• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humility draws us closer to God, it does not have us flee

Mark Dohle

bridgeofhumility.jpg

Humility draws us closer to God, it does not have us flee

When you adore Me, forgetting yourself and forsaking all things for Me, you imitate Me, for adoration is a kind of death. It is a passing out of everything that solicits the senses and a cleaving to Me alone in the bright darkness of faith. So it will be in the hour of your death.

A Benedictine Monk. In Sinu Jesu: When Heart Speaks to Heart
--The Journal of a Priest at Prayer (pp. 259-260). Angelico Press. Kindle Edition.

People often mistake prayer, when filled with consolation, as truly the best prayer drawing us closer to God. This could be true, but for the most part, that kind of prayer is sought after not for the love of God, but for what God can give us, namely good feelings, and a warm experience of the Father’s embrace. These we will receive when needed, and beginners tend to get more than those more advanced.

Yet when we enter deeper into the “bright light of faith” we will often not find consolation, but dryness, or coldness and agitation. We can run to God for consolation, but we will often get the opposite. This kind of prayer is truly precious because we are seeking God for God’s sake, and not for our own. Which is not an easy place to arrive. Hence the often slow progress that accompanies a life of prayer. The death to our ‘little-selves’ takes time and God does not seem to be in a hurry.

As we grow in self-knowledge, this can also become an obstacle in prayer if we do get over the false notion that we have to be ‘good’ in order to pray. If we wait until we are good enough before we pray, well, we will never pray. Humility draws us closer to God, it does not have us flee.-Br.MD

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
The "I am close to God but you aren't" approach shows a lack of humility.
The "God is the source of me, and equally you" approach shows humility