• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Howdy

sealchan

I'm checking out this site...it seems to have a great mix of spiritual perspectives which may be helpful to me.

I am a Christian but I like to keep my inner atheist happy. What that means I suppose you will get to know as I post. I was originally an atheist but have had experiences which have led me to feel I must profess a belief in Christianity. I feel that God has a particular job for me to do and I may do it here if that is where He/She leads me.

I have been participating on another forum where I have been studying the Bible starting with Genesis and later Matthew. That work has been meaningful to me and I wish to continue it, but I am concerned that the site I have been participating on is loosing its morale. There are some great people there but again, somehow, the atmosphere is not inspiring. I may continue my close scriptural studies in the appropriate forum here.

I have a background in cross-cultural mythology and in dreamwork. I also have a Bachelors of Science degree and enjoy keeping up with many topics in science. I am a deep fan of some of the great works of epic literature including modern science fiction and fantasy. I see in all such great stories a way to discover and invoke meaning in our lives. The source of the greatest stories often can be traced back to dreams and the deep meaning they can provide.

I look forward to exploring all of this here and hearing what you all have to say.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm checking out this site...it seems to have a great mix of spiritual perspectives which may be helpful to me.

I am a Christian but I like to keep my inner atheist happy. What that means I suppose you will get to know as I post. I was originally an atheist but have had experiences which have led me to feel I must profess a belief in Christianity. I feel that God has a particular job for me to do and I may do it here if that is where He/She leads me.

I have been participating on another forum where I have been studying the Bible starting with Genesis and later Matthew. That work has been meaningful to me and I wish to continue it, but I am concerned that the site I have been participating on is loosing its morale. There are some great people there but again, somehow, the atmosphere is not inspiring. I may continue my close scriptural studies in the appropriate forum here.

I have a background in cross-cultural mythology and in dreamwork. I also have a Bachelors of Science degree and enjoy keeping up with many topics in science. I am a deep fan of some of the great works of epic literature including modern science fiction and fantasy. I see in all such great stories a way to discover and invoke meaning in our lives. The source of the greatest stories often can be traced back to dreams and the deep meaning they can provide.

I look forward to exploring all of this here and hearing what you all have to say.

Welcome. The discuss indivisual religions in the christian DIR may interest you. Maybe have annidea of doing a bible study once a week if people are up for it. We need some substance on these forums.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!

For dinner (free) tonite, we're having....
th

I'm not sure what it is, but we also have lots of....
melindasORIGINAL-500x500.jpg

sealchan

Welcome. The discuss indivisual religions in the christian DIR may interest you. Maybe have annidea of doing a bible study once a week if people are up for it. We need some substance on these forums.

My format was like a Bible Study in the other forum. I will spend some time on this forum and get the lay of the land. My choice of where to post on the other forum was somewhat determined by visibility. This forum seems to have some bells and whistles that change the visibility rules.

Thanks!

sealchan

I should also probably mention I have a deep developing interest in The Mahabharata. I hope to meet some people here who can help me with some of the apparent plot similarities between the Jewish Testament and stories from the Mahabharata. My familiarity with the latter is in the novice stage but I hope to improve it over the next year or so.

sealchan

Shalom and welcome. You seem to have a balanced view.

Thanks! I like to think so.

I hope that I will learn from others and perhaps open some eyes about the literary, mythic and psychological background behind Biblical literature.

sealchan

Greetings!

For dinner (free) tonite, we're having....
th

I'm not sure what it is, but we also have lots of....
melindasORIGINAL-500x500.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

It took me a little while to decide whether it was safe to reply to you or not.

But I think that if you can turn lemons into lemonaid (with hot sauce) then I shouldn't be too scared.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thanks for sharing!

It took me a little while to decide whether it was safe to reply to you or not.

But I think that if you can turn lemons into lemonaid (with hot sauce) then I shouldn't be too scared.
I'm one of the safest posters here.
Just ask anyone....except staff....& women....& liberals....& Xians....& Muslims.....& other Libertarians...& other atheists.

omega2xx

If you are a Christian, and I am not judging you are not. You have been sealed with the Holy Spirit and he will kick out any atheist living in your house(body). I believe that comment may be tongue in cheek.

In any case welcome,

sealchan

If you are a Christian, and I am not judging you are not. You have been sealed with the Holy Spirit and he will kick out any atheist living in your house(body). I believe that comment may be tongue in cheek.

In any case welcome,

As far as my deep appreciation of science is concerned I am nearly identical to most atheists. I don't let the Bible teach me much about cosmology, biology or the like. Science is, for me, the study of God's creation. The author of Genesis was limited by his culture's scientific knowledge and in that sense the Bible is not accurate. That doesn't mean that for me the Bible is not the Word of God but it is a collaboration between God and humans whose knowledge is always limited. God inspired the author, the author wrote as any sincere human would write in an effort to get at the truth as they understood it.

IMO to the extent that an atheist states the truth, the Holy Spirit will uphold it.

omega2xx

As far as my deep appreciation of science is concerned I am nearly identical to most atheists. I don't let the Bible teach me much about cosmology, biology or the like. Science is, for me, the study of God's creation. The author of Genesis was limited by his culture's scientific knowledge and in that sense the Bible is not accurate. That doesn't mean that for me the Bible is not the Word of God but it is a collaboration between God and humans whose knowledge is always limited. God inspired the author, the author wrote as any sincere human would write in an effort to get at the truth as they understood it.

The Bible is not basically about science, but where it touches on science it is accurate. Are there errors in the Bible? If you say "yes" post one.

IMO to the extent that an atheist states the truth, the Holy Spirit will uphold it.

Of course.

sealchan

The Bible is not basically about science, but where it touches on science it is accurate. Are there errors in the Bible? If you say "yes" post one.

Of course.

The scientific errors in the Bible include:

• Genesis 1 including the general cosmology and how the Universe developed refuted by modern physics
  • The whole story of Adam and Eve up through to David refuted by the archeological record is probably a sacred fiction based on oral/literary invention and a cross-culturally shared epic story framework
  • The global flood refuted by geological science
Those are the big ones that come to mind immediately.

omega2xx

The scientific errors in the Bible include:

• Genesis 1 including the general cosmology and how the Universe developed refuted by modern physics<<
Modern physics doesn't explain how he universe began.
  • The whole story of Adam and Eve up through to David refuted by the archeological record is probably a sacred fiction based on oral/literary invention and a cross-culturally shared epic story framewor
Don't tell me. Show me.

The global flood refuted by geological science

How?
Those are the big ones that come to mind immediately.

Opinions are not evidence, let alone scientific evidence.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Welcome and happy seeking. I am honored every day I get to be a part of something with so much from so many different people across the world.
And I'm not just talking about @Revoltingest buffet for newcomers.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Biblical genetics:
Peel the bark of tree branches, so they appear mottled.
Place them in a watering trough.
Goats drinking from the trough will thereafter produce spotted kids.

Watch:

sealchan

Well, that would be something to talk about in a series of threads in another forum.

I basically trust in the authority and methodology of science and its extended academic community and I don't see any competition from paradigms operating outside the peer review journals.