• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Human Rights - Sad Violation

kadzbiz

You may be well aware of the devastating fires that have swept through our state and still burning in some parts. The response to the bushfire appeal has been enormous and really shows the great spirit of people to help those in need in times of tragedy, but there is also a dark side. There have been two separate arrests so far of suspected arsonists, one which caused the death of 21 people. More will surely come. The dark side of human nature reared it's ugly head when numerous hate messages, death threats, disturbing web site blogs, etc came to fruition. I can understand people's anger at "one of their own" lighting and killer fire, but still the judicial process must be followed and there is no room for vigilantiism(?), especially when the suspect is obviously mentally disturbed. The suspect can never get a fair trial now in this country IMO. The worst thing is that the family, the innocent family, of such people end up being targeted for retribution. I'm embarrassed for my own countrymen and women at the way they behave in such a contrast to their initial response. And another thing that I noticed was that the ones making the most noise appeared (and I know I'm making a judgement call here, but I'm usually close to the money) to be ones that would most likely have a criminal record themselves. How does the saying go, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"? Anyway, just venting a little.

Last edited:

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Bring em to NZ, we'll sort em out. It's what neighbours and good friends are for, right? ^_^

I'm not in the least surprised by the hate responses. Disappionted, yes, but not surprised. If you want a fair trial, it may have to wait a fair while for things to die down a little. People are still a little.. enflamed by it all, if you'll excuse the pun ;)

kadzbiz

Me too, I'm just disappointed. The mentality of people never surprises me, but it's very sad that they can be so extreme.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I'm in Melbourne tomorrow, from Sydney. I'll have a peek out the window as I fly over and see if I can see the extent of it. I've been a little absent from current affairs for a couple weeks, so I actually haven't got much of an idea of which areas exactly were effected.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Left? I would have thought on the right, seeing as I'm flying from Sydney
Maybe the plane doesn't fly the way i thought it did xD

kadzbiz

Yes, flying from Sydney to Melbourne the towns of Kinglake and Marysville will be to your left, well, just looking at google maps, I guess it depends on the exact flight path the plane would take. Just run from side to side.