• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Human Evolution Continued

linwood

I was wondering about where evolution might be taking our species at the moment.

I`ve seen this question in forums before but it usually seemed to devolve into man mutating wings and laser eyes!

I`d like to be realistic if only for a moment.
:)

I`d like to hear some ideas of possible long ranging consistent pressures in our environment/societies that could lead to new mutations in humans and what those mutations might do to alter our physiology/societies.

I think the first steps would to be to define,verify, and categorize possible environmental/societal pressures that exist now which could have the longevity to force selection for mutation.

Any guesses?

A

angellous_evangellous

I dunno, man. Since we have no threats I can only see things getting worse for us -- and I bet that's already happened in our genetics - loss of eyesight, weaker hearts, less strength. I suggest persistent decline.

On the other hand, we have the ability to overcome our shortcomings with technology.

linwood

I dunno, man. Since we have no threats I can only see things getting worse for us -- and I bet that's already happened in our genetics - loss of eyesight, weaker hearts, less strength. I suggest persistent decline.

On the other hand, we have the ability to overcome our shortcomings with technology.

Thus all the "Technology takes over the world" literature out there.

Actually Angellous thats a valid pressure that will lead to more change in our physiology/environment.

Where do you think this progression might end up at any future point in time?

Or should I just watch Blade Runner again?

;)

Rin

Skin colour will become less white and black and more brown. Not really new mutation though.

I think the main problem with evolution in humans is that we are all able to breed so there is no selective pressure surely?

linwood

Skin colour will become less white and black and more brown. Not really new mutation though.

I think the main problem with evolution in humans is that we are all able to breed so there is no selective pressure surely?

True but it`s not just the ability to breed is it?

It`s the ability to breed in a manner than garners you more resources so you can maintain the ability to breed.
(Kinda head twisting I know but bear with me:)

Diseases can alter the genetics and even the existence of certain phenotypes couldn`t they?
If that disease was concentrated upon the geographical area of one single culture?
Examples are malaria and or AIDs in Africa.

I believe these areas in Africa have a large population due to cultural norms but can they maintain that population over generations if these diseases get worse and keep leaving them weak or stillborn children?

I`m just asking.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

Thus all the "Technology takes over the world" literature out there.

Actually Angellous thats a valid pressure that will lead to more change in our physiology/environment.

Where do you think this progression might end up at any future point in time?

Or should I just watch Blade Runner again?

;)

Well, I think that we will be shorter with significant muscle and bone loss in our back, hips, and knees causing us to look like older folks at a younger age but without the calcium deposits.

That's about the extent of my imagination. Space travel - if it's ever done on a larger level - like colonizing the moon or Mars would have more devestating consequences on our development, unless they are able to replicate Earth's gravity and air density at an impressive level --- a technology that I don't think exists yet.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
I was wondering about where evolution might be taking our species at the moment.

Bear in mind that species die out. Ours will also end eventually. Hopefully not sooner than later, but we are pushing the Malthusian limits now. It is hard to see how the planet can sustain a 7-billion+ human population for long.

I`ve seen this question in forums before but it usually seemed to devolve into man mutating wings and laser eyes!
Evolution is too slow for us to keep up with environmental changes that are occurring rapidly now. As a natural phenomenon, it requires many generations to bring about significant adaptations to a changing environment. What we see happening today is a radical shift in the environment--massive amounts of CO2 in the atmosphere, rapid melting of glaciers (an important source of fresh water supply for land animals), massive alterations in the food chain, etc. We can see adaptations going on in insects and animals with very short lifespans. The changes are occurring too rapidly for us to keep up.

It is possible, if we can keep civilization going for another century, that we will be able to engineer forms of life that can live in environments that are difficult or impossible for us now. Part of the effect of a manned space program is to find ways to export our form of life to hostile environments. But genome decoding has given us a very advanced look at the mechanism that controls slow adaptations. Maybe we can speed up adaptations in some of our descendants.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Going forward, it would seem that sexual selection would be the primary force driving the evolutionary process in humans. It's difficult to speculate how this may ultimately manifest, but one possibility is that we could end up with a subset of people who, through numerous generations of sexual selection for highly desirable traits, are extraordinarily "attractive" compared to the rest of the populace.

