• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huckabee And His "Mormon" Statements

silvermoon383

The area where the State of Deseret existed had been annexed by the US Government. That's why they went from total independence to seeking statehood, they knew that statehood was the only option after that.

jonny

The area where the State of Deseret existed had been annexed by the US Government. That's why they went from total independence to seeking statehood, they knew that statehood was the only option after that.

I think we should have put up a bigger fight. Our farmers were able to fend off the British army. I think that our wives could have fought off the American army.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
So, do you think that the tax increase you'd get to pay for a national health care system would be more than the money you shell out for your employee's health care?

I honestly don't think a national healthcare system would work. Look at Canada. And we're a much bigger country (population) which makes it even more unlikely.

I really don't understand though, if you think about it, why employers should have to pay it. They don't pay for employee's car insurance. I do know it started with some kind of wage freeze years ago. It's very difficult to pay for it and dental insurance is not even a possibility for us. Not all employers are swimming in dough.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I honestly don't think a national healthcare system would work. Look at Canada. And we're a much bigger country (population) which makes it even more unlikely.

I really don't understand though, if you think about it, why employers should have to pay it. They don't pay for employee's car insurance. I do know it started with some kind of wage freeze years ago. It's very difficult to pay for it and dental insurance is not even a possibility for us. Not all employers are swimming in dough.

From what I understand, it is not something that just employers would pay. It would be spread out amongst everyone. All who pay taxes would contribute. So instead of paying high insurance rates for your personal insurance and towards any employee health care program you would have, you would just have a small increase in the tax you pay and that would be it.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
From what I understand, it is not something that just employers would pay. It would be spread out amongst everyone. All who pay taxes would contribute. So instead of paying high insurance rates for your personal insurance and towards any employee health care program you would have, you would just have a small increase in the tax you pay and that would be it.

I'm no expert, but the opinions of those who say it won't work make sense to me. It would be too huge and too expensive and the quality of care would be less. We already have social health care called medicare/medicaid. I'd rather have my own. I'd rather see malpractice suits capped to lower medical costs.
The government does not owe us health care. It owes us protection from our enemies and a few other basics. Then it needs to get out of the way and let us provide for ourselves.

Smoke

Done here.
I honestly don't think a national healthcare system would work. Look at Canada.
Yes, look at Canada, and at other countries with universal coverage. It doesn't work well enough to make everybody happy about it all the time, but it works much better than our system. See here.

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
I wouldn't vote for Huckabee if he was the only candidate. I'm to the point that I'm seriously considering starting my own country.
Are you sure you are not a chick? Your avatar is gorgeous: hamster : Anyway I agree with you. The Huckster must go the way of Dukakis.:run:

Bishka

Veteran Member
Yes, look at Canada, and at other countries with universal coverage. It doesn't work well enough to make everybody happy about it all the time, but it works much better than our system. See here.

Amen.

Zippy, do you realize how many US citizens do not have health coverage?

Starfish

Please no sarcasm

Have you talked with someone living in a country that provides this? Someone who has experience poor health and medical needs?
I'd like to hear from some Canadians, or someone from another country. I just hear about high taxes and long waits for treatment.

It's interesting that Romney, the only candidate who actually implemented a healthcare program, rather that just talking about it, didn't get the votes.

But again, when you really think about it, why is it the government's responsibility?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Have you talked with someone living in a country that provides this? Someone who has experience poor health and medical needs?
I'd like to hear from some Canadians, or someone from another country. I just hear about high taxes and long waits for treatment.

It's interesting that Romney, the only candidate who actually implemented a healthcare program, rather that just talking about it, didn't get the votes.

But again, when you really think about it, why is it the government's responsibility?
I would have agreed with you, Starfish, until my son insisted I watch Michael Moore's "Sicko." Although Michael Moor himself makes me major "sicko," this documentary opened my eyes to a whole different perspective on the health care issues this country is facing. I would highly recommend it.

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
Amen.

