• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you act if you were a massive giant to tiny intelligent life?

Thrylix

This thread is inspired by an old thread I made about whether or not it is wrong to step on bugs, but with a different subject. There is an episode of the Twilight Zone called the Little People where a couple astronauts get stranded on a distant planet and while repairing their ship, they stumble upon a race of tiny humans a who are sophisticated enough to build houses, boats, trucks, cities, and appear in all aspects to be identical to the humans in every way except their size. You can probably guess what happens next.

An alien version of Conrad's Heart of Darkness. One of the astronauts decides he's going to be their God and begins to dominate the little people through fear and cruelty, based on no godly qualities except the advantage of having evolved to be massively bigger than them. It was a cool episode.

Anyway, what's interesting and possibly shocking to some, is I don't think I'd act very differently from that guy in his circumstance. I could see myself becoming a tyrant to them and enjoy every second of it. If I somehow came across a planet of tiny little aliens that were the size of ants to me, I don' think I'd have much of a problem with crushing a few of their towns, provided that that no one (or at least no one who mattered) would find out or try to punish me for it. I'd actually think it's hard to blame a guy like me for taking advantage of the size difference. I would love the chance to be revered as a god, even if I'd very much be an old testament god. Well, except that instead of meting out discipline with lightning, I'd be tyrannizing the little aliens with nothing but my giant stinking feet. Hell, I run competitively so I wouldn't be surprised if the smell of my feet alone was potent enough to kill them. If they needed me to press a giant sneaker-shaped footprint in the middle of their capitol to remind them to worship me, then that's fine. Actually, I'd probably do that anyway.

Here is where you may disagree, but to me it seems like nature taking its course and I don't think I can fault some giant alien who came to Earth doing this either. In the immediate moment he's planting a huge foot down on NYC, I'd probably think the alien was a giant jerk, but looking at the big picture, I know I'd be too insignificant to this being to even get his attention, much less communicate in any meaningful way. And does Godzilla care about the humans he steps on? Besides, I already step on bugs all the time, often purposely.

In spite of what I'd do in the above situation, I wouldn't consider myself to be evil, immoral, or unethical. Rather, I'm generally considered to be an all-around great guy by friends and coworkers. I help people all the time for nothing in return, have donated to charities, given people rides, and I even volunteer as an EMT when I can. I run competitively, coach track for no pay. I've never been arrested, vandalized property, or wanted to hurt anyone.

What do you think of the behavior I described? How would you behave when in a situation where you gain absolute power over others? Would you be kind or cruel? Or would you walk away from the situation? Try to stay respectful of one another!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What do you mean IF I was a giant among small insects? You walk carefully. Duh! Plus, lunch is on the hoof!

More seriously, to answer your question, I've said several times on RF that no one would want me as Emperor of the world. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. I would be fine until I grew impatient.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
What do you think of the behavior I described?
I think it's extremely sick, honestly. Reading it made me worried that you have some ASPD symptoms. No, I don't have any desire to treat other living beings like that. My sense of empathy is far too strong. I feel bad swatting a fly. I think how you treat those more vulnerable than you speaks volumes about your character.

Edit: Considering your post history, you seem to have some bizarre fixations. It's sounds like that crush fetish stuff. You're only here to post your odd sexual fetishes, it seems.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you think of the behavior I described?

You wouldn't like the my answer to this question. Suffice it to say that your opinion of such behavior is contrary to mine.

How would you behave when in a situation where you gain absolute power over others?

That's the difference between you and me. I don't consider myself having absolute power over something I could easily squash. I certainly would not entertain the thought of being its god.

Would you be kind or cruel? Or would you walk away from the situation? Try to stay respectful of one another!

I would merely coexist.

Audie

Veteran Member
No RFer would ever guess, but I
have it in me to get aggressive and
hostile.

I am far more one to nurture and care
for though. "May I hold your baby?"
"Dont kill the spidet, let me put it outside."

The tiny people likely wont need my help,
but I would no more try to "dominate" them
than I would a nest of baby birds.

Maybe I am not much of a man. :D

Audie

Veteran Member
You wouldn't like the my answer to this question. Suffice it to say that your opinion of such behavior is contrary to mine.

That's the difference between you and me. I don't consider myself having absolute power over something I could easily squash. I certainly would not entertain the thought of being its god.

I would merely coexist.

And have terrific fun learning from eachother!

Now, imagine if some wanted to come back to earth to
explore mutual trade advantages.

What micro scale work they could do! (Are they ant size?)

How do you pay them? Their weight in gold? When back home,
the few nuggets they've botheted with are enough for evety
conceivsble usr for everyone?

Daemon Sophic

This thread is inspired by an old thread I made about whether or not it is wrong to step on bugs, but with a different subject. There is an episode of the Twilight Zone called the Little People where a couple astronauts get stranded on a distant planet and while repairing their ship, they stumble upon a race of tiny humans a who are sophisticated enough to build houses, boats, trucks, cities, and appear in all aspects to be identical to the humans in every way except their size. You can probably guess what happens next.

An alien version of Conrad's Heart of Darkness. One of the astronauts decides he's going to be their God and begins to dominate the little people through fear and cruelty, based on no godly qualities except the advantage of having evolved to be massively bigger than them. It was a cool episode.

Anyway, what's interesting and possibly shocking to some, is I don't think I'd act very differently from that guy in his circumstance. I could see myself becoming a tyrant to them and enjoy every second of it. If I somehow came across a planet of tiny little aliens that were the size of ants to me, I don' think I'd have much of a problem with crushing a few of their towns, provided that that no one (or at least no one who mattered) would find out or try to punish me for it. I'd actually think it's hard to blame a guy like me for taking advantage of the size difference. I would love the chance to be revered as a god, even if I'd very much be an old testament god. Well, except that instead of meting out discipline with lightning, I'd be tyrannizing the little aliens with nothing but my giant stinking feet. Hell, I run competitively so I wouldn't be surprised if the smell of my feet alone was potent enough to kill them. If they needed me to press a giant sneaker-shaped footprint in the middle of their capitol to remind them to worship me, then that's fine. Actually, I'd probably do that anyway.

Here is where you may disagree, but to me it seems like nature taking its course and I don't think I can fault some giant alien who came to Earth doing this either. In the immediate moment he's planting a huge foot down on NYC, I'd probably think the alien was a giant jerk, but looking at the big picture, I know I'd be too insignificant to this being to even get his attention, much less communicate in any meaningful way. And does Godzilla care about the humans he steps on? Besides, I already step on bugs all the time, often purposely.

In spite of what I'd do in the above situation, I wouldn't consider myself to be evil, immoral, or unethical. Rather, I'm generally considered to be an all-around great guy by friends and coworkers. I help people all the time for nothing in return, have donated to charities, given people rides, and I even volunteer as an EMT when I can. I run competitively, coach track for no pay. I've never been arrested, vandalized property, or wanted to hurt anyone.

What do you think of the behavior I described? How would you behave when in a situation where you gain absolute power over others? Would you be kind or cruel? Or would you walk away from the situation? Try to stay respectful of one another!
As others about that stated, your imagined behavior in such a scenerio is disturbing to say the least.

While all of us have trodden on insects and such, it is intelligence that makes this tale different. There are lives full of memories and love and caring, as well as hopes for the future and for their children, that you would be snuffing out without so much as a mental shrug. These would be creatures that, as @Audie points out, you could communicate with, trade with, share ideas with.
These are not a few neural nets that make an ant walk to sugar and bring it back to the hive.

Question: Were you a bully as a kid? The smaller kids are weaker than you. Why not abuse and exploit them then? The same logic applies.

Audie

Veteran Member
A question: Were you a bully as a kid? The smaller kids are weaker than you. Why not abuse and exploit them then? The same logic applies.

As a "very petite" I have always been easy
to bully, and worse.

I like to wish or hope there are few who
would behave as described, but I know
there are more than enough such, so
there will always be one ready to pounce
when they detect vulnerability.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If I saw micro people id protect them and not even talk about to other people even with the knowledge that I would be just another George Noory candidate anyways.

The wonderful thing it would bring to the table is having that special secret that I would happily take with me to my grave. It kind of explains why some people would have a penchant to take unique and incredible secrets with them and keep it with themselves till the end of their lives never to be divulged.

Axe Elf

Prophet
I'm glad to see that the vast majority of readers are stunned and shocked by your description of your character as reflected in this vignette.

I can't imagine anyone advertising their unfitness for civilized society in any more definitive way, unless maybe they were to post videos of themselves strangling kittens or something.

Get the f behind me...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I would be more honest with you, but it's inconvenient at the moment.
I have 2 current infraction points, and I am saving my 3rd. In case someone important says something.
Tom
You're such a fricken rebel!

Thrylix

I'm glad to see that the vast majority of readers are stunned and shocked by your description of your character as reflected in this vignette.

I can't imagine anyone advertising their unfitness for civilized society in any more definitive way, unless maybe they were to post videos of themselves strangling kittens or something.

Get the f behind me...

Hah, I've been "fit" and functioning in civilized society for 27 years now. Never had legal issues and as I've stated I've volunteered my time as an EMT and coached track just because I want to help out. That sort of blows your theory out of the water.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Hah, I've been "fit" and functioning in civilized society for 27 years now. Never had legal issues and as I've stated I've volunteered my time as an EMT and coached track just because I want to help out. That sort of blows your theory out of the water.

Not at all. You behave yourself as long as you face consequences for your actions. If the threat of sanctions is removed, you would behave selfishly and amorally--according to your own account.

I suspect that your volunteering as an EMT and as a coach have more to do with your enjoyment of having control over people than they do with you wanting to help people.

Last edited:

Thrylix

Of course consequences are a deterrent to misbehavior. That doesn't just apply to me, but to you and everyone else in society.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Of course consequences are a deterrent to misbehavior. That doesn't just apply to me, but to you and everyone else in society.

I don't need the threat of punishment to keep me from killing people indiscriminately, as you suggested you would do in the OP if there were no consequences--so no, that does not apply to me.

Thrylix

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that you would be hard-pressed to demonstrate that I am unfit for civil society, based on the fact that I've been functioning in it all my life without harming others.

We humans are animals with dark tendencies. We (or at least most of us guys who are normal) love power. Otherwise we would have never invented the idea of a god. Our civilized society is a thin veneer over these instincts, in my humble (or hubristic) opinion.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that you would be hard-pressed to demonstrate that I am unfit for civil society, based on the fact that I've been functioning in it all my life without harming others.

Ok, you're right. Allow me to correct myself. You are well-suited for a civilized society in which there are strict, severe, and well-enforced penalties for harming others. You are grossly unfit for anarchic society in which each individual takes personal responsibility for the well-being of others, without requiring the oversight of authority to keep them from harming others.

We humans are animals with dark tendencies. We (or at least most of us guys who are normal) love power. Otherwise we would have never invented the idea of a god.

God did create us with the selfish instincts we needed to survive in the physical world. He also created a mechanism by which those who are chosen for salvation "crucify" their human nature of selfishness and take on His nature of love so that they can survive in the spiritual world in the presence of God. Those who were created for destruction are never allowed to do that; they remain trapped in their animalistic human nature. And that's why anarchy is impossible; we will always require the oversight of government to impose those strict, severe, and well-enforced penalties to keep those who love themselves (and subsequently, power) from harming those who love others.