• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huge crowds of Iraqi mourners join Gen. Soleimani’s funeral procession

mojtaba

Hundreds of thousands of Iraqis chanting "Death to America" have joined the funeral procession for Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani and Iraqi anti-terror forces chief Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis in Baghdad.

The US assassination of the two commanders at Baghdad airport in the early hours of Friday has triggered a wave of rage among Iranians and Iraqis, and forged an unprecedented unity with vociferous calls for revenge.

Both Soleimani and Muhandis were popular figureheads in helping squelch an ominous rise of Daesh which once came as close as 30 km to Baghdad, while the US withdrew troops from Iraq and looked on.

Images of the Iranian commander tagging along with Iraqi fighters at frontlines as the ferocious battle against Daesh terrorists went on are endearingly etched in the minds of many Iraqis.

Their massive turnout in Saturday's funeral is both a testimony to Soleimani's popularity among many Iraqis and a message to the US which made its stay in the Arab country more unwelcome with the extrajudicial killing, observers say.

In all, 10 people -- five Iraqis and five Iranians -- were killed in Friday morning's US strike on their motorcade just outside Baghdad airport as Soleimani's flight arrived from Syria, leading to speculations that Israeli intelligence played a role.

On Saturday, Iraq's Prime Minister Adel Abdel Mahdi joined Muhandis associate Hadi al-Ameri, senior cleric Ammar al-Hakim and other important figures in a large crowd accompanying the coffins.

Ameri, who has been named as the successor to Muhandis, and many other Iraqi leaders have called on all factions in Iraq to unite and expel foreign troops.

"We call on all national forces to unify their stance in order to expel foreign troops whose presence has become pointless in Iraq," Ameri told national television on Friday.

The cortege set off around Kadhimiya, a pilgrimage district of Baghdad, before heading to the Green Zone government and diplomatic district where a state funeral was to be held attended by top dignitaries.

The convoy snaked its way though a sea of black-clad mourners, some of whom carried portraits of Iran's Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei.

The bodies of the Iranians will then be flown on Saturday evening to Iran, which has declared three days of mourning for Gen. Soleimani. His funeral is to be held on Tuesday in his hometown of Kerman in central Iran.

Funeral processions would also be held on Saturday in the holy cities of Karbala and Najaf.

The Pentagon said in a statement on Friday that President Donald Trump had ordered the US military to assassinate the top Iranian commander.

Iran has warned that “harsh revenge" is waiting for the US following the strike that killed the leader of the Quds Force.

PressTV

Cooky

Veteran Member
I hope the Iraqis are to too, too, mad about this.

giphy-4.gif

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Actually if the Government appoints him anti terror chief that does make him a Government official, no matter what the war mongering Americans think.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
A self-proclaimed title does not magically make him a government official. He has been a designated terrorist since the 80s.
Qassim Soleimani, was an Iranian major general in the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and, from 1998 until his death, commander of its Quds Force.

I would not say he were self-proclaimed when he was a Major General, that would say he was a high ranking military person. Not a self-proclaimed offical

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Hundreds of thousands of Iraqis chanting "Death to America" have joined the funeral procession for Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani and Iraqi anti-terror forces chief Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis in Baghdad.

The US assassination of the two commanders at Baghdad airport in the early hours of Friday has triggered a wave of rage among Iranians and Iraqis, and forged an unprecedented unity with vociferous calls for revenge.

Both Soleimani and Muhandis were popular figureheads in helping squelch an ominous rise of Daesh which once came as close as 30 km to Baghdad, while the US withdrew troops from Iraq and looked on.

Images of the Iranian commander tagging along with Iraqi fighters at frontlines as the ferocious battle against Daesh terrorists went on are endearingly etched in the minds of many Iraqis.

Their massive turnout in Saturday's funeral is both a testimony to Soleimani's popularity among many Iraqis and a message to the US which made its stay in the Arab country more unwelcome with the extrajudicial killing, observers say.

In all, 10 people -- five Iraqis and five Iranians -- were killed in Friday morning's US strike on their motorcade just outside Baghdad airport as Soleimani's flight arrived from Syria, leading to speculations that Israeli intelligence played a role.

On Saturday, Iraq's Prime Minister Adel Abdel Mahdi joined Muhandis associate Hadi al-Ameri, senior cleric Ammar al-Hakim and other important figures in a large crowd accompanying the coffins.

Ameri, who has been named as the successor to Muhandis, and many other Iraqi leaders have called on all factions in Iraq to unite and expel foreign troops.

"We call on all national forces to unify their stance in order to expel foreign troops whose presence has become pointless in Iraq," Ameri told national television on Friday.

The cortege set off around Kadhimiya, a pilgrimage district of Baghdad, before heading to the Green Zone government and diplomatic district where a state funeral was to be held attended by top dignitaries.

The convoy snaked its way though a sea of black-clad mourners, some of whom carried portraits of Iran's Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei.

The bodies of the Iranians will then be flown on Saturday evening to Iran, which has declared three days of mourning for Gen. Soleimani. His funeral is to be held on Tuesday in his hometown of Kerman in central Iran.

Funeral processions would also be held on Saturday in the holy cities of Karbala and Najaf.

The Pentagon said in a statement on Friday that President Donald Trump had ordered the US military to assassinate the top Iranian commander.

Iran has warned that “harsh revenge" is waiting for the US following the strike that killed the leader of the Quds Force.

PressTV

Yeah? And?

Shad

Veteran Member
Actually if the Government appoints him anti terror chief that does make him a Government official, no matter what the war mongering Americans think.

They didn't appoint him. They sponsored his militia. Big difference. Mind you a militia he led after he returned from Iran due to fleeing Iraq from criminal and terrorist charges.

Shad

Veteran Member
Qassim Soleimani, was an Iranian major general in the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and, from 1998 until his death, commander of its Quds Force.

Read the quote again. I quoted a specific part which did not include Soleimani at all. Now actually read what you reply to.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

PressTV

One thing I do agree with is that US troops should be withdrawn. We have no real reason to be there anymore. If our numerous proxies and puppets can't handle their own business without constant intervention by US forces, then they're not worth propping up anymore. We just can't afford this anymore.

To be honest, I've never heard of this general before this week. All of these recent events seemed to happen so suddenly, and now it appears to be escalating.

I don't know what kind of revenge the Iranians might be plotting, but I read that NY, LA, and other cities have heightened alerts.

Shad

Veteran Member
One thing I do agree with is that US troops should be withdrawn. We have no real reason to be there anymore. If our numerous proxies and puppets can't handle their own business without constant intervention by US forces, then they're not worth propping up anymore.

Both the left and the right would freak out if this happened. The US has only one win scenario which involves staying until the nation is stable on it's own.

We just can't afford this anymore.

Start a tab?

To be honest, I've never heard of this general before this week. All of these recent events seemed to happen so suddenly, and now it appears to be escalating.

He has been in the news for years. US cable media is crap that is why many have no idea who he was.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
American troops are in Iraq with the permission of their Government, look for that permission to be revoked very soon!!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Both the left and the right would freak out if this happened. The US has only one win scenario which involves staying until the nation is stable on it's own.

Another possibility is that we could pull out of the hot areas and quarantine the region. We could stand by to keep the conflict from spreading, but if the people within Syria or Iraq are hellbent on killing each other, then I don't see why we should risk American lives to stop them. It's their fight. Let them fight.

These nations will never be stable on their own. There will always be something, some sort of crisis. For as long as I've been alive, politicians and world leaders keep talking about plans and proposals for "peace in the Middle East," but it's a lost cause.

Start a tab?

We've got a pretty large tab already.

He has been in the news for years. US cable media is crap that is why many have no idea who he was.

Well, it's possible I may have come across his name before but forgot. It happens.

Shad

Veteran Member
Another possibility is that we could pull out of the hot areas and quarantine the region.

Same result. Both the left and the right would freak out.

We could stand by to keep the conflict from spreading

This requires the opposite of what you are suggesting. It requires forces in the area to contain X from spreading.

but if the people within Syria or Iraq are hellbent on killing each other, then I don't see why we should risk American lives to stop them. It's their fight. Let them fight.

Which would undermine your proposal.

These nations will never be stable on their own.

Maybe, maybe not.

There will always be something, some sort of crisis.

Assertion

For as long as I've been alive, politicians and world leaders keep talking about plans and proposals for "peace in the Middle East," but it's a lost cause.

Sure. As many nations are not interested in "peace" Beside the phrase to me is just rhetoric for the masses.

We've got a pretty large tab already.

I mean tab as in charging states and the UN for policing action. After all most nations in the UN contribute next to nothing beside hot air from their representatives.

Well, it's possible I may have come across his name before but forgot. It happens.

Probably. The issue with the media is that under now he name has not been front page news as it was never linked to Trump. Trump sells.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yeah? And?
The US is evacuating Americans from Iraq. The military knows some possible "ands". "Sow the wind. Reap the whirlwind". The only question now is how Iran (and possibly Iraq) will retaliate. There are many soft American targets cyber, human and military.

From what I read, I would lean to the "revenge is a dish best served cold" response involving detailed planning with no immediate timetable. But I'm not betting the farm on this possibility.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Read the quote again. I quoted a specific part which did not include Soleimani at all. Now actually read what you reply to.
I did answer your post, but i added where you had not put enough info to actually have case. Yes He may have done wrong in his time. But at least he was a high ranking military person and not a hoodlum

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The US is evacuating Americans from Iraq. The military knows some possible "ands". "Sow the wind. Reap the whirlwind". The only question now is how Iran (and possibly Iraq) will retaliate. There are many soft American targets cyber, human and military.

From what I read, I would lean to the "revenge is a dish best served cold" response involving detailed planning with no immediate timetable. But I'm not betting the farm on this possibility.

From what I have read there was no love lost in Irag for the two Iranian targets eliminated at the Baghdad airport.