• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hunting for the Joy of the Kill: Ethical or Not?

Hunting for the joy of the kill is

• Ethical

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Unethical

Votes: 19 86.4%

• Total voters

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The very idea that "the enjoyment of hunting/killing is hard-wired into Hominen psychology" is preposterous. I can't think of any noble reason why anyone would make such a claim. There is obviously no evidence that humans (or any other hominid) are or have ever been genetically determined to enjoy hunting and killing other animals.
Preposterous? -- it's Anthropology 101.
And what the heck is a "noble reason?"

Where do you think our anatomy, physiology and psychology came from -- magic poofing?

PeteC-UK

Hi Folks..

MrMr ;
I will say most hunters I know are not in the sport for the thrill of taking a life, but more for the thrill of the hunt. So I think most hunters are ethical, moral and humane. There will always be deviants, which is an mental illness.

Maybe so - but this is not the focus of THIS thread - which I remind again is clearly stated - is it ethical to take JOY from the KILL itself... Everything else is irrelevant - the issue is simple - does anyone take personal pleasure form ENDING A LIFE - and if so - do the rest of us feel that act is ethical or not..??...

It has nothing to do with the hunting - conservation - method - humane death or not - but is purely a matter of that one instant of actual DEATH and the EMOTION that it brings out in the "hunter"...Its all about the ACTUAL KILL itself - the ACTUAL ending of another LIFE for what amounts to purely selfish egoic satisfaction and some sense of "superiority" over the animal - as if they have some "right" to do as they wish WITH that other life...

Strip away the crap we soon see this act is despicable and nothing short of EVIL !! It amounts to MURDER for PERSONAL JOY and that is the only real foundational issue here.....This is not a "mental illness" - but it is a state of mind for sure - it is a matter of Self IGNORANCE as the individual doesnt even understand their own nature or Soul - and further more this leads to societies ignorance as a whole which of course is why this world is so crazy, confusing and why some of us are indeed borderline evil and not even realising it......Nobody likes to judge their own Self - but Folks - it ALL starts WITH the Self - therefore strip away the crap and take an honest look, always......

And what does it matter - if it is "hard wired" or genetic imperative - first point - the issue is whether we take EMOTIONAL JOY from the act - and NO this aspect is NOT hard wired at all as actually MOST people absolutely DEPLORE KILLING and could NOT kill an animal in cold blood in that manner (unless forced to) - so that argument is a bit of a fallacy to begin with - and second, the drive to HUNT may well be a necessity , but the point is we are HUMAN BEINGS - NOT MERE ANIMALS - we are NOT slaves to our genetic heritage - that is all part of that "self ignorance" I mention above - we are far more than a mere "body machine" and this is so SO easy to prove...Look - other things are similarly "hard wired" and yet we CHOOSE to over ride these urges all the time - just look at sex - the drive to reproduce is no1 top priority...If we were slave to this drive as suggested then every man would spend his days chasing and shagging women practically none stop - and such things as rape and paedophilia would be permitted and acceptable in the pursuit of these "natural urges" - just as murder is permitted for the hunter - yes..?..

After all both aspects - are just following the "hard wired natural drive" - yes..?....So - if society allows one aspect to be carried out as and when the individual chooses condones and supports that mindset - why not the other also..??.. To say such things are ACCEPTABLE because they are "hard wired" into our psyche is to also say such things as rape and child sex are "natural" by that same logic...

See now how ridiculous it is..??.....It is also hard wired to be a bully and a thief for example - to use violence and intimidation to dominate the world around - and yet - SUPPOSEDLY - we are an advanced Being Self AWARE should have SELF CONTROL and Be ABOVE such BASE urges - at least those WHO KNOW THEM SELF ARE ABOVE SUCH THINGS !!!!

I guess then - if we see the Self as an ANIMAL physical being with no Soul - then such base acts are to be embraced naturally to reflect the limited ignorant Self perception that individual holds - as always, they become the very thing they believe the Self to Be create that as a reflection OF their own Self awareness - a "human" animal acting on purely physical concerns - and spiritual issues never come up to such an individual, they simply ignore the Soul....BUT - when the Soul speaks clearly - such base acts are immediately put aside and the sacred unity of all Life is seen to be paramount...The individual will change their ways accordingly - so as always we should really just have llistened to Christ - who knew already all these little moral dilemmas we would face in this self created confusion - and told us very clearly that before we try to even deal with that world out there, we should first come to KNOW THY SELF He said,fully, completely - follow THAT guidance always....Good advise - for as we se ehere -the world out ther e is very confusing indeed -and we make it to be - not such a nice place - it could be so SO much better - if only we ALL realised that YES indeed LIFE IS SACRED - and that INNOCENCE should always be PROTECTED and nurtured - not hunted and murdered !!!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I do not the see the issue in black and white.
Thus I cannot vote.
I agree.
But I voted "ethical" cuz I find nothing inherently wrong with enjoying killing.
There is, however, great potential for unethical behavior resulting from this joy.

Nous

Premium Member
Preposterous? -- it's Anthropology 101.
Again, there is obviously no evidence that humans (or any other hominid) are or have ever been genetically determined to enjoy hunting and killing other animals. If you disagree, then just present that evidence.

I don't know where people get such baseless ideas about genetics, especially with respect to voluntary acts.

Silverscale derg

article-2592737-1CB1CB3200000578-46_634x356.jpg

7Nl2zNwEZIU.jpg

Comments?

Now that is a monster, we dragons are no monsters, we actually eat our kill instead of nailing their head to a wall. All life is important, it annoys me when people use "population control" and "god put animals on earth for humans" as an excuse for taking a life of a living, breathing, soul filled creature. Don't use coyotes as target practice, don't kill the biggest dear for the antlers. They will benefit from you taking the weaker ones instead of he healthy ones. Who are humans to call my kind monsters when this happens?