• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Human Sacrifice & Scapegoating, Easter's questionable morals

pearl

Even if - for the sake of discussion - I grant you that point, the crux is that, as the story goes, he took our punishment for us. As scapegoats do.

But there is another 'story', though less known but also Scriptural, one that emphasizes God's overflowing love. Jesus is God's first thought, not an after thought due to sin, not a 'scapegoat' as payment to a vengeful God for past sin, but a gracious God sharing divine life and love in solidarity with humanity. This alternative interpretation was presented in the 13th cent. , that Jesus is the reason for the existence of all creation. This has recently been expressed by a bishop of the Church; "Christ "did not die for the sins of the people as if God had needed a sacrificial offering or something like a scapegoat".

Faithofchristian

In order for any program to work it has to be in place. For many years the emphasis has been and is on punishment.

Look before the 70's there was nothing in place to rehabilitation people.so when a person got out of prison they did what they could not to want to go back to prison. All because they had to work to grow their own food and buy what they wanted out of the cafeteria, But now everything is given to them.
Where as to day, rehabilitation is not working, all because those who are in prison have no longer responsibility to do anything, As it was back during the 60's and before, That when a person went to prison they work. If a person does the Crime, they face the punishment for their Crime. And not a life of leisure while their in prison.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
But there is another 'story', though less known but also Scriptural, one that emphasizes God's overflowing love. Jesus is God's first thought, not an after thought due to sin, not a 'scapegoat' as payment to a vengeful God for past sin, but a gracious God sharing divine life and love in solidarity with humanity. This alternative interpretation was presented in the 13th cent. , that Jesus is the reason for the existence of all creation. This has recently been expressed by a bishop of the Church; "Christ "did not die for the sins of the people as if God had needed a sacrificial offering or something like a scapegoat".

I'm not really concerned about the 13th century. I'm mostly worried about the immoral ideas this story is teaching children in 2018.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
And that's why I think it best to accept the darkness within us. Trying to ignore it just makes it bottle up and explode later. Redirecting towards more constructive pursuits allows the instinct to be expressed without all the messiness.

I agree.

I think entertainment is a necessity. Role-playing and now VR (Virtual Reality)...

HeatherAnn

I'm not really concerned about the 13th century. I'm mostly worried about the immoral ideas this story is teaching children in 2018.
I imagine it depends on how it’s presented, but generally, killing and shifting blame are not good things to teach children.

I think it was a Buddhist guru who told his group of monks to imagine the possibility that Buddha never existed as a person, but Buddhist writings do exist and deciphering and applying truth from them is what matters. I wish this approach could be with Christianity, but Jesus has been made into a false god, as he even warned against.