• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hunting for the Joy of the Kill: Ethical or Not?

Hunting for the joy of the kill is

• Ethical

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Unethical

Votes: 19 86.4%

• Total voters

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm very much against trophy hunting. I follow the creed that if your going to kill an animal, use it. Don't let it lay there to rot.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
What??? First of all, there's no such thing as an in-between species
Sure there are. Do you even read before you start explaining how someone is wrong?

Some species are very endangered. Some not, some are over populated. In-between are species that are somewhat endangered , or more so in some places than others.
Tom

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Hi Folks..

Many seem to misunderstand the thread premise - NOT about hunting to FEED the self - but hunting for the JOY of killing...

If there is such a joy..??....Seriously - does ANYBODY here think it is pleasurable to kill for sport..??...

Personally Ive only ever had to kill just one time - a cat - and it was an act of mercy not joy - and having done that act I know for sure there is no way would my Soul take ANY pleasure ANY TIME from taking a life - there is no "joy" in that act.... People who hunt and kill for sport are DESPICABLE - evil - no other way to describe it..

Any such hunters here..?.... if there are - then how about I give you half hour head start - then I come for YOU - yes..??....Sound fair and acceptable..??.. I chase YOU for a while - get you all panicky and scared witless - then I close in and murder you IN COLD BLOOD - look you right in the eye so you know whats coming - to prove MY "superiority - my, "manliness" lol - my "right to dominate" - and show you in that moment just before I end your sad pathetic life just what a true FOOL you really are !!

Hunting for the "joy" of the kill indeed - I would show them the complete error of their ways - and not for MY sport or personal satisfaction - but simply to protect the INNOCENT and to rid the world of one less evil..
*yawn*

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Yeah, really.
There are RF members trying desperately to find an inflammatory thread subject that doesn't include the USA presidential race.
Fat chance.
Some aussie dude brought up gay marriage. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Tom

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I voted ethical because when I researched the definition it indicate Good determined by a group or societal standard. Some group or society surly sees it as good.

Secondly Trophy hunting animals is no different than trophy hunting beauty as in Miss America or Miss Universe. Its no different then Trophy hunting sports as in the Lombardy Trophy. You are wasting time doing something that is mostly going to benefit you. Charity and entertainment value is minimal.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you hunt just for the joy of killing the animal, then you have the trait of a psychopath, you need help.
I respectfully disagree. For 99% of our species' existence we depended on hunting to survive. The drive to hunt, like the sex drive, became hard-wired into our psyches. It's normal, functional Cro-Magnon psychology.

With the end of the last glacial period and the beginning of the agricultural revolution, this drive became less functional, in some of the new pastoral and agricultural societies it was even dysfunctional. Natural selection began selecting for a new psychological type; more sedentary and
future oriented, but the hunting drive remains strong in many.
It may not be as functional as it once was, but I wouldn't label the drive pathological.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I respectfully disagree. For 99% of our species' existence we depended on hunting to survive. The drive to hunt, like the sex drive, became hard-wired into our psyches. It's normal, functional Cro-Magnon psychology.

With the end of the last glacial period and the beginning of the agricultural revolution, this drive became less functional, in some of the new pastoral and agricultural societies it was even dysfunctional. Natural selection began selecting for a new psychological type; more sedentary and
future oriented, but the hunting drive remains strong in many.
It may not be as functional as it once was, but I wouldn't label the drive pathological.
I'm talking about kill for fun, not hunting for food, an advanced being doesn't kill for fun.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I understand, but I think a lot of people who still retain the hunting drive would take exception to being cast among the non advanced.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Sure there are. Do you even read before you start explaining how someone is wrong?

Some species are very endangered. Some not, some are over populated. In-between are species that are somewhat endangered , or more so in some places than others.
Tom
Gotcha. My mistake.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Unethical (and a bit sick to me) in many cases but probably not always.

Edited to reflect a change in pespective.

Last edited by a moderator:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Tom
There's actually an official hierarchy of how endangered an animal is. It looks like this:
SpotGTB_Figure.jpg

PeteC-UK

Hi Folks..

Skwim;
I would have bet this would happen. In fact, it illustrates what happens with a lot of threads. People go off on irrelevant tangents. Not to address a new subject, but in belief they're talking abut the original issue.

lol...really...??....Lets see - the ORIGINAL question is about KILLING for JOY - yes..?...NOT ABOUT hunting for meat or survival - NOT THAT AT ALL - clearly stated - HUNTING for the sheer JOY of it !!!

So my friend read it again and see that it is NOT I who took it off topic - indeed I tried to steer it back on course by reminding us all just what the real issue here is - seems still another reminder is needed - NOT ABOUT HUNTING FOR NECESSITY, but KILLING FOR PLEASURE !!! Do let it sink in Folks - there is a HUGE difference obviously and it is all the other comments about meat and what animals and methods are acceptable etc - THESE are the off topic comments here as the thread itself is about KILLING for JOY and nothing else !!...