Albeit, what is sexually selected for is different for males and females, and changes across cultures and time, so I'm not sure whether this type of scenario is possible or not.

linwood

Bear in mind that species die out. Ours will also end eventually.

I`m aware, I was just looking for possibilities that might come about before that happens or even because of that happening if it isn`t all over too quickly.

The changes are occurring too rapidly for us to keep up.

Yes and that itself is the tip of a good argument for or extinction without any further evolution.

But genome decoding has given us a very advanced look at the mechanism that controls slow adaptations. Maybe we can speed up adaptations in some of our descendants.

Genetic engineering was a pressure I thought of when thinking about posting this OP.

Thanks Copernicus.

linwood

Albeit, what is sexually selected for is different for males and females, and changes across cultures and time, so I'm not sure whether this type of scenario is possible or not.

But assuming current cultural norms do indeed maintain the longevity/consistency necessary it`s a pretty good conclusion.

The type of thing I am looking for.

Thanks stranger

linwood

Well, I think that we will be shorter with significant muscle and bone loss in our back, hips, and knees causing us to look like older folks at a younger age but without the calcium deposits.

That`s the reality I mentioned I craved in the OP.

:)

Space travel - if it's ever done on a larger level - like colonizing the moon or Mars would have more devestating consequences on our development, unless they are able to replicate Earth's gravity and air density at an impressive level --- a technology that I don't think exists yet.
That`s two posts mentioning the possible affects of a different planetary environment.

Putting your ideas together AE it seems I should watch Wall-E again instead of Blade Runner.

Very plausible and eerily probable considering the pressures mentioned in this thread.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I think it would take a major, worldwide reduction in population and resources to make a serious advancement in evolution. What those changes could be is unknown.
But as society stands today, with advanced medicine, food production, and a global economy. The stresses that help to make certain traits desirable for survivability are muted by our ability to overcome them through our own devices.
With survivability being less and less an issue, we do not seek out those traits in the ones we breed with. The female does not need a man who is faster, or stronger. Today she can use her brain to work just as hard as any potential mate. So she looks for other traits. Reliability, faithfulness, potential. The male is no longer looking to spread his seed far and wide. It will cost him dearly in child support.
I am not saying these are bad things. It is where our evolution has taken us. I just think that the more technologically advanced we become, the more we reduce the natural stresses that push evolution.

linwood

I am not saying these are bad things. It is where our evolution has taken us. I just think that the more technologically advanced we become, the more we reduce the natural stresses that push evolution.

I agree with every bit of your post but I`m looking for "any" pressures that might change us as a species physically or socially not just natural pressures.

Assuming we don`t destroy ourselves( I know I said to be realistic but we can use SOME creativity)how might these technological advances change us?
How might we choose to be changed through genetic engineering?

What do you make of the pressures and implications for mutations AE and Copernicus have made concerning off-world pressures if we were for any number of reasons required to leave this planet?

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I dunno, man. Since we have no threats I can only see things getting worse for us

Wait a second... I'm pretty sure we're doing very well threatening our own existence.

Kinda interesting thought though.... if there is nothing else left to threaten a species, would the species turn on itself as a threat? We've been a great example so far, I think. Nature balancing itself out?

Maybe I've not had enough sleep again. :p

linwood

Kinda interesting thought though.... if there is nothing else left to threaten a species, would the species turn on itself as a threat? We've been a great example so far, I think. Nature balancing itself out?

Maybe I've not had enough sleep again. :p

I think you should sleep less and keep posting because I see alot of support for the unique statement you`ve made above.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
We are evolving resistances to diseases such as heart disease and malaria.
There are even mutations out there that provide resistances to AIDS.

Most evolutionary changes are small and subtle.

wa:do

Just_me_Mike

pmo_black_panthers_bw_620_t450.jpg

Taliban_061211090205312_wideweb__300x375.jpg

sVillageKidsPlaying.jpg

Children-Praying.jpg

bush460.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: