• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How you feel finding errors in your scripture?

When I find multiple errors in scripture

• I get upset and will not easy admit a flaw

• I can easy admit my scripture has a flaw

• ReRead, Check context, Find new translation

• Check Google or scripture for solutions

• Create a new POST on RF to find out

• Pray or Meditate hoping God answers

• My mistake; scripture is perfect

• Cool about it; plenty of good verses

• Cool about it; Humans make errors

• Happy to find errors in scripture of others

Results are only viewable after voting.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
How you feel finding errors in your scripture? Is it even possible? Okay errors in scripture of others, but not in mine!

I remember when I came across errors in my favorite scripture I was far from happy. Mind tried all kinds of tricks to get around these errors.

How you feel/deal with errors you find, or when others point them out?

Easy to admit to others there is a flaw in your scripture. Or does it take some weeks before you dare speak on it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
How you feel finding errors in your scripture? Is it even possible? Okay errors in scripture of others, but not in mine!

I remember when I came across errors in my favorite scripture I was far from happy. Mind tried all kinds of tricks to get around these errors.

Easy to admit to others there is a flaw in your scripture. Or does it take some weeks before you dare speak on it.
Personally I'd be relieved. If there wasn't any flaw, I'd have to reassess things all over again.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I admit Scripture is ****** up in many places. Ive known many Catholics who despise the stupid, cruel, hateful, brutal psychopathic , verses and will not defend them. It is less common among Protestants.

However, i have never met a Muslim, online or offline, who looked at the hate, violence, torture, and mutilation in the Qu'ran and admits it is wrong , ***** up, and the prophet made a mistake! Every Muslim I have met online or offline ignores those verses, defends them, or excuses them.

They point the finger at Trump, while they defend hatred, bigotry, mass-murder and psychopathic tortures and mutilation of people who stand up to Muhammad's barbaric cruelty. It is total hypocrisy!

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

It's an interesting question. It goes to just how much stock one places in external sources for finding truth. If one has no inner voice to listen to, then everything is invested in the belief it exists elsewhere. And when one projects that onto scriptures as perfect and without error, to come to the realization it's not would be a major life crisis because the hope it can be found "out there" begins to vaporize before one's own eyes. They become left in that impossible place of having to find it within when they lack the faith necessary to look there for it.

Jumi

I don't rely on scripture, I only care about the inspirational or useful ones. If I was into some scripture deeply, I'd probably ignore the bits that are errors or make no sense.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Typically 'scripture' is a category (some might say stigma) imposed on a body of text. To react negatively to anachronisms, contradictions, and errors is to fault the text for bruising one's own unwarranted expectations.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Most mistakes in Hindu scriptures are in science and I can accept that very well. At the time of their writing that was all which was known. I would not expect them to know Quantum theory but they were ahead of all others in their philosophical constructions.

However, on the philosophical front, there are many differences (not mistakes, those people were very strong in 'tarka' (1) and 'nyaya' (2)), which delight me. The writers of scriptures were not afraid to think outside the box and were not branded as heretics. I take that to be the greatest strength of Hinduism.

Tarka: Tarka Sastra is a science of dialectics, logic and reasoning, and art of debate that analyzes the nature and source of knowledge and its validity.
Nyaya: Nyāya literally means "rules", "method" or "judgment". It is also the name of one of the six orthodox (Astika, general meaning Theist) schools of Hinduism. This school's most significant contributions to Indian philosophy was systematic development of the theory of logic, methodology, and its treatises on epistemology.

Last edited:

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
How you feel finding errors in your scripture?
I love to find errors in all scriptures, it makes us wiser; we're down near Hell (Maya), and if the world isn't delusional, all the texts are wrong anyway...

Yet since we can find numerous contradictions, and people are not intelligent enough to recognize the blatant flaws, it proves the point.

In my opinion.
:innocent:

syo

i don't know if scriptures have errors. at least, I can't find errors in the NT.

KT Shamim

Ahmadiyya Muslim Community

I deal with it by, first, accepting that something agitates me. Simultaneously also accepting that due to plethora of empirical evidence that the scripture is from God therefore scripture is perfect. Therefore, my mind does not understand and there is nothing wrong with accepting my inability to understand/reconcile scripture with my rational sense.
Then I consult various commentaries by the Promised Messiah Mirza Ghulam Ahmad of Qadian (as) and his caliphs that are available online. That clears things more than satisfactorily. This process could take time though.

Just a day or so ago there was post about how Qur'an is (God-forbid) racist calling good people white faced. I didn't have a satisfactory answer at first but did some digging as above and was satisfied and then posted https://www.religiousforums.com/thr...ishment-from-allah.210377/page-5#post-5690493, Alhamdolillah.

I should mention also that praying is key here. Lots of Astaghfar.

Earthling

David Henson
I could have answered more than one on the list, but I picked the second one. I accept it.

I sometimes get upset and will not admit it if someone is trying to show me and I'm not seeing it, but if it's there I will eventually see it.

I will sometimes check Bible gateway for commentary or tools I don't immediately have available to me.

Riders

You forgot to add denial to that list.Most the time when I bring up contradictions to Christians there are no contradictions!

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
You forgot to add denial to that list.Most the time when I bring up contradictions to Christians there are no contradictions!
I agree. A very good point. "Denial" happens a lot. These people are very upset and will not easy admit a flaw [or some will not at all]
That is why I put the first line "I get upset and will not easy admit a flaw" [reading your reply I'm glad I put that one first]

Last edited:

Earthling

David Henson
I admit Scripture is ****** up in many places. Ive known many Catholics who despise the stupid, cruel, hateful, brutal psychopathic , verses and will not defend them. It is less common among Protestants.

However, i have never met a Muslim, online or offline, who looked at the hate, violence, torture, and mutilation in the Qu'ran and admits it is wrong , ***** up, and the prophet made a mistake! Every Muslim I have met online or offline ignores those verses, defends them, or excuses them.

They point the finger at Trump, while they defend hatred, bigotry, mass-murder and psychopathic tortures and mutilation of people who stand up to Muhammad's barbaric cruelty. It is total hypocrisy!

Just because the Bible has ****ed up stuff in it doesn't mean that those are errors, though, yes?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
There are no errors in the NT or the Tanakh if one remembers the purpose of the scriptures.
“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”