• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humanist Quiz

Princeps Eugenius

these questions have nothing to do with humanism. humanism is the idea that you value humanity, as a whole, above all else. these questions however ask about afterlife, god, universe, science, even animals and whatnot absolutely unrelated to humanism or morality. Originally humanism was part of christianity. It is very late that it developed into a secular idea. This humanism even, i assume, presupposes atheism and naturalistic science at its core which have nothing to do with valuing humans above the rest. Does it actually imply that somebody who believes in god cant be a humanist? What if that person actually believes that god commands him to be the best and nicest kind of person?

Got 39% btw.

Sees

Dragonslayer
these questions have nothing to do with humanism. humanism is the idea that you value humanity, as a whole, above all else. these questions however ask about afterlife, god, universe, science, even animals and whatnot absolutely unrelated to humanism or morality. Originally humanism was part of christianity. It is very late that it developed into a secular idea. This humanism even, i assume, presupposes atheism and naturalistic science at its core which have nothing to do with valuing humans above the rest. Does it actually imply that somebody who believes in god cant be a humanist? What if that person actually believes that god commands him to be the best and nicest kind of person?

Got 39% btw.

I think of Humanism as being based on the importance given to human knowledge and value systems. Early humanists studying previous/historical intelligentsia, philosophers, etc. I don't see being kind or good because a religious text or Divine interaction instructed it as being representative.

Princeps Eugenius

I think of Humanism as being based on the importance given to human knowledge and value systems. Early humanists studying previous/historical intelligentsia, philosophers, etc. I don't see being kind or good because a religious text or Divine interaction instructed it as being representative.
is the belief in the divine not human knowledge? is religion not a human value system? I think they are.
So if somebody believes he ought to be a kind and generous person because his faith commands him to, this person is not humanistic?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I got 44%. Sounds like I'm more Hindu/Advaita than Humanist I guess. Although the questions seemed to not include really good eastern answers (more western theism and western atheism answers).

Sees

Dragonslayer
is the belief in the divine not human knowledge? is religion not a human value system? I think they are.
So if somebody believes he ought to be a kind and generous person because his faith commands him to, this person is not humanistic?

If every value/moral system, knowledge base, etc. is seen just as humanistic as all the others then it becomes a meaningless term. In the sense if everything is ____, nothing is _____.

vaguelyhumanoid

In what respect? It isn't gathering and assembling all the answers for some kind of composite statistic.

In that it kinda equates humanism with materialist atheism. When I think "humanism" I think of an ethical viewpoint focused on the benefit and advancement of humankind as a whole, and "Humanity" set up as an ideal to aspire to. Most humanists are atheists but there are theistic humanists too (people who stress that God(s) gave humans free will, wants them to prosper and learn etc).