like the consensus is a soil change may do the trick.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I wondered if it might just be a natural change they all go through. This is my first hydrangea so I wasn't sure. Sounds like the consensus is a soil change may do the trick.
Soil pH certainly affects the colour of the blooms when they flower, but I gather the important effect of the pH change is to alter the uptake of aluminium. People add alum for blue, slate for purple and something alkaline (chalk? lime?) for pink).

There's a detailed article on the chemistry of hydrangea colours here: https://www.americanscientist.org/article/curious-chemistry-guides-hydrangea-colors. I've only just found this and have not done more than skim it so far, but one interesting point is that the blooms are not true flowers but inflorescences - modified leaves. I think this may be why they can go green.

I'm not convinced that once they've gone green they can get their colour back. I suspect once that change has occurred the bloom is over. But may be worth keeping in case of interesting and decorative further colour changes as the season progresses. After all, if they are green they are not dead.