1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you describe what happened to Noah's people?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Remté, Feb 11, 2019 at 9:41 PM.

1. Remté

Remté Active Member

Ratings:
    +97
    You can also refer to the particular version you are speaking of.

What I am asking is your view of the flood, not the details. What was it? Why did it happen? Did they deserve it?

2. icehorse

icehorse Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,877
    Religion:
    spiritual anti-theist : )
    A childish, petulant god decided to drown trillions of creatures because he didn't get his way?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Sorry, just trying to sort the NONSENSE
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,124
    Religion:
    I hope there is something out there that is smarter than me.
    God saw that the people were sinful and unrepentant, even after many warnings. Then he drowned them save for Noah and his family. He also saved two of every kind of animal.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. aMirage

aMirage Look outside, seek and observe.

Ratings:
    +7
    Religion:
    Natural Sciences
    They deserved it completely.

5. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,963
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Who did? The giraffes?

6. adrian009

adrian009 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,579
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    The story of Noah whether told in the Quran or the Torah as an allegorical story that describes the relationship between man, God and His own soul. It speaks of the consequences of either turning towards God or turning way from Him. Although based on an archtypal prophet, most of the story is mythical.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tumah

Tumah Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,926
    Religion:
    Mega-Super-Ultra-Orthodox Judaism
    Miraculous world-wide flooding.
    People were doing bad stuff.
    Yes?

8. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +8,156
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    A local flood. The story grew over time and became a story about a worldwide flood. Stories do this.

• Creative Creative x 1
  9. It Aint Necessarily So

It Aint Necessarily So Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,675
    Religion:
    None
    The flood story is a myth.

It didn't. No global flood submerging all land forms ever occurred.

You might ask why the story was concocted. I have always believed that it derives from the discovery of marine fossils at the highest elevations. Suppose you found sea shells and similar fossils at an elevation of a few thousand feet. Wouldn't you try to account for that unexpected finding? How did they get there? People didn't drag them uphill and put them there.

Today, we understand that mountaintops were once sea floors that have been pushed upward by moving tectonic plates. But it would seem more likely in ancient days that the water rose over the mountains rather than that the mountains were raised out of the water. I suggest that this is why that particular flood is said to have covered the mountain tops.

And people have been trying to find some other hidden meaning to the story ever since, meaning which I contend was not intended by its authors. Trying to inject moral judgments about mankind into the story leaves one with problems. You're left with a story in which the creator of man blames His creation for its own design shortcomings like Ford blaming the cars for a recall rather than its engineers, a problem which he tries to rectify by indiscriminately killing almost all terrestrial life and repopulating the earth using the same breeding stock while hoping for a better outcome. That's not a very flattering portrait of a god.

The people? For what? Being people and doing what people do?

The other animals? Did they deserve what can only be described as a horrifying death as water levels rose and those animals that could sought progressively higher ground until one day, they could go no further, saw the water levels rising above their necks, craning for a few last breaths in sheer terror, and then dying. Does anybody or anything deserve that?

This is what I mean about the problem with trying to make the flood story into a morals lesson. The moral failing is in the god, not its creation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Remté

Remté Active Member

Ratings:
    +97
    The Quran doesn't suggest that either.

11. Quintessence

Quintessence Tale Weaver

Ratings:
    +11,719
    Religion:
    Druidry
    Abrahamic mythology really isn't part of my tradition, so I can't say I've given it a critical read. Were I to interpret it wildly out of its proper context with polytheistic eyes, it would no doubt be a misinterpretation of the original intent of the story. Don't really have much to say about it, other than with a more Pagan and cyclical view of time, all things end to begin again; the Element of Water is the force of void-time and destructive unification that facilitates that process.

12. DavidMcCann

DavidMcCann Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,371
    Religion:
    Hellenic Polytheist
    A myth has been described as a story that is good to think with, or one that never happened but was always true. Mesopotamia was always subject to terrible floods when the rivers (particularly the Euphrates) burst their banks and changed course. When a town ends up under ten feet of mud, people tend to remember, and so the idea of a catastrophic flood became an obvious symbol for divine punishment.

13. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +10,764
    Religion:
    Catholic-- liberal & ecumenical
    IMO, it's allegorical.

14. 1213

1213 Active Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Religion:
    Disciple of Jesus

I believe what the Bible tells.

Reason was:
    The earth was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.
    Gen. 6:11

And the flood covered all former dry land:
    The flood was forty days on the earth. The waters increased, and lifted up the ark, and it was lifted up above the earth.
    Gen. 7:17
    Are you a disciple of Jesus?

Did they deserve it? I would say, evil people who are violent and make life suffering for all, don’t deserve to live. And unfortunately, world seems to go to that same direction nowadays and I believe the result will be similar.