Read it again if you must - then ask the question again - WHO is ACTUALLY taking the topic off on irrelevant tangeants..?...NOT I - I want you (all) to see the truth of the things you say - not hide behind these other "acceptable" aspects or delude yourself(s) with "political correctness" - but see the naked truth of the reality we live...It is clearly NOT the intent of this thread at all to discuss any aspect EXCEPT the issue of KILLING FOR PERSONAL SATISFACTION AND PLEASURE - there I say it boldly so there can be no more mistakes..- the poll and question is very clear isnt it - hunting for JOY alone and is that "ethical" - I say CLEARLY and many here obviously agree even if they wont yet speak so bold - this issue amounts to nothing less than MURDER of innocent animal lives for the individuals sick personal pleasure and such an individual taking part in that so called "sport" is not even deserving to be classed AS a human being at all - but to my mind are lower on the scale than even the "animals" they hunt for fun...

Now - people may WISH to try to avoid that core issue by bringing up these smoke screen camoflague issues such as hunting specific species and why, methods etc etc - but that is NOT issue at all - IRRELEVANT - the issue is whether it is ETHICAL to KILL for JOY and plaeasure that it "supposedly" brings....

Mestemia; "yawn" all you want - probably best you just stay asleep anyway - I mean - its not like you ever have anything substantial to offer or contribute here - so you may as well remain in your ignorant slumber for now and say nothing at all if it suits - you seem to be very good at that arent you..?...

oh - btw - the links..??.. pretty irrelevant - its about hunting for CONSERVATION issues - irrelevant to THIS discussion as this discussion is about killing for FUN and the joy it brings and whether this aspect is "ethical" or not..lol....

(that ridiculous statement always makes me laugh in that sarcastic way because it is indeed a RIDICULOUS statement as if joy and killing could ever possibly be the same)

Bob;
Secondly Trophy hunting animals is no different than trophy hunting beauty as in Miss America or Miss Universe. Its no different then Trophy hunting sports as in the Lombardy Trophy.

WHAT..????.......You seriously believe that KILLING an innocent life is the same issue as judging a "beauty contest"..??....WOW !!! thats all I can say really...WOW !!!

Can I ask you (all) - have you ever actually killed anything in cold blood..?...Premeditated - how did it REALLY feel...????....

or better yet - heres the real kicker - any of you ever ACTUALLY been hunted down yourself..?..Ever had anyone - or a group - chasing after YOU that would DEFINATELY kill you if they could get you..?....HOW DID IT MAKE YOU FEEL..????......

Most here wont have any clue or direct experience of course - and so most here are missing the core issue entirely and not even considering the truth of the real world situation at all - basing their "ethics" on a delusional belief that they have no direct experience of and probably that belief would change in a heart beat IF they ever faced it themselves...As always Folks - KNOW THY SELF - what you speak here at the surface mind will not be your truth if YOU were the one hunted and thats almost guaranteed !!!

Yerda

Veteran Member

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Thanks for the articles. There are definitely some points about conservation to be taken from them.

How would you say that they illuminate the question of whether or not it is ethical to hunt animals for the pleasure of killing?
The articles are about the benefits of trophy hunting when it is done right.
The one goes into detail about how much damage anti-hunters can do to a population.

The hunters in my circle and I report all kill and drop sites we come across.
We do not condone such behaviour.

Two of us hunt for the thrill of the hunt.
We donate our kills to a local butcher shop who processes the animals and donates them to the local food bank.
The rest either process the animals themselves or take them to the same butcher to be processed for a fee.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Hi Folks..
Skwim;
lol...really...??....Lets see - the ORIGINAL question is about KILLING for JOY - yes..?...NOT ABOUT hunting for meat or survival - NOT THAT AT ALL - clearly stated - HUNTING for the sheer JOY of it !!!

So my friend read it again and see that it is NOT I who took it off topic - indeed I tried to steer it back on course by reminding us all just what the real issue here is - seems still another reminder is needed - NOT ABOUT HUNTING FOR NECESSITY, but KILLING FOR PLEASURE !!! Do let it sink in Folks - there is a HUGE difference obviously and it is all the other comments about meat and what animals and methods are acceptable etc - THESE are the off topic comments here as the thread itself is about KILLING for JOY and nothing else !!...
My post wasn't meant to imply you did. It was merely a recognition and confirmation of what you said. I am agreeing with you. :)

Nous

Premium Member
Humans "hunting for the joy of the kill" is morally no different than raping for the joy of the conquest.
Prove it.
P1: All intentional human acts that cause unnecessary and non-beneficent suffering and are perpetrated solely to satisfy temporary human desires are acts that are morally equivalent.
P2: “Hunting for the joy of the kill” and “rape for the joy of the conquest” are intentional human acts that cause unnecessary and non-beneficent suffering and are perpetrated solely to satisfy temporary human desires.
C: Therefore, “hunting for the joy of the kill” and “rape for the joy of the conquest” are acts that are morally equivalent.