• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hunters: Live by the gun, die by the gun.

Ceridwen018

You certainly have a point, robtex. My cousins hunt instead of play basketball because it's part of the culture they were raised with. In rural Ohio, that's just what people do--and to be completely honest, it's a good thing too, because our deer populations get out of hand quickly. That aside, you are completely right when you say that they probably gain more pleasure when they're sucessful, rather than if they fail to kill anything. Knowing my cousins, they aren't disappointed by lack of success because they didn't get the chance to kill something, rather, because failure in general causes disappointment in humans.

Bottom line, even for those people out there who kill because they enjoy the actual killing, we can't control the ways people think. I don't agree with them, but as long as they stay within legal limits, such as not killing more than the quota per person, and not killing out of season, there's nothing we can do.

I have a quick question though--what about fishing? Does anyone consider fishing to be killing or a form of hunting?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
But I have zero sympathy for the victims or the perpetrator. They (the hunters) enjoyed pumping bullets into innocent animals. I wonder if they enjoyed being on the receiving end.

What an immoral and ugly statement. Two wrongs NEVER make a right. It appears that you have enjoyed their demise from afar. How sad that in your vindictiveness you are guilty of the same crime you have accused them of.

Matthew 5:3. "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
6. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
7. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
8. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
9. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.

Hating others will only bring hate on yourself.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
NetDoc said:
[/font]

What an immoral and ugly statement. Two wrongs NEVER make a right. It appears that you have enjoyed their demise from afar. How sad that in your vindictiveness you are guilty of the same crime you have accused them of.

Matthew 5:3. "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
6. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
7. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
8. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
9. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.

Hating others will only bring hate on yourself.
Did you actually read my thread?

I have not enjoyed their demise. I merely said that I have zero sympathy for them--and I stand behind that statement. And all the Bible quotes in the world won't change my mind.

Just like all the logical arguments in the world won't change the minds of Christians who hate gays.

Scuba Pete

huajiro said:
Ever hear of moving animals to other areas? Controlling populations by other means? Hunting is the "good ol' boy" solution.
Can you tell us how many animals you have moved then? Since you are so concerned for their welfare, I am certain you are actively involved in this. Are you too lazy, or is it just not your problem? Either way, it sounds fairly hypocritical to tell someone how THEY should solve a problem unless you are willing to be a part of that solution.

But of course, if you are actually involved, then I am mistaken and you have my apologies. You would indeed be a unique individual. But usually, after all is said and done. there is a WHOLE lot more said than done. ;)

huajiro

I do what I can where I live...I volunteer at the local Humane Society here in San Diego....there arent many deer on the beaches. I am looking for more that I can do, if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
So ? I ask you , are farmers and ranchers " killers " ? :) Do they raise animals , just because they enjoy killing them ? That food you find in the supermarket every week doesn't just appear there . Every piece of it was once living . What is the difference ?

Fishing ! Now that is a cruel sport .

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
kreeden said:
So ? I ask you , are farmers and ranchers " killers " ? :) Do they raise animals , just because they enjoy killing them ? That food you find in the supermarket every week doesn't just appear there . Every piece of it was once living . What is the difference ?

Professional animal slaughterers are indeed killers. But I doubt whether many of them do it for fun. It's their job--and what they do is essential to keeping us fed. Unfortunately, species have to feed upon each other to survive.

Most "pleasure hunters," I believe, do it for fun, not because they need, or even want, the meat. That makes all the difference to me.

I believe that killing any living thing FOR FUN is deplorable.

Scuba Pete

Did you actually read my thread?
Several times, and each time I was more aghast that anyone could wish death on another... for whatever reason.

lack of sympathy=you feel they got what they deserved=you AGREE that killing them is just.

You might as well have shot them yourself.

BTW, I love Gays. What's that got to do with hate? Do you think it right to hate others because they hate? An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth make for a sightless and toothless world. You do athiests proud with your attitude of hate and vengeance.

