• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huge crowds of Iraqi mourners join Gen. Soleimani’s funeral procession

Terry Sampson

Hundreds of thousands of Iraqis chanting "Death to America"
Somebody, educate me.
"Hundreds of thousands" chanting "Death to America".... Is that:
  • "a Shia thing"?
  • "a Muslim thing"?
  • "an Iraqi thing?"
  • "a Middle Eastern" thing?
  • or what kind of "thing" is it?
I wasn't alive during World War II, so I don't actually know, but I don't remember hearing or reading about "hundreds of thousands" of Americans, or any similar "number" of residents of "Western" countries, rising up in or going to a capitol to chant "Death to" anything, not even "to Hitler" or "to Germany".. Personally, I can't imagine that there is anything, enemy, or despicable person that I hate so much that I'd take to the streets to shout in unison with "10", "100", "1000", much less "1,000s" of people, "Death to him, her, it", not even to Trump. Just seems to me like that's an over-the-top, mentally-unbalanced, thing to do.

Am I missing something in life by not trying it once?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
then you are unaware of the extent of the evil that America is.

Terry Sampson

If your "you" is me, get a grip, kid. I served in the U.S. Navy, on shore-duty, in Vietnam and Greece, and I've traveled through Italy, Greece, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India. I am well-acquainted with anti-American sentiment and rational and reasonable arguments for that sentiment. "Hundreds of thousands" chanting "Death to America" does indeed express anti-American sentiment. But I simply fail to see the logic or reasonableness in uninhibited, un-self-restrained chanting. It's pure venting period, and not the constructive kind.

Even when I mock the pro-Trumpers with my large, bold red-letter "Lock him up" rants, I know how silly I am being. Do you think "hundreds of thousands" of Iraqis chanting "Death to America" can see how silly they are being? I think not.

Of course, if your "you" isn't me, ignore this post.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yeah? And?
That may lead to a bigger war with the middle east, something the world does not need.
America would maybe be better off by not starting yet another war? And yes it would be America who starts it since they killed Soleimani first.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If your "you" is me, get a grip, kid. I served in the U.S. Navy, on shore-duty, in Vietnam and Greece, and I've traveled through Italy, Greece, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India. I am well-acquainted with anti-American sentiment and rational and reasonable arguments for that sentiment. "Hundreds of thousands" chanting "Death to America" does indeed express anti-American sentiment. But I simply fail to see the logic or reasonableness in uninhibited, un-self-restrained chanting. It's pure venting period, and not the constructive kind.

Even when I mock the pro-Trumpers with my large, bold red-letter "Lock him up" rants, I know how silly I am being. Do you think "hundreds of thousands" of Iraqs chanting "Death to America" can see how silly they are being.

We should also recognize that literal translations are sometimes inaccurate.
I once heard an interview with someone who rode in a cab in Iranian.
Traffic slowed, & the cabbie yelled "Death to traffic jams!".
I leaned a little Russian once. I remember one pithy
phrase which was the Russian equivalent of "meh", but
the literal translation into English could get one beaten up.

Terry Sampson

We should also recognize that literal translations are sometimes inaccurate.
You're not going Baha'i on me, are you?

Traffic slowed, & the cabbie yelled "Death to traffic jams!".
Cool. I'd have chuckled if my cabbie said that or just said: 'F-ing traffic jams". But "hundreds of thousands" of people all chanting "f-ing traffic jams" in Washington D.C.??? You don't think all those folks would be in need of a chill-pill? Surely the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis weren't all related to Soleiman, were they? Not even American Blacks--and God knows they have as many reasons to hate White America as anybody could have--not even American Blacks rally by the hundreds of thousands in some big city's streets to chant "F-ing Whites", much less "Death to Whites".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're not going Baha'i on me, are you?
Very little risk of that.
I regularly morph between atheism, agnosticism, Boknonoism,
Revoltifarianism, & Born Again Pedestrianism. I can handle no more.
Cool. I'd have chuckled if my cabbie said that or just said: 'F-ing traffic jams". But "hundreds of thousands" of people all chanting "f-ing traffic jams" in Washington D.C.??? You don't think all those folks would be in need of a chill-pill? Surely the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis weren't all related to Soleiman, were they? Not even American Blacks--and God knows they have as many reasons to hate White America as anybody could have--not even American Blacks rally by the hundreds of thousands in some big city's streets to chant "F-ing Whites", much less "Death to Whites".
Driving does cause some people to need chill pills.

Wandering Monk

Hundreds of thousands of Iraqis chanting "Death to America" have joined the funeral procession for Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani and Iraqi anti-terror forces chief Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis in Baghdad.

The US assassination of the two commanders at Baghdad airport in the early hours of Friday has triggered a wave of rage among Iranians and Iraqis, and forged an unprecedented unity with vociferous calls for revenge.

Both Soleimani and Muhandis were popular figureheads in helping squelch an ominous rise of Daesh which once came as close as 30 km to Baghdad, while the US withdrew troops from Iraq and looked on.

Images of the Iranian commander tagging along with Iraqi fighters at frontlines as the ferocious battle against Daesh terrorists went on are endearingly etched in the minds of many Iraqis.

Their massive turnout in Saturday's funeral is both a testimony to Soleimani's popularity among many Iraqis and a message to the US which made its stay in the Arab country more unwelcome with the extrajudicial killing, observers say.

In all, 10 people -- five Iraqis and five Iranians -- were killed in Friday morning's US strike on their motorcade just outside Baghdad airport as Soleimani's flight arrived from Syria, leading to speculations that Israeli intelligence played a role.

On Saturday, Iraq's Prime Minister Adel Abdel Mahdi joined Muhandis associate Hadi al-Ameri, senior cleric Ammar al-Hakim and other important figures in a large crowd accompanying the coffins.

Ameri, who has been named as the successor to Muhandis, and many other Iraqi leaders have called on all factions in Iraq to unite and expel foreign troops.

"We call on all national forces to unify their stance in order to expel foreign troops whose presence has become pointless in Iraq," Ameri told national television on Friday.

The cortege set off around Kadhimiya, a pilgrimage district of Baghdad, before heading to the Green Zone government and diplomatic district where a state funeral was to be held attended by top dignitaries.

The convoy snaked its way though a sea of black-clad mourners, some of whom carried portraits of Iran's Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei.

The bodies of the Iranians will then be flown on Saturday evening to Iran, which has declared three days of mourning for Gen. Soleimani. His funeral is to be held on Tuesday in his hometown of Kerman in central Iran.

Funeral processions would also be held on Saturday in the holy cities of Karbala and Najaf.

The Pentagon said in a statement on Friday that President Donald Trump had ordered the US military to assassinate the top Iranian commander.

Iran has warned that “harsh revenge" is waiting for the US following the strike that killed the leader of the Quds Force.

PressTV

Imagine that! Iranians mourning the loss of such a noble figure?

Terry Sampson

Driving does cause some people to need chill pills.
Tell me about it. I don't make right turns unless the light I'm looking at is green or yellow, even when I can make a lawful right turn during a red light.
I pulled up to the line at a corner, when the light that I was facing was red, and stopped while my right turn signal was signaling my intention to turn right.
I heard a couple of loud honks behind and saw that it was a local bus driver who wanted me to make the turn and move on out of his way. I got so annoyed, I turned off my engine, got out my car, and went right up in front him. He hollers to me: You can make a right turn on a red signal, idiot. I hollered back: Yeah, I know, but there ain't no GD law that says I have to. Know what he says to me? He hollers: This ain't Mexico.

I nearly had a stroke. I flipped him off, got back in my car, and made my turn on a yellow light. Then I reported him to the Transit authority and accused him of racism, poor vision, and low intelligence. I might pass for being a Mexican on a dark street corner at midnight, but it was midday, the sun was shining off my forehead, and I was speaking the President's English. If I had had a chill-pill, I'd have left my crow-bar in the car. :eek::D

Good-Ole-Rebel

Iran doesn't need to fight the U.S. upon Persian land. Because the U.S. and other stupid western nations allow Islam to enter their country, Iran has a fort established where every Mosque exists in the U.S.

They have a long arm and the West keeps ignoring it.

We let the enemy in, and then all are just so 'shocked' when the inevitable happens.

Until the West comes to their senses and recognize that Islam is the enemy, we will lose.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Tell me about it. I don't make right turns unless the light I'm looking at is green or yellow, even when I can make a lawful right turn during a red light.
I pulled up to the line at a corner, when the light that I was facing was red, and stopped while my right turn signal was signaling my intention to turn right.
I heard a couple of loud honks behind and saw that it was a local bus driver who wanted me to make the turn and move on out of his way. I got so annoyed, I turned off my engine, got out my car, and went right up in front him. He hollers to me: You can make a right turn on a red signal, idiot. I hollered back: Yeah, I know, but there ain't no GD law that says I have to. Know what he says to me? He hollers: This ain't Mexico.

I nearly had a stroke. I flipped him off, got back in my car, and made my turn on a yellow light. Then I reported him to the Transit authority and accused him of racism, poor vision, and low intelligence. I might pass for being a Mexican on a dark street corner at midnight, but it was midday, the sun was shining off my forehead, and I was speaking the President's English. If I had had a chill-pill, I'd have left my crow-bar in the car. :eek::D
Your English is pretty good for a Mexican.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Even when I mock the pro-Trumpers with my large, bold red-letter "Lock him up" rants, I know how silly I am being. Do you think "hundreds of thousands" of Iraqis chanting "Death to America" can see how silly they are being? I think not.

Another "squid" on here? There goes the neighborhood...

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Painting America "evil" as a whole is as dumb as painting Iran or muslims "evil" as a whole.
Ideas, actions, and individuals could be labelled "evil" based on their intensions.

Terry Sampson

Another "squid" on here? There goes the neighborhood...
The difference between you and me is: During my 3 yrs and 9 mos. of service, the only time I was on a ship in water, is when a friend was stationed on the U.S.S. Forrestall which pulled into Port in Athens Greece. I met him in Athens and he got me on board, gave me a short tour, and then we both returned to the city to have some drinks together. I think I was on the ship for about 3 to 4 hours, max, and that was the extent of my "sea-time". :cool: