• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

humanity beginning theory at atheism

islam abduallah

excuse my ignorance as i never read about atheism, i'd like to know the story of human beginning at atheism, do they think it starts by a male and female too, or multiple couples or another scenario ? and what about different people shapes and colors

thanks for your patience

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
excuse my ignorance as i never read about atheism, i'd like to know the story of human beginning at atheism, do they think it starts by a male and female too, or multiple couples or another scenario ? and what about different people shapes and colors

thanks for your patience
Firstly, origin of human beings has nothing to do with atheism, but is explained through scientific research on biological evolution. Humans emerged from ancient apes through the process of evolutionary modification of their biological traits over about 7 million years. The process of evolution happens over generations and works on the entire populations of living beings that can breed together. At no time was the proto-human population was likely to be less than 5000 - 10,000 individuals, though for most of the time it was far larger.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Evolution is pretty strange, we don't know the answer to the question of why genders were separated.
Starting with the worms of survival traits there aren't any real indicators, are they ?
I have no real answers for you, but would to listen to the answers myself, excluding the biblical explanations of genesis. Ahhh..the eggs vs. the sperm...that is the question. ! Love those worms !

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
hey guys and gals....I think he's referring to gender, not evolution.
Maybe I got off on the wrong foot ? Oh well....confused again !

islam abduallah

yes, genders are the main wonder to me, in Abraham beliefs, we say god created male and female simply, then discoursing then offspring then us

what do atheists believe in ? how human start to be divided into males and females? then different colors, shapes and languages

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
It has nothing to with atheism....forget about the genesis version.
The worms started the format but I don't really know what happened after that. If you insist on believing in the genesis, good luck.
As being a non-believer, I think this is your concern, again, good luck ! Think about the snails and the fig, that also is strange !

sealchan

yes, genders are the main wonder to me, in Abraham beliefs, we say god created male and female simply, then discoursing then offspring then us

what do atheists believe in ? how human start to be divided into males and females? then different colors, shapes and languages

Again as was said above, an atheist as such had nothing to say...however science shows that human sexuality is a result of mammalian sexuality and extends back into the first organisms which developed the basis is sexual vs asexual reproduction.

The diversity of humans arises out of the same context...species diverge if over a sufficient time their populations separate (dont sexually intermix). There was an article somewhere recently showing how two different hominid species produced a child...

Denisovan and Neanderthal DNA disovered in 50,0000 year old bone fragment - CNN

..so these different species aren't necessarily unable to then reproduce...the lines between species are not absolute but fluid as were there ancestral connections on the tree of life.

So diversity, multiplicity and sexuality are all characteristics of humanity from it's very beginnings per science...which is often the one stop shop for truth on such matters for atheists.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Gender is a byproduct of sexual reproduction that originally evolved in algae and amoeba like creatures so that they could share genetic materials with other amoeba lineages, creating new recombinations and hence improving the chance of survival. This has been experimentally tested. Sexually reproducing populations outcompete asexual populations in a changing environment.
https://phys.org/news/2016-12-sex-evolved-future-infection-scientists.html
A team of experts from the University of Stirling have taken an innovative approach to test the costs and benefits of sex. Using an organism that can reproduce both ways, the waterflea, researchers found sexually produced offspring were more than twice as resistant to infectious disease as their clonal sisters.

See this informative article in BBC for more,
The real reasons why we have sex

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

The division into genders happened *long* before humans were on the scene. The gender of all mammals is determined genetically---whether we have an XX or an XY pattern of sex chromosomes (although there are other factors). As I recall, the same is true for birds, although the males among birds have two of the same chromosome (AA, as opposed to AB females).

Other species are more diverse. many species of fish can change genders during their life as can many amphibians. Earthworms are hermaphroditic: they are *both* male and female at the same time. Some species of lizard only have females.

So, the basic answer to your question is that our ancestors for many millions of years were already separated into male and female. Humans just continued that characteristic.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Sex evolved long before people came along, if that is what you are asking. Humans, you and I and everyone else here, except perhaps for @Revoltingest , are the product of evolution.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Homo Sapiens would have 'began' as a series of (or more properly a matrix or manifold of) mutations of 'another species'. Therefore male and female had been established long before.

I do not think it is proper to think of humans as having a specific 'beginning'. Each one of us is in essence a mutation of each of our parents. This means we are the progenitors of the next 'species' even now.

I also do not think of 'species' as an actual delineation of living things. It's a useful, logical, scientific term, yes. However, I believe the delineation to be arbitrary at some level (necessarily so) if I understand the process of evolution and genetics correctly, that is.

From what I understand the difference between one species and the next is shockingly slight at the genetic level. Especially between two different ape species, for example. So, when we consider our origin it isn't even proper to think of it as 'another species' considering an unbroken genetic line.

Anyway, plenty of males and females (and likely a percentage of in-between) before there were plenty if humans. There should not have ever been one 'human' or even just two. What we are now has been and continues to be a gradual process among an already populous 'species'.

Last edited:

Cobol

Code Jockey
It is suggested that hermaphrodites suffer an energetic cost because they maintain two reproductive systems and a cost due to the reduced number or viability of offspring which may result from accidental self-fertilization. These costs will result in a disadvantage to hermaphroditism (compared to gonochorism) when reproductive contacts are frequent. However, even in widely dispersed or sluggish organisms behavioral mechanisms may exist which increase the frequency of reproductive contacts, favoring gonochorism instead of hermaphroditism.

A genetic mutation for survival in hermaphroditic genes led to male and female sex chromosomes, with the ability to breed but spared the inbred defects of hermaphrodites, and the separate sexes flourished.