• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you kill this thing?

How would you propose to kill this thing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Raven makes a point. Any dirty wound -- a bite, a puncture, &c carries a risk of infection. A solpugid bite is probably cleaner than most, though. They have neither saliva nor venom to introduce into the wound, and they're always cleaning themselves, from what I've observed.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They're not spiders; and a big one is about the length of your finger.
From what I've dug up, they do indeed get rather large. An average of 5 - 6 inches leg span.
spider-bite.jpg

That is a bite a soldier suffered from a camel spider.
This story was just received by Camelspiders.net.
According to the soldiers relatives; the bite must have happened while he was sleeping. He wasn't even aware that he had been bitten. He woke up to a large lump on his arm. Then while out on maneuvers, the cyst-like area ruptured open. He was then sent on to the MASH Unit in Kuwait. They dug everything out (puss & ??) then packed it with gauze, put him on a strong round of antibiotics with instructions to re-pack the site several times a day. The area was too large for them to stitch shut. They claimed that it would cause an air pocket under the skin. So it had to be allowed to heal from the inside - out! It seems to have healed pretty well, leaving a small scar about the size of a penny.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yikes!

I've got these things scurrying around my yard at night (I live in a desert). I've got desert tarantulas too.

I'm going out to buy a pair of wellies now.....

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Seyorni said:
For heavens sake, folks. They're not lobsters. They're not scorpions. They're not spiders; and a big one is about the length of your finger.

They're solpugids, AKA windscorpions. In some regions they're known locally as camel spiders. Some species grow pretty big but none are the size of lobsters.

They're non-poisonous arachnids with bizarre four part jaws. They're really fierce and dangerous -- if you're a grasshopper. I 'm sure they could give a person a painful nip but they're not really dangerous. (Still, I keep my hands well away when I come across them).

I was only kidding when I said that it was a malnourished lobster! :D

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
From what I've dug up, they do indeed get rather large. An average of 5 - 6 inches leg span.

That is a bite a soldier suffered from a camel spider.
For the remaining necrotic tissue, one of the best ways of healing is to put maggots on the wound. (my wife's aunt has had this used on her ulcerated legs; it does work....

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/050419_maggots.html
Pam Mitchell knew the maggots were working when her foot started bleeding.
Four years ago, a small cut on Mitchell's left heel turned into an diabetes-related infection two inches wide and down to the bone. Another wound developed in her right foot, owing to dry, cracked skin. Doctors tried everything—creams, antibiotics—but nothing worked.
"My doctor told me to give it up, see a psychologist, and have my foot amputated," she recalls.
Mitchell, now 52, had to make a decision soon because the powerful antibiotic that doctors prescribed for her infection was also wreaking havoc on her bones. Mitchell was preparing to undergo a dangerous bone marrow transplant when a friend remembered watching a TV show about European doctors using maggots to treat wounds like Mitchell's. With nothing to lose, she tried it.

Mitchell found a dermatologist willing to perform the procedure, and soon had 600 live maggots wriggling inside the wound on her left foot, 400 in her right, where they were sealed in gauze and left for two days.
Mitchell found a dermatologist willing to perform the procedure, and soon had 600 live maggots wriggling inside the wound on her left foot, 400 in her right, where they were sealed in gauze and left for two days.
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

A growing number of doctors are starting to agree. Maggots are useful because they help remove dead tissue and expose healthy tissue, a process called debridement. Maggot debridement therapy was popular in the early part of the last century but went out of vogue when antibiotic use became widespread.
But maggots are now making a comeback, and they are increasingly being used to treat ulcers, gangrene, skin cancer, and burns. Research also suggests maggots may help decrease the risks of infections after surgery.
Leeches, too
Maggot therapy is just one example of a medical approach called biotherapy -- the use of living animals to aid in medical diagnosis or treatment. Leeches are another example.

thewanderer

Ancilla Deae et Dei
Maggot therapy is just one example of a medical approach called biotherapy -- the use of living animals to aid in medical diagnosis or treatment. Leeches are another example.

You know, that's great that it worked... but I don't know if I'd want maggots crawling around in my foot any more than i'd want a spider bite... eww...:cover: