• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Human genetic evolution gives way to cultural evolution and the new superorganism.

PureX

Veteran Member
Hmmm, ... circumstances dictating genetic evolution. Wait, isn't that just Darwin's theory restated? Only instead of nature dictating the course of genetic change, "culture" is doing it.

Seems to me that's a difference without a distinction.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Culture may be outcompeting genes in human evolution | Live Science

Apparently we are evolving faster than our genes leading humanity down its own evolutionary road.

Question is, what lies further down that road?

Yes, the effects of culture are faster and more powerful than than those of genetics.

But we do not have a full decoupling from genetic evolution: for example, those who are able to process certain types of modern foods better will not be as likely to get early heart attacks.

But genetics usually takes *many* generations for large scale change. Clearly, cultural change happens much faster than that.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The article covers what @Polymath257 noted as the coupling of genetic and cultural evolution:

And sometimes, cultural evolution can lead to genetic evolution.

History causes us to note that cultures are born, grow and eventually die for one cause or another. The cause could be environmental, war or cultural "old age".

Looked at from that perspective, the intense competition between nations can also be seen as competition between cultures. That's especially notable considering open cultures as nations like the US and India and closed cultures like China and Russia. (Open and closed indicating freedom of thought and all that follows from that).

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member

Vee

Premium Member

F1fan

Veteran Member
Given the way people eat and their general habits, I'd say many are on the path to hearth disease, cancer, diabetes and all sorts of metabolic issues. I wouldn't call that evolution, it's more like going backwards :(
I recently saw the movie Wally and how it depicts humans eventually is on par with this. Medicine helps keep unhealthy people alive, and that that allow genetic flaws to pass on into new generations. At some point genetic engineering will have to be a serious solution for new humans. Science will have to advance to keep up with the bad habits of humans.

Vee

Premium Member
Science will have to advance to keep up with the bad habits of humans.

Fair point, but wouldn't it be fantastic if humans learned from science and changed their habits?
There is only so much science and technology can do and the human body wasn't designed to deal with all the rubbish we're exposed to today. I think people who don't take responsibility and are waiting for technology to save them are in for a very bad surprise.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Given the way people eat and their general habits, I'd say many are on the path to hearth disease, cancer, diabetes and all sorts of metabolic issues. I wouldn't call that evolution, it's more like going backwards :(
It's a good point. We try to protect ourselves so much I think our immune system will become extremely if not dangerously weak.

I think we will essentially become dependent almost entirely on medicines to keep us alive if we keep going in this direction.

Our immune systems need a workout from time to time to stay naturally resilient.

F1fan

Veteran Member
It's a good point. We try to protect ourselves so much I think our immune system will become extremely if not dangerously weak.

I think we will essentially become dependent almost entirely on medicines to keep us alive if we keep going in this direction.

Our immune systems need a workout from time to time to stay naturally resilient.
Well one good evolved bacterial strain that antibiotics can't kill effectively would definitely wipe out a big chunk of the human population, at least the weak. That's how nature works. And if you're a theist, it's how God created the world.