• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huge WWII bomb found in garden

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I was thinking when I heard this story that I guess you americans must be free from this sort of incident, as reported here:-http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/4997782.stm

Huge WWII bomb found in garden

A 1,000lb (453kg) World War II bomb has been discovered in the back garden of a house in Dorset.
The unexploded German bomb was dug up in Friars Road, Christchurch, on Friday morning by builders laying the foundations for an extension.
The house has been sealed off and about 150 properties within a 200-yard (182m) exclusion zone have been evacuated.
Expert bomb disposal officers are at the scene and are checking the explosive with x-ray equipment.
The Royal Logistics Corps, who are at the scene, do not have the correct equipment to disarm the device so a team of Royal Engineers is now en route to the scene from near Stansted.
It is thought some residents have gone to stay with friends or relatives.
However, Christchurch Borough Council will arrange emergency accommodation for those who need it.

This is just litterally a few miles from where we live; hardly a month goes by without a bomb being discovered.

I was watching this on Television, and it was reall quite 'funny' in retrospect.

The builder had dug the trenches for the foundations, and came across a heavy lump of metal; he and another man tried to shift it to no avail. So they started using an angle grinder, hoping to cut off the bit that needed to be removed............

One guy suddenly said "Err, this looks a bit like a bomb,,,,,,,,":D

evearael

:eek: I'm glad no one was hurt! It is certainly not unique to the UK. I've heard some similarly funny (in the same off color sort of way) stories since my husband began serving in the military.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Yikes! And I thought that broken arrow in the middle of a swamp in Georgia (or was it SC?) was scary... at least it's not in a residential area! :eek:

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
The only casualties on American soil durring WWII were actually caused by a bomb. Japan had made a bomb factory and was launching them on balloons over the Pacific Ocean. There were many reports of people seeing them and then explosions. There was one bomb that landed (I believe in Oregon) and didn't detonate. A family was out for a picknick and saw it in the woods. The father went to town to get the police. When he was gone one of the small boys threw a rock at the bomb. It went off and killed all but one person that was there.

BFD_Zayl

kinda like the story, in vietnam 3 people found a 500lb american bomb on top of a hil, they decided to scrap the metal, they rolled it down the hill... not surprisingly it detonated, leaving a 40meter wide crater in the side of the hill, and killing everyone around... which was only the 3 guys.

standing_alone

michel said:
I was thinking when I heard this story that I guess you americans must be free from this sort of incident, as reported here:-

Yeah. Best thing my brother and I ever found were arrowheads. I feel ripped off. :p

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing.