• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huckabee And His "Mormon" Statements

zookeeper

When I think government health care, I think about trying to figure out what is wrong with me and actually fixing it without shoveling thousands of dollars out of my own pocket.

That money has to come out of somebody's pocket. Whose pocket? My husband has Canadian friends who have had to come to the states for needed surgery after finding it would take years of waiting in Canada.

Bishka

Veteran Member
That money has to come out of somebody's pocket. Whose pocket? My husband has Canadian friends who have had to come to the states for needed surgery after finding it would take years of waiting in Canada.

Citizens.

Shouldn't we as Christians and Latter-day Saints help one another and be charitable? Is it so wrong for it to come out of taxes?

nutshell

Who says what America comes up with has to be like Canada's plan?:shrug:

zookeeper

Citizens.

Shouldn't we as Christians and Latter-day Saints help one another and be charitable? Is it so wrong for it to come out of taxes?

I work to keep myself healthy. I have a health savings plans so that the less I need it the less I spend. I don't want my taxes to increase to take care of other people. And yes, I want to be charitable. I have been charitable. But charity is not charity when forced by the government.

nutshell

I work to keep myself healthy. I have a health savings plans so that the less I need it the less I spend. I don't want my taxes to increase to take care of other people. And yes, I want to be charitable. I have been charitable. But charity is not charity when forced by the government.

Not everyone is as fortunate as you.

I guess we should just kick the less fortunate out of the temple, right?

That's what your mindset reminds of.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
But charity is not charity when forced by the government.

I agree. (Since I'm in the LDS section, I'd like to bring in a bit of doctrine.) We are absolutely supposed to help the poor and needy. However, as you said, forced charity sounds a little like Satan's plan of forced goodness. Loss of agency. Forcing people to do right. This was the concern by the Church leadership, when government welfare was started. The Church's welfare program is entirely voluntary. No one is forced to donate. Again, we will be held accountable if we neglect the needy, but must it be forced?
They say America is the most generous nation on earth. And there a lot of people who are of the mentality that the government owes them food, housing, employment, education, old-age retirement and medical care. This wasn't in the plan when our constitution was written. We were to be free, and the government's job was to maintain that freedom. We were to have opportunity to reach our goals and find happiness however we could, within reasonable legal and moral limits.

jonny

So, do you force the insurance companies to insure anyone who applies? Or should people who have been sick in the past pay exorbitant fees? Or are you one of those people who says "screw you" if you can't get insurance?

Honestly, I don't like the idea of health insurance, but if medical costs are going to be as high as they are, we either need government regulation or assistance. The current system isn't working.

BTW, none of the candidates, even on the Democratic side, are proposing anything like Europe or Canada's systems. People keep calling them "socialized medicine," but I think it's a misleading description.

jonny

I agree. (Since I'm in the LDS section, I'd like to bring in a bit of doctrine.) We are absolutely supposed to help the poor and needy. However, as you said, forced charity sounds a little like Satan's plan of forced goodness. Loss of agency. Forcing people to do right. This was the concern by the Church leadership, when government welfare was started. The Church's welfare program is entirely voluntary. No one is forced to donate. Again, we will be held accountable if we neglect the needy, but must it be forced?
They say America is the most generous nation on earth. And there a lot of people who are of the mentality that the government owes them food, housing, employment, education, old-age retirement and medical care. This wasn't in the plan when our constitution was written. We were to be free, and the government's job was to maintain that freedom. We were to have opportunity to reach our goals and find happiness however we could, within reasonable legal and moral limits.

The constitution assumes that the people following it are moral.

I like Obama's proposal and think it fits with how the church does things. He says that if students are willing to perform civil service that it will help them pay for school. I'm more than willing to pay taxes for programs like these.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
I'd favor a plan wherein the government helps pay for medical school in exchange for donated time by the doctors receiving the education. They could have clinics staffed by these doctors for those patients who can't afford medical care. Is this happening anywhere?

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
So, do you force the insurance companies to insure anyone who applies? Or should people who have been sick in the past pay exorbitant fees? Or are you one of those people who says "screw you" if you can't get insurance?

Honestly, I don't like the idea of health insurance, but if medical costs are going to be as high as they are, we either need government regulation or assistance. The current system isn't working.

BTW, none of the candidates, even on the Democratic side, are proposing anything like Europe or Canada's systems. People keep calling them "socialized medicine," but I think it's a misleading description.

"Prior conditions" are indeed a problem when you're self-employeed. I've know of people adviced by their doctor to lie on the insurance application. This definately needs a solution but I'm just not sure government involvement is it.

Bishka

Veteran Member

Not everyone is as healthy as you.

Bishka

Veteran Member
"Prior conditions" are indeed a problem when you're self-employeed. I've know of people adviced by their doctor to lie on the insurance application. This definately needs a solution but I'm just not sure government involvement is it.

So we won't come up with a solution and the millions of people who don't have insurance or any sort of coverage and need it just have to wait? You know in many health situations, waiting kills.

despi

"Prior conditions" are indeed a problem when you're self-employeed.

My husband and I find we are "stuck" in this kind of situation. We have been self-employed for over 25 years, and have paid our own health insurance coverage all that time. Our premiums are getting so high we can barely afford them. We shopped around last year for cheaper coverage, but found that no one wants to write a new policy on my husband as he has a pre-existing condition. We currently pay $1150/month for coverage for the both of us....that comes to $13,800/yr....unbelievable and unaffordable based on our income!!! :(

I am for affordable health care verses a mandated universal health care system. I believe most people who have "no coverage", or are paying for their own health care would be willing to pay a premium based on their income.

As far as voting for Huckabee, no way!!! I haven't come to a decision on who I am going to vote for.

jonny

So, what's the solution? The free market won't give many people insurance because its a bad investment. If you're depending on the market to solve this problem, it won't happen.

Here's a hint: you're paying for these people already. Why not allow them to buy insurance from the government and pay some of these costs themselves?

jonny

My husband and I find we are "stuck" in this kind of situation. We have been self-employed for over 25 years, and have paid our own health insurance coverage all that time. Our premiums are getting so high we can barely afford them. We shopped around last year for cheaper coverage, but found that no one wants to write a new policy on my husband as he has a pre-existing condition. We currently pay $1150/month for coverage for the both of us....that comes to $13,800/yr....unbelievable and unaffordable based on our income!!! :(

I am for affordable health care verses a mandated universal health care system. I believe most people who have "no coverage", or are paying for their own health care would be willing to pay a premium based on their income.

As far as voting for Huckabee, no way!!! I haven't come to a decision on who I am going to vote for.

I went for two years with no insurance. My pre-existing condition: a two-hour side ache that the doctor said was probably a gall stone. I wasn't on any medication. I wasn't seeing a doctor for anything else. I hadn't had the side ache more than once.

zookeeper

Not everyone is as healthy as you.

Of course, that's why I don't want to pay for other's health problems. And when I see needed help for those around me I will be charitable as I see fit. My daughter has some health problems that require medications and monitoring that we have to "shop around" to find the best and most affordable care. So I do see the need for change. But I cringe when I think of a government take-over that would take away the competition for good care.

despi

I went for two years with no insurance. My pre-existing condition: a two-hour side ache that the doctor said was probably a gall stone. I wasn't on any medication. I wasn't seeing a doctor for anything else. I hadn't had the side ache more than once.

I know jonny, something needs to be done....even the doctor's hands are tied as to the medication they may prescribe for their patients, or test they want to perform, or surgery that may need to be done. The list goes on and on. Insurance companies have too much power.

My son had a similar experience as yours. He was having a routine physical when something showed up in his blood work. The doctor had more test performed and it proved to be negative. Some months later, he applied for insurance with a different company (premium was cheaper), and was denied coverage just because he was tested for a particular problem he didn't even had, nor did he even have any symptoms.

Our "public" servants (congressmen, etc) are faring a lot better than the public who vote them in office when it comes to benefits! Whose vote is it that decides their benefits?

I'm liking the idea of Sola'lor's Mormon country after all!:yes:

Smoke

Done here.
I'd favor a plan wherein the government helps pay for medical school in exchange for donated time by the doctors receiving the education. They could have clinics staffed by these doctors for those patients who can't afford medical care. Is this happening anywhere?
It already happens to some extent. My cousin went to medical school with the understanding that he'd have to work seven years on an Indian reservation in return. But more often, medical students just take out huge loans.