Zippy, do you realize how many US citizens do not have health coverage?
Yes. I also realize that many US Citizens don't want health coverage for whatever reason. Poverty or inability to afford it is only a small part of the puzzle. The free market is the best way IMO to achieve more health coverage among the people. I do not believe in socialized medicine. It is a way for the government to literally tell you whether or not you can have what health care and when. Ultimately, that can be who lives and who dies. I can't support government supported health care. I work in the government and these programs such as Medicaid and SSI. They are already running on fumes. It is not long until they will be out of gas. Something else is needed to fix what we have. We cannot take on more socialized medicine or we will go bankrupt literally.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Yes. I also realize that many US Citizens don't wnt health coverage for whatever reason.

It's not a matter of want. It's a matter of finances. Most of the people who do not have cannot afford it. Socialized medicine will make sure that all the people get health care, no matter how much they make.

I haven't heard of any socizlized health cares telling their patients that they could live or die or choose when these patients do.

Please provide proof of that absurd statement.

On a side note, I am one of the millions that cannot afford health care and no insurance will cover me.

You know what's wrong me?

I have arthritis, bipolar disorder, insulin resistance, ADD, tremors, Reynaud's Phenomena, etc. etc.

This doesn't even count yearly dentist and physician visits to make sure I'm alright. How am I supposed to get better when I have no coverage and it costs anywhere from $100-$400 for each visit? Let me remind you, I currently make only $7.76.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Are you sure you are not a chick? Your avatar is gorgeous: hamster : Anyway I agree with you. The Huckster must go the way of Dukakis.:run:

Hahaha!

Yes, I'm absolutely sure. I'm 100% male. I like using a hot chick for my avatar insures I have something nice to look at everytime I post.

So where will we start our new country?

Smoke

Done here.
I didn't say it was perfect, just that it's far better than our system.

When you really think about it, why is anything the government's responsibility? Why should the government provide for defense, or roads, or schools? Because the government can do it better than individuals can, and can benefit more people for less money. It's always interesting to me that so many people can believe so fervently that the government has the right to tell me whom I can marry, and believe equally fervently that making sure people get adequate healthcare is none of the government's business.

jonny

The problem I see is that it is practically impossible for an individual to get insurance. When I was uninsured, I tried to get my own insurance and was denied over and over again because I had gone to a doctor ONCE in the last couple years. I had a damn gall stone and went to get it checked out. Nothing had happened since, and I was perfectly healthy. Yet, because I had a "preexisting condition," I couldn't get insurance.

It was pretty frustrating.

zookeeper

It sounded like Romney had provided everyone in Massachusetts with affordable, available health care, without a government take-over. I'd like my state to consider that and therefore keep quality health care intact. When I think of government health care I think of waiting at the DMV forever just to get some assistance!

Bishka

Veteran Member
It sounded like Romney had provided everyone in Massachusetts with affordable, available health care, without a government take-over. I'd like my state to consider that and therefore keep quality health care intact. When I think of government health care I think of waiting at the DMV forever just to get some assistance!

When I think government health care, I think about trying to figure out what is wrong with me and actually fixing it without shoveling thousands of dollars out of my own pocket.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
***MOD POST***

Just a friendly FYI, y'all. Please be aware of the location of this thread in LDS DIR.
To quote from our FAQ page:

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums
The DIR forums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. Only posts that comply with the tenets or spirit of that Dir are permitted. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

Informally, now........it's just that this is looking like it's turning into a debate over government health care systems. :)

We now return you to regular programming: Huckabee and His "Mormon" Statements.​

Peace,
Mystic​

nutshell

Yes. I also realize that many US Citizens don't want health coverage for whatever reason. Poverty or inability to afford it is only a small part of the puzzle. The free market is the best way IMO to achieve more health coverage among the people. I do not believe in socialized medicine. It is a way for the government to literally tell you whether or not you can have what health care and when. Ultimately, that can be who lives and who dies. I can't support government supported health care. I work in the government and these programs such as Medicaid and SSI. They are already running on fumes. It is not long until they will be out of gas. Something else is needed to fix what we have. We cannot take on more socialized medicine or we will go bankrupt literally.

The system we have now determines who lives and who dies.

If we can afford billions in Iraq, we can afford national healthcare.