• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hunters: Live by the gun, die by the gun.

chelee

I think it's safe to assume that there are some real jerks out there who hunt simply for the pleasure of killing, but I don't think it's fair to group all pleasure hunters in this category.
retrorich,
I think what people are getting from your initial entry that you are assuming that the hunters killed were the "pleasuer hunters" which is why you had no sympathy for them. Maybe you should do some rewording to get your point across, if this is not what you meant to say.

As for the meat from the grocery store, I, like many others would prefer eating a deer killed in a field or fish caught from the lake because at least they had a free life, and a quick death. Also the safety of the product is much better. (If it adds any credibility to my case, I only eat beef if it comes from my neighbor's farm... a place where I work, and see how well the animals are treated and (i know this is an oxymoron) humanely slaughtered.)

Here's a perplexing situation for you all...
Your horse, that you have had for twenty years (a decent time for a horse) and you walk out to the pasture to find it falling over. The diagnosis is a stroke. What do you do, call the vet and pay to have it euthanized or take it into your own hands w/ your gun?

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
chelee said:
retrorich,
I think what people are getting from your initial entry that you are assuming that the hunters killed were the "pleasuer hunters" which is why you had no sympathy for them. Maybe you should do some rewording to get your point across, if this is not what you meant to say.
That is exactly what I meant to say, and I have restated it in several times in various posts to this thread.

For example:

"This thread seems to have gotten a bit off topic. That is not bad, of course, since many interesting subjects have been discussed (animal population control, people who need to hunt to feed their families, vegetarianism, etc.).

I would, however, be interested in hearing more opinions about people who hunt for the sheer PLEASURE of killing animals. These do not include people who are forced to hunt because they cannot afford to buy meat. I believe PLEASURE HUNTERS tend to spend more money on fancy hunting clothes, rifles, ammunition, bows and arrows, gasoline, etc., than they would have to spend to buy their meat in a store.

I doubt that many PLEASURE HUNTERS sincerely care about controlling animal populations. The more animals around, the more opportunities PLEASURE HUNTERS have to kIll them. And I doubt that many PLEASURE HUNTERS actually prefer the taste of venison, squirrel and rabbit to beef, pork and chicken.

I'm talking about PLEASURE HUNTERS--who actually get a THRILL from hitting animals with bullets or arrows and watching them stagger and fall to the ground.

It's easy enough to make rationalizations and excuses for one's actions--but I'm concerned here with the REAL motivations."

Per you suggestion, I have added an explanatory note to my initial post. Thanks for your help! :)