• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would I choose even if I wanted to?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Always lift your answers from the bible, that is why God had it written. In the bible this is written:

400px-Bible_cycle.jpg

Could you tell us, without using circular logic, why anyone should choose to believe the bible over any of the holy books of other religions?

Cobol

Code Jockey
This world is profoundly, fundamentally bizarre. Faith in God doesn’t change that. God and superstition are absurd too.

Religion was our first attempt to explain existence and to answer our questions of who, what, when, where and the why of us.

With the growth of civilization to modern understanding and the advent of technology we can safely get rid of religion.

Today religion is a suspension of thought.

Last edited:

omega2xx

Let's say I want to follow the word of God. How would I know which religion / denomination is the true one?

You can't know. The only way to find out is to ask God to show you and sincerely want to know. If you want to find out if Christianity is true, I suggest you start by prayerfully reading the gospel of John.

omega2xx

This world is profoundly, fundamentally bizarre. Faith in God doesn’t change that. God and superstition are absurd too.

Religion was our first attempt to explain existence and to answer our questions of who, what, when, where and the why of us.

With the growth of civilization to modern understanding and the advent of technology we can safely get rid of religion.

Today religion is a suspension of thought.

Your theology is flawed because it is based on your personal, biased opinions with not evidence.

arthra

Baha'i
Let's say I want to follow the word of God. How would I know which religion / denomination is the true one?

As Baha'is we believed past scriptures have had Divine inspiration...

We believe the spiritual aspects of the great world religions is something in common that they all have.. and of course we share that with the earlier dispensations... there are of course different cultural and linguistic variations.

There are variations in the ordinances and many specific teachings that relate to the circumstances and contexts of each revelation. Cultural, geographic i influences again can be important..

Overall there is what we call progressive revelation through the great religions... so the earlier revelations may have similar inspiration but vary as to their social teachings and as the capacity of human beings has increased over time the Message will be more suited to the circumstances.

Finally and though last this is also important... You need to consider how the truth has been revealed.. and how direct it was from the Manifestation of the age... So if it was passed down verbally over centuries must be considered compared to whether it was directly revealed in writing from the Manifestation Himself.

dianaiad

Look around, study around, do your best to see what 'truth' might be....and be sure to ask God a lot. Then pick one and do your best with it. I figure that if there is a God (and I think there is) then if you ask Him, He'll figure out a way to help you out.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

I wouldnt bother practicing any particular denomination as far as Christianity goes. But thats just me. Read the word, question and discuss with others who you trust. Practice on a daily basis best you can. Its really not as complicated as many can make it out to be.

confused453

This question takes a series of questionable premises as givens.

Is that the intent? Do you want answers that take it for granted that there is exactly one God, that it somehow saw fit to give humanity its Word, and that there is a true religion and denomination among several others that are not?

I'm not sure. Just looking for something convincing.

MJFlores

Self study? Like reading a novel or a newspaper? Where will that lead you? I say, join bible study groups, bible expositions and check them out. If you think its baloney, go home and make a sandwich. How is that?

Now if you find that it needs more perusal, take your time.
Explore your world. If you are convinced that the world was nothing and then one day something exploded out of nothing and made something - well who can help you?

Kelly of the Phoenix

So it's deliberately designed to be unconvincing?
It's a poorly written set of texts that claims it's much better written than it was. I've read the Mahabharata and unlike the bible, it seems to have consistent themes, characterizations, and fewer plot holes.

Explore your world. If you are convinced that the world was nothing and then one day something exploded out of nothing and made something - well who can help you?
That's what creationism is.

Cobol

Code Jockey
I need you to convey the evidence you have for the absurdity of God. Please no opinions.

Is the concept of God self-contradictory and absurd? The Universe is merely matter and energy in motion, so the idea of God is patently absurd.

How can a timeless and spaceless entity even exist? Who created God? What existed before him?
If god were to exist then given all the pain and suffering in the world, the only rational conclusion about God is that he’s either an imbecile or a psychopath. So, God’s existence could only make life more absurd, not less.

It's hard to even comprehend how God exist. In the bible he explained himself as The Alpha and The Omega, that is, being with no beginning and having no end. He always just was. You can try to wrap your head around it but a being with that much power should show itself.

He is truly a timeless and space-less God.
But say he wasn't and he had a beginning, well then how could space it self and the universe just be? How could it be the alpha? Could the universe be timeless having no beginning? Or how long was the Big Bang there before it exploded? In effect something, some universe or some Big Bang had to be a timeless entity. Time has no beginning and no end.

If God is all-good and all-powerful, and the Creator of all that is, then evil should not exist. However, evil does exist. Hence god must not. Surely God is not a utilitarian. Surely to God the end cannot justify the means? All major religions recognize at least a few moral absolutes. But God’s universe seems to recognize none.

The problem of absurdity is not just one form of the problem of evil, one variation on a popular argument for atheism which might be countered by arguments for God’s existence. Absurdity actually presents one of the strongest critiques of the so-called ‘ontological proof’ for God’s existence. We can conceive of “a being than which none greater can be conceived. Now, whatever is conceived exists in the understanding, but to exist in reality is greater than to exist merely in the understanding. Thus, God, the being greater than which none may be conceived, must exist in reality also.

We can agree that resentment leads to a falsification of values. Camus’ Meursault resolves the tension between the traits that life and love should possess and what they do possess by denying that there is anything special about life or love. Once the events of life are no longer set against the scenery of this contrasting background, the perception of absurdity disappears.

God is the background against which we perceive absurdity: God is the absolute meaning that makes absurdity possible. Just as we could not perceive a figure except against a contrasting background, so too we cannot grasp the absurdity of contingency and finality except through contrast with the eternal divine. Thus absurdity at once poses the greatest challenge to belief in God, while at the same time we cannot perceive absurdity except through contrast with a concept of God.

idea

Question Everything
I'm not sure. Just looking for something convincing.

It seems like you want someone else to tell you what to do, and what to believe - like wanting to copy someone else's homework... instead of accepting responsibility for yourself, doing your own research, relying on your own brain... relying on your own prayers... you have a conscience - listen to it, trust it, follow it. ...

Last edited:

omega2xx

Is the concept of God self-contradictory and absurd? The Universe is merely matter and energy in motion, so the idea of God is patently absurd

Not unless you can explain how matter, and energy came into existence, and how life originated from lifeless elements.

How can a timeless and spaceless entity even exist? Who created God? What existed before him?

God is eternal.

If god were to exist then given all the pain and suffering in the world, the only rational conclusion about God is that he’s either an imbecile or a psychopath. So, God’s existence could only make life more absurd, not less.

Or you do not understand God.

It's hard to even comprehend how God exist. In the bible he explained himself as The Alpha and The Omega, that is, being with no beginning and having no end. He always just was. You can try to wrap your head around it but a being with that much power should show itself.

It is harder to understand how matter, energy and life created itself out of nothing.

He is truly a timeless and space-less God.
But say he wasn't and he had a beginning, well then how could space it self and the universe just be? How could it be the alpha? Could the universe be timeless having no beginning? Or how long was the Big Bang there before it exploded? In effect something, some universe or some Big Bang had to be a timeless entity. Time has no beginning and no end.

Instead of telling us what didn;t happen, us all how the things we have came into being. The alpha and the omega, do not refer to God, they refer to His word.

If God is all-good and all-powerful, and the Creator of all that is, then evil should not exist. However, evil does exist. Hence god must not. Surely God is not a utilitarian. Surely to God the end cannot justify the means? All major religions recognize at least a few moral absolutes. But God’s universe seems to recognize none.<<

How about the 10 commandments. Are they not moral absolutes? There are other in the Bible if you study it.

The problem of absurdity is not just one form of the problem of evil, one variation on a popular argument for atheism which might be countered by arguments for God’s existence. Absurdity actually presents one of the strongest critiques of the so-called ‘ontological proof’ for God’s existence. We can conceive of “a being than which none greater can be conceived. Now, whatever is conceived exists in the understanding, but to exist in reality is greater than to exist merely in the understanding. Thus, God, the being greater than which none may be conceived, must exist in reality also.

We can agree that resentment leads to a falsification of values. Camus’ Meursault resolves the tension between the traits that life and love should possess and what they do possess by denying that there is anything special about life or love. Once the events of life are no longer set against the scenery of this contrasting background, the perception of absurdity disappears.

God is the background against which we perceive absurdity: God is the absolute meaning that makes absurdity possible. Just as we could not perceive a figure except against a contrasting background, so too we cannot grasp the absurdity of contingency and finality except through contrast with the eternal divine. Thus absurdity at once poses the greatest challenge to belief in God, while at the same time we cannot perceive absurdity except through contrast with a concept of God.

It seems all you want to do is pontificate. If you can answer the questions I ask, get back to me. If all you can do is say it cant be true, get back to me when you become omniscient/