• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huckabee And His "Mormon" Statements

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
The only thing I have known him to say was that Jesus-Satan-brothers comment. I'm willing to overlook that.
However, his nomination is not likely, so my job now is to get myself to vote for McCain. Not an easy task. Being from Oregon, my vote in the primaries hardly matters.

nutshell

The only thing I have known him to say was that Jesus-Satan-brothers comment. I'm willing to overlook that.
However, his nomination is not likely, so my job now is to get myself to vote for McCain. Not an easy task. Being from Oregon, my vote in the primaries hardly matters.

Why do you need to "get yourself" to vote for McCain. Have you gandered at the other side at all?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I think Huck also said something about Mormons believed that Christ and the devil were brothers, which Mitt denied. I could have sworn that I read in this forum that Mormons do indeed believe that. Could be wrong. Would i vote for Uncle Huck? Seeing I'm a convicted felon, :eek: I can't vote for anyone. BooHoo.:sad4:

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
I think Huck also said something about Mormons believed that Christ and the devil were brothers, which Mitt denied. I could have sworn that I read in this forum that Mormons do indeed believe that. Could be wrong. Would i vote for Uncle Huck? Seeing I'm a convicted felon, :eek: I can't vote for anyone. BooHoo.:sad4:
When I see the Huckster I just don't feel right. Like hunting with Dick Cheney(not that I don't like the man Cheney), but you know what I mean. I have that funny feeling when I see Huckabee. I feel like:run:

jonny

Do you mean have I considered the Democrats? No. I'm a stauch conservative.

McCain isn't much more conservative than Obama. Neither one wants to build the border wall (my #1 wish), so I don't see a difference. I'd rather vote for Obama and then try again in 2012. Also, I think that the "trickle down economics" have proven that the rich don't let their income "trickle down" at the rate that we need in order for the theory to work. The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. We need to reverse this trend.

Also, I think Obama has some good ideas. I like the idea of giving people scholarships in return for civil service.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Also, I think that the "trickle down economics" have proven that the rich don't let their income "trickle down" at the rate that we need in order for the theory to work. The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. We need to reverse this trend.

So it will become open season on anyone who has managed to be sucessful. That is class warfare plain and simple.

Draka

Wonder Woman
So it will become open season on anyone who has managed to be sucessful. That is class warfare plain and simple.

A lot of "successful" people have become that way on the backs of others. By paying low wages, no benefits, and long hours. Not everyone who has money did it by their own bootstraps.

I love that "class warfare" comment by the way. Like you are of a better or higher "class" than me. I thought that system didn't exist here...perhaps I'm wrong.

Also, just like not everyone that has money has honestly worked for it without help from others, there are those without money that have worked really hard in their lives and still come up short through no fault of their own. Should they be kept down?

jonny

No one is ever successful without the help of others. People need to share their wealth. The theory behind trickle-down economics is that those at the top will freely share their wealth with those at the bottom and that everyone will get richer together. Unfortunately, I don't think that is happening, and I've been effected by greedy business owners myself. Excuse me if the experience has left me pretty jaded about the entire "trickle down" theory.

Most of these theories require that the people involved are moral and decent people in order for them to work properly. I think that Americans have become too greedy.

Personally, I would love to see corporation start capping CEO salaries at some percentage the salary of the lowest paid employee in the company (see Ben & Jerry's before they became sell outs). It'll never happen though.

jonny

A lot of "successful" people have become that way on the backs of others. By paying low wages, no benefits, and long hours. Not everyone who has money did it by their own bootstraps.

Yep. I made my last boss hundreds of thousands of dollars over the last few years while he made promise after promise and broke promise after promise. The entire time I was working for pathetic wages and working ten hour days while he worked a few hours here and there. I even let him get away with treating me like an employee and working as an "independent contractor" - meaning that he screwed me by forcing me to pay the taxes that HE should have paid. Oh yeah, he wouldn't give me insurance benefits either.

The ultimate slap in the face was when he invited me over to his house to see the massive home theater he had built in his basement. Sweet.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Yep. I made my last boss hundreds of thousands of dollars over the last few years while he made promise after promise and broke promise after promise. The entire time I was working for pathetic wages and working ten hour days while he worked a few hours here and there. I even let him get away with treating me like an employee and working as an "independent contractor" - meaning that he screwed me by forcing me to pay the taxes that HE should have paid. Oh yeah, he wouldn't give me insurance benefits either.

The ultimate slap in the face was when he invited me over to his house to see the massive home theater he had built in his basement. Sweet.

Not really equal comparison, but I had a boss that made me sick like that. The man owned a restaurant I worked at. I was the night shift supervisor, responsible for employee hours, the regular duties of a restaurant, the cleaning at the end of the night, the countdown of drawers, the financial entries and paperwork filing for every night and weekend and the week ending royalty report to the corporation, and the bank deposits. Not to mention inventory and stocking. You want to know how much I made???? $5.25 an hour! No benefits, no nothing. I found another job working as a pizza delivery person making $5.50/hr plus tips. Made easily over twice as much at the new job. My old boss, when he found out I was leaving asked what he could do to get me to stay. I said at LEAST $8.00/hr might make me consider it. He said he'd offer me $5.50/hr if I accepted a co-manager position!!! He claimed he couldn't pay more than that because he was just too strapped. Funny that he could always afford a brand spanking new half-ton quad-cab truck every single year. Oh, and of course, who can forget the 40 some inch HD tv in his office upstairs of the restaurant? Nope, can't afford to pay his employees anything. :sarcastic

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
No one is ever successful without the help of others. People need to share their wealth. The theory behind trickle-down economics is that those at the top will freely share their wealth with those at the bottom and that everyone will get richer together. Unfortunately, I don't think that is happening, and I've been effected by greedy business owners myself. Excuse me if the experience has left me pretty jaded about the entire "trickle down" theory.

Most of these theories require that the people involved are moral and decent people in order for them to work properly. I think that Americans have become too greedy.

Personally, I would love to see corporation start capping CEO salaries at some percentage the salary of the lowest paid employee in the company (see Ben & Jerry's before they became sell outs). It'll never happen though.

Oh dear, I think I have to disagree. My husband started a business nearly 20 years ago. We mortgaged our house and basically risked everything to do it. In spite of the tax burden we carry, we've provided jobs and supported families. But we get no help from the government. We are expected to pay for a payroll service to withhold taxes from our employees for the government. So essentially, we are unpaid tax collectors. Then on top of that we are additionally taxed for each employee. So the more jobs we provide, the more we are penalized. If our business goes under, we lose everything. Our employees could simply go onto another job, especially with the skills they'd learned working for us.
No one is forced to take any job. Education is obtainable to anyone willing to sacrifice for it. Those who take the risks should be allowed to reap the rewards, otherwise no one will take the risk next time. And starting a new business is risky. If we don't pay a fair wage and offer decent benefits, we lose good employees.
So I'm all for minimal government interference. If we're allowed to keep more of the money we earn to reinvest it, our business will grow, and we will hire more people.
As I understand it, this is the trickle-down theory.
I don't mean to offend anyone here. I just had to share my opinion.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member

I love that "class warfare" comment by the way. Like you are of a better or higher "class" than me. I thought that system didn't exist here...perhaps I'm wrong.
I'm not better than anyone. There is cow poo on my boots and my wife insisted that I clean the toilet this evening. She was at school all day and evening and I have a sick kid at home. I am waiting on people to send me money for work I invoiced a month ago and when the money gets here, I have to write a big check to workers compensation. Just when I start to sympathise with same sex couples, I get told what an evil bigot I am. Yeppers I think I am really better than some folks, uh huh.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I wouldn't vote for Huckabee if he was the only candidate. I'm to the point that I'm seriously considering starting my own country.

jonny

Oh dear, I think I have to disagree. My husband started a business nearly 20 years ago. We mortgaged our house and basically risked everything to do it. In spite of the tax burden we carry, we've provided jobs and supported families. But we get no help from the government. We are expected to pay for a payroll service to withhold taxes from our employees for the government. So essentially, we are unpaid tax collectors. Then on top of that we are additionally taxed for each employee. So the more jobs we provide, the more we are penalized. If our business goes under, we lose everything. Our employees could simply go onto another job, especially with the skills they'd learned working for us.
No one is forced to take any job. Education is obtainable to anyone willing to sacrifice for it. Those who take the risks should be allowed to reap the rewards, otherwise no one will take the risk next time. And starting a new business is risky. If we don't pay a fair wage and offer decent benefits, we lose good employees.
So I'm all for minimal government interference. If we're allowed to keep more of the money we earn to reinvest it, our business will grow, and we will hire more people.
As I understand it, this is the trickle-down theory.
I don't mean to offend anyone here. I just had to share my opinion.

So, do you think that the tax increase you'd get to pay for a national health care system would be more than the money you shell out for your employee's health care?

jonny

I wouldn't vote for Huckabee if he was the only candidate. I'm to the point that I'm seriously considering starting my own country.

Too bad Brother Brigham didn't put up a bigger fight against the government. I wonder why the Saints shifted from wanting their own country to doing anything they could to become part of the United States. I have a feeling that they just wanted to be accepted. Unfortunately, I think we're still hoping for that so I don't think it was worth it.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Too bad Brother Brigham didn't put up a bigger fight against the government. I wonder why the Saints shifted from wanting their own country to doing anything they could to become part of the United States. I have a feeling that they just wanted to be accepted. Unfortunately, I think we're still hoping for that so I don't think it was worth it.

It would be intersting having a Mormon country.

EDIT: Ooohhh. Maybe I should start a Mormon country!