• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hunters: Live by the gun, die by the gun.

huajiro

chelee said:
Deer hunting is not just a sport in northern wisconsin, it is a necesity. Without it the deer population would grow too large, and they would starve to death. Ever heard of cronic wasting disease? i think you should research it before you declare that hunting is not necesary.
Ever hear of moving animals to other areas? Controlling populations by other means? Hunting is the "good ol' boy" solution.

huajiro

It makes me laugh how so many people in this country have this image of a poor deer population without any food and this great big strong hunter coming to feed his family and save the deer population from starvation.

I grew up around deer hunters. I have never met one that actually considered the deer. They are these lazy, nasty, stupid people who get drunk and go after free meat. If they are drinking, how can they give the deer a quick death? This incident was probably a drunken brawl.

chelee

So where do you propose we move them to? Like I said, over 1 million deer. we keep invading their home and killing their predators. If we feed them, we kill them slowly and painfully. By hunting a few (keep in mind there is a limit to the number of tags distributed each year, and not all the tags are filled) we kill them quickly. As for the ones that actuallly consider the deer, i'd like to know where these people are from, because every one i met will not begin drinking until after dark, (when they aren't hunting) the rest of the day is coffee only to ensure the safety of the hunters around them. Also, why was he carrying a weapon way more powerful than needed for hunting deer? Here are the facts in my mind: It is a sad situation. Deer hunting is going to stay in Wisconsin, like it our not. The people of Northwestern Wisconsin do not hate Hmong or Laotians because of this isolated incident.
Finally, Vang was in the wrong for being in that tree stand, having too many hunters in an area is dangerous, as this situation proves.

HelpMe

·´sociopathic meanderer`·
a huge male deer trompted through the main streets of Cedar Rapids once and got to the second level of a local business center via the elevator. (I'll always wonder if he punched the button himself, or if whoever was exiting the elevator decided the oncoming passenger might enjoy a little trip upstairs.)
lol

i'd like to know if a vegan considers plantlife to be less alive than animal life.

huajiro

chelee said:
So where do you propose we move them to? Like I said, over 1 million deer. we keep invading their home and killing their predators. If we feed them, we kill them slowly and painfully. By hunting a few (keep in mind there is a limit to the number of tags distributed each year, and not all the tags are filled) we kill them quickly. As for the ones that actuallly consider the deer, i'd like to know where these people are from, because every one i met will not begin drinking until after dark, (when they aren't hunting) the rest of the day is coffee only to ensure the safety of the hunters around them. Also, why was he carrying a weapon way more powerful than needed for hunting deer? Here are the facts in my mind: It is a sad situation. Deer hunting is going to stay in Wisconsin, like it our not. The people of Northwestern Wisconsin do not hate Hmong or Laotians because of this isolated incident.
Finally, Vang was in the wrong for being in that tree stand, having too many hunters in an area is dangerous, as this situation proves.
All the transport from Iraq could be sent to move them. In a perfect world, people would worry more about life than war, in a perfect world.
chelee said:
the rest of the day is coffee only to ensure the safety of the hunters around them.
Yes, other living beings are their main priority, that is why Vang is going to hang.

huajiro

HelpMe said:
lol

i'd like to know if a vegan considers plantlife to be less alive than animal life.
That question is normally the attempt of an omnivore to keep from analyzing his own situation and cause a vegetarian to realize that he is not perfect. In all reality, no one is perfect, and no one should judge. Everyone should analyze their current situation and attempt to improve how they treat others.

chelee

sorry buddy, Vang is not going to hang, because Wisconsin doesnt employ the death penalty... nice rhyme though, good try, very creative

huajiro

chelee said:
sorry buddy, Vang is not going to hang, because Wisconsin doesnt employ the death penalty... nice rhyme though, good try, very creative
I knew I would get called on it, but it sounded cool.:jam:

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Ever hear of moving animals to other areas? Controlling populations by other means? Hunting is the "good ol' boy" solution.

I grew up around deer hunters. I have never met one that actually considered the deer. They are these lazy, nasty, stupid people who get drunk and go after free meat. If they are drinking, how can they give the deer a quick death? This incident was probably a drunken brawl.

All the transport from Iraq could be sent to move them. In a perfect world, people would worry more about life than war, in a perfect world.
Wow. A lot of bitterness there.

Not all hunters are bad. An ex of mine actually did have to relie on hunting while he was growing up to have enough food. They were very very poor. Not everyone is as privileged as you. Stereotyping all of something as being one way is ignorant.

Secondly, there are far too many deer. Where the hell do you want them moved to? They'll just breed more and come back.

Do you have a solution with a basis in reality?

chelee

yay, somebody finally understands what i've been trying to say!! *dances around all crazy like*

and once again, A for effort on the whole "vang will hang" line

And ditto to the whole where to move them thing, if the hunters can only bag 200,000 out of the million, how are we going to get them, and where are we going to put them? maybe we should turn them loose in the cities! hehe j/k. I think this subject is dying quickly

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
huajiro said:
In a perfect world, people would worry more about life than war, in a perfect world.

Maybe in a perfect world. In the real world, death is a reality of life that cannot be avoided. Everything that lives is going to die. It is human folly to think that we can make it otherwise. The only thing that we have some control over is the quality of life.