Scuba Pete

I believe that killing any living thing FOR FUN is deplorable.
But you think that killing 15 year old Jessica in anger was justified. Somehow I get the feeling that you don't believe in God because you think he would be just like you. Hey, I wouldn't believe in him either.

huajiro

kreeden said:

I still have nightmares about cleaning fish when I was a kid.

huajiro

retrorich said:
Professional animal slaughterers are indeed killers. But I doubt whether many of them do it for fun. It's their job--and what they do is essential to keeping us fed. Unfortunately, species have to feed upon each other to survive.
Please keep in mind that these people do not feed many of us, please do not include us in there.

Scuba Pete

kreeden said:
Fishing ! Now that is a cruel sport
ESPECIALLY for the fishermen! :D

The only time I have felt scared while diving was when I accompanied a spear fisherman. He had just popped a nice grouper when a 10-12 ft Bull Shark blasted between us and proceeded to eat his fish. Undaunted, the spear fisherman grabbed the butt of his gun and began clubbing the shark. The shark rolled, shearing all but the head of the fish and swam off. While it is quite common for divers to pee in their wetsuits, I admit to other bodily functions.

On the boat, the spear fisherman did not understand my reticence to accompany him on the second dive.

While I have hunted the elusive spiney Florida lobster, I can safely say that spear fishing is not for me.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
:) I have only been in the water with a bull shark once .... and wasn't there long . ;)

I'm with Painted Wolf on being a part of the food chain , after I die . The idea of becoming a part while still alive is another matter ... :)

Huajiro , you will never make a farm boy . :) But that is cool .

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
NetDoc said:
Several times, and each time I was more aghast that anyone could wish death on another... for whatever reason.

lack of sympathy=you feel they got what they deserved=you AGREE that killing them is just.

You might as well have shot them yourself.

BTW, I love Gays. What's that got to do with hate? Do you think it right to hate others because they hate? An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth make for a sightless and toothless world. You do athiests proud with your attitude of hate and vengeance.
Read my posts several times? I'm beginning to wonder if you know how to read at all. Or perhaps you just enjoy misquoting people. I said that I have zero sympathy for the hunters who were shot. I DID NOT WISH DEATH ON THEM. I NEVER SAID THAT KILLING THEM WAS JUST. I HOPE THAT THE PERPETRATOR, IF FOUND GUILTY, IS PUNISHED TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE LAW!

I do not hate hunters. I do not seek vengeance. I just disaprove of what they do.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
NetDoc said:
But you think that killing 15 year old Jessica in anger was justified. Somehow I get the feeling that you don't believe in God because you think he would be just like you. Hey, I wouldn't believe in him either.
Sir: Will you kindly stop attributing statements to me that I have never made?

I most certainly DO NOT approve of killing anyone in anger!

Scuba Pete

retrorich,

I put no words in your mouth... you just fail to see the very real progression.

When you say you have "No Sympathy" we can then infer, that you felt that they "Got What They Deserved".

Once we have deduced that you feel that they "Got What They Deserve", then it follows that you feel whatever consequences they recieved were justified. Unfortunately then, it becomes symptomatic that you feel their deaths were justified.

Since little 15 year old Jessica was a victim of this heinous act, it only logically follows that you agree with her death at the hands of an angry man.

Rather than putting words in your mouth, I am following them to their logical conclusion. You can be upset with me as much as you want, but perhaps in the future you will choose your words more wisely.

This is as hypocritcal as someone who is anti-abortion and pro-war or pro abortion and anti-war. Killing is killing. Murder is murder. In your show of righteous indignation you have justified the deaths of innocents.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
NetDoc said:
retrorich,

I put no words in your mouth... you just fail to see the very real progression.

When you say you have "No Sympathy" we can then infer, that you felt that they "Got What They Deserved".

Once we have deduced that you feel that they "Got What They Deserve", then it follows that you feel whatever consequences they recieved were justified. Unfortunately then, it becomes symptomatic that you feel their deaths were justified.

Since little 15 year old Jessica was a victim of this heinous act, it only logically follows that you agree with her death at the hands of an angry man.

Rather than putting words in your mouth, I am following them to their logical conclusion. You can be upset with me as much as you want, but perhaps in the future you will choose your words more wisely.

This is as hypocritcal as someone who is anti-abortion and pro-war or pro abortion and anti-war. Killing is killing. Murder is murder. In your show of righteous indignation you have justified the deaths of innocents.
Dude, you are so full of _ _ _ _ , your eyes must be brown! :biglaugh: