• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how would an afterlife be possible given current reality??

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
is there a source from which we come from?
I believe Consciousness/Brahman is the source that everything comes from. Our consciousness is this Brahman. We are One in a temporary state of feeling separate.

Not sure what your thread title was trying to ask though.

Of course there's a Source. It's called The Source. Aka Reality. Aka God.
The afterlife is for those who haven't utterly wasted their lives play-acting it.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
osgart said:
how would an afterlife be possible given current reality??
Its possible, but it seems unnecessary. Is a short life not valuable? It is valuable on its own.

:) I think that in modern times with modern Mathematics we have the ability to answer this question philosophically 2 ways with two completely different outcomes. These were available to the ancients, however they did not have a way to show time was an illusion. Therefore they had more possibilities to consider where we have 2. 'Source' is too time dependent a word and is an ancient term that is no longer as useful. Physical theories show that time is an illusion, so 'Source' is not a helpful word in this conversation as it implies cause. Cause is time dependent, so throw it out of a window. Within time there is Cause, but time itself is merely an illusion. Because of that there is no point to say we have a 'Cause'. Causes only occur inside of time. Today we have to consider whether existence is Platonic or not. It does not answer every question. It does provide a possible explanation for why we exist. If its Platonic, then existence makes sense. If it is not Platonic, then our existence is beyond contemplation at all. It is then simply a given which we must accept.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You (what constitutes you) will come back, but you will come back in pieces. One piece going somewhere, the other going somewhere else.

pearl

Since we all live on this side of death no one knows, but as a theory it will be verified one way or the other.

Pudding

@osgart, your title is: how would an afterlife be possible given current reality??

It seems like what you mean is that the current reality leads you to the conclusion that afterlife is not possible to happen. Is that correct?

If it's correct, please explain why and how do you come to the conclusion that afterlife is not possible to happen given current reality.

Please elaborate the 'current reality' you're referring to.

I don't have the belief that either i come or not come from God/god.

Tabu

'We' in reality are souls which have played different roles at different points in this drama of life, carrying along with us karmic bondages and accounts.
The soul is "Amar , Avinash" ,immortal and cannot be destroyed, so we keep coming back again and again , in cycles of happiness and perfection to sorrow and degradation.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
so karma is the achievement of highest purpose freeing one from the bonds of reincarnation?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
A few questions for the OP @osgart
  • You talk about "current reality." What is the "current reality" as you understand it? I'm not at all clear on how you see the world and how this relates to the possibility of what you call an "afterlife."
  • Could you elaborate on what you mean by "afterlife?" Precisely what sort of after life do you mean?
  • The thread title and the content of the OP don't seem to match up to me. Could you explain how asking about a "source" relates to this question about what you call "afterlife?"