It used to be that the deer population was kept in check by natural predators. Do you think that a wolf is immoral for killing a deer? Since we've killed off most of the wolves, the deer population is too large for the ecosystem to support. This has dire effects not only on the deer and people but also the other plants and animals in the system. Everything is interconnected. When something goes out of whack, everything is effected.

You're reaction against hunting is based on sentiment - feeling bad for the death of the animals. Compassion is a good trait but it needs to be balanced by reason. One needs to look at the bigger picture.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
huajiro said:
We had a similar problem here with Kangaroos. Puckapunyal army base is over run with the things (and it isn't the only place in the country) and there was a plan to cull to reduce numbers. They can't get off the base, they're going to starve.
So then you get people protesting, because it's wrong to shoot the animals. Better - apparently - that they should starve to death.
We also have problems here with feral goats, pigs, buffalo, deer and camels, not to mention the rabbits and foxes. Is it wrong to hunt them also?
As to other means of control, what would you suggest? Biological controls? If you'd seen some of them in action, you might reconsider your stance on the inhumanity of hunting.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I know here in NH we are trying to develop a 'birth control' drug for our deer population. Is Australia still using thier virsion of this to help keep the kangaroo population in check? I know it seemed a promicing step over there a while ago.
Considering the chaos that the introduced animals are having in Australia, I'm all for the culling of thier rabbit and other non-native animal populations.

The problem with transporting animals to new locations is the enormous number of deer that would have to be moved, quite literally in the millions. Then the question is where do you put them? What do you do when all states are over run with white tail deer? Personally I'm in favor of re-introducing natural predators, but too many people are sqemish about the idea of having wolves in thier 'back yards'.

The deer populations are causeing all sorts of problems not just for the native plants that they overbrowse to the point of endagering them to extinction, but in terms of disease to the human population. Here in NH we have a problem with Lyme Disease wich is bourn primarily by the deer tick. Lyme disease is a very nasty neurological illness.

wa:do

chelee

I'm interested in learning more on this birth control drug. How is it administerd? Who/What group is in charge of administering it? This could be a viable option here in WI, but I'm not sure if they are doing anything about it yet. (hunting helps some, but not enough)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
The contraceptive is delivered with a dart gun. This is the biggest problem with the birth control plan thus far, how to deliver it on a large scale. There is talk about trying to develop a digestable virsion of the drug that can be added to the winter feed stations. Current estimates put the NH deer population at over 85,000 animals, up from 75,000 in 2000. I believe that the NH fish and game dpt. is in charge of this program.

And speaking of the NH deer population some more interesting facts on our local browsers.
Last season hunters killed 9,143 deer, so far over 1,000 pounds of meat (both legitamately gained and siezed from poachers) has been donated to the 'hunt for the hungry' program. The program provides food to local shelters and needy familys.

huajiro

lady_lazarus said:
We had a similar problem here with Kangaroos. Puckapunyal army base is over run with the things (and it isn't the only place in the country) and there was a plan to cull to reduce numbers. They can't get off the base, they're going to starve.
So then you get people protesting, because it's wrong to shoot the animals. Better - apparently - that they should starve to death.
We also have problems here with feral goats, pigs, buffalo, deer and camels, not to mention the rabbits and foxes. Is it wrong to hunt them also?
As to other means of control, what would you suggest? Biological controls? If you'd seen some of them in action, you might reconsider your stance on the inhumanity of hunting.
I will never reconsider my stance on anything...killing is wrong. As I said before, with what we spend on the military and selfish pleasures, we pay to keep every living being alive and healthy.

huajiro

painted wolf said:
I know here in NH we are trying to develop a 'birth control' drug for our deer population. Is Australia still using thier virsion of this to help keep the kangaroo population in check? I know it seemed a promicing step over there a while ago.
Considering the chaos that the introduced animals are having in Australia, I'm all for the culling of thier rabbit and other non-native animal populations.

The problem with transporting animals to new locations is the enormous number of deer that would have to be moved, quite literally in the millions. Then the question is where do you put them? What do you do when all states are over run with white tail deer? Personally I'm in favor of re-introducing natural predators, but too many people are sqemish about the idea of having wolves in thier 'back yards'.

The deer populations are causeing all sorts of problems not just for the native plants that they overbrowse to the point of endagering them to extinction, but in terms of disease to the human population. Here in NH we have a problem with Lyme Disease wich is bourn primarily by the deer tick. Lyme disease is a very nasty neurological illness.

Amen to birth control brother Painted Wolf

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I will never reconsider my stance on anything...killing is wrong. As I said before, with what we spend on the military and selfish pleasures, we pay to keep every living being alive and healthy.

Healthy attitude, to never consider anything else. So we don't need a military? And please define selfish pleasures.

You still haven't given a solution.

Birth control is a good idea, but we can't get all of them, not even a good number. It's very hit and miss.

There is still far too much life on this Earth, humans included. Death must happen.

huajiro

jamaesi said:
Healthy attitude, to never consider anything else. So we don't need a military? And please define selfish pleasures.

You still haven't given a solution.

Birth control is a good idea, but we can't get all of them, not even a good number. It's very hit and miss.

There is still far too much life on this Earth, humans included. Death must happen.
In a perfect world, we wouldn't have to think of war. In a perfect world.