• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Human Sacrifice

What leads people to sacrifice human beings (Often their own children) to their Deities?

• malevolent spirits

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • gods

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • a wild human imagination gone totally bonkers

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
Long story short:

Human sacrifice is a historical can of worms and quite a taboo subject.

In the modern day world, I see of it more or less as a situation related to disturbed or mentally Ill minds getting their hands on the wrong texts and taking everything to heart.

In much more ancient times, this was a genuinely widely followed practice in various religious cultures and practiced for many different reasons depending on the religion.
While it is likely still practiced in isolated parts of the world, it is considered a criminal act (as it is literally murder) by most countries in the world.

On another note, it is intriguing how the topic/concept did resurge in horror stories (and movies, music, art). It seems that the romantic (18th century) and modern human mind is generally really afraid of the thought of being sacrificed to some tribe's (often conveyed as such) deity that may or may not even exist.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Was there a new United Nations report or something similar documenting an increase in incidence rates? I'd like to see the reference you got this impression from.
Maybe some people qualify abortion as human sacrifice.... other wise I don't know where evidence of a comeback is

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe some people qualify abortion as human sacrifice.... other wise I don't know where evidence of a comeback is

I don't either, which is why I'm curious about a reference. And if abortions are being counted in with that, well... that shows not just a terrible understanding of what human sacrifice is in a religious context, but also a terrible understanding of abortion. :sweat:

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Was there a new United Nations report or something similar documenting an increase in incidence rates? I'd like to see the reference you got this impression from.
There is neither a moral or rational distinction whatsoever between abortion and infanticide. And this is not the just Christian speaking, it the increasingly accepted position of "professional" bioethicists. Of course advocacy of "after-birth abortion" hypothetical for now, but so was the advocacy for abortion at one point.

The Romans exposed or tossed babies off bridges for the same reasons we rip apart babies in the womb today, we just don't want to be burdened with "inconvenient" lives. They're sacrificed at the altar of adult selfishness.

Last edited:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
There is neither a moral or rational distinction whatsoever between abortion and infanticide. And this is not the just Christian speaking, it the increasingly accepted position of "professional" bioethicists. Of course advocacy of "after-birth abortion" hypothetical for now, but so was the advocacy for abortion at one point.

The Romans exposed or tossed babies off bridges for the same reasons we rip apart babies in the womb today, we just don't want to be burdened with "inconvenient" lives. They're sacrificed at the altar of adult selfishness.
I sadly recognize what you are saying and my belief is that those are human beings with a soul and roughly 50 million babies are killed that way each year around the world.

It must be quite an Abomination to God

ajay0

There is a saying by Swami Vivekananda, " When superstition enters, the brain is gone."

It is nothing more than a lack of a rational culture and critical thinking.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There is neither a moral or rational distinction whatsoever between abortion and infanticide.

Sounds like a topic worthy of posting a thread about in a debate area, as there are plenty who do not agree with this sentiment. It's especially debatable when we're talking about human sacrifice in particular, which in a religious context, held a specific purpose that is entirely different than both abortion and infanticide. That's about all I have to say on that derail, as this thread isn't about abortion or infanticide, it's about human sacrifice in a religious context (unless the OP wishes to clarify otherwise, I suppose).