• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How will your religion change once humans live on another planet?

Gargovic Malkav

The idea of colonizing another planet seems ironic.
Mankind has a tendency to turn their own planet into an inhospitable wasteland, and yet wants to move to a planet which is an inhospitable wasteland so it can be turned into a livable environment.

But to answer the OP's question: I don't think anything will change other then me getting older and hopefully getting wiser, which will influence my thinking, my perception of reality, and therefore may change something in my religion as well.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The whole assumption that we'll live on another planet seems pretty far-fetched. No matter how badly we manage to damage out own planet, it will still be more favorable to human life than Mars. Repair and natural recovery are easier and more doable than terraforming a whole, lifeless world with no ecosystem to work with.

RestlessSoul

We’re not going to be living on Mars. It has no atmosphere, and no global magnetic field that would protect us from solar winds. There are no planets in our solar system capable of supporting life, and the nearest exo planets thought to be orbiting their stars in the habitable zone, are many light years away.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
We can't claim Earth or Mars is flat once we are living on Mars. We also cannot really bring all the burial sites of our ancestors, the Vatican, or those other things that may sometimes be important for religious or spiritual reasons. As a pagan I guess the gods of nature can still apply on Mars though our thoughts about it would be radically different. Pagans might have different gods to represent the planet of Mars once they're living there. I am unsure that a lot of Christian, Jewish, or Muslim holy sites and pilgrimages can continue once we're on Mars either, unless a new Mecca is built over there.

Ironically I think some science-fiction religions like Scientology might actually gain popularity once we're on Mars. They won't be organized the same way and will probably evolve into completely different things, but regardless the basis in Sci-Fi will make it appealing in this scenario. For mine I think they will just replace the element Earth with Mars, and the element of Space will be added on top of the four religious elements.

For Jews and other 'sabbath keepers'... big problem. Mars' day is 37 minutes longer,
which will throw off calendars pretty fast. Do you follow local day, or earth day?

Actually, this would be a problem on any other planet but the Moon.

We can't claim Earth or Mars is flat once we are living on Mars. We also cannot really bring all the burial sites of our ancestors, the Vatican, or those other things that may sometimes be important for religious or spiritual reasons. As a pagan I guess the gods of nature can still apply on Mars though our thoughts about it would be radically different. Pagans might have different gods to represent the planet of Mars once they're living there. I am unsure that a lot of Christian, Jewish, or Muslim holy sites and pilgrimages can continue once we're on Mars either, unless a new Mecca is built over there.

Ironically I think some science-fiction religions like Scientology might actually gain popularity once we're on Mars. They won't be organized the same way and will probably evolve into completely different things, but regardless the basis in Sci-Fi will make it appealing in this scenario. For mine I think they will just replace the element Earth with Mars, and the element of Space will be added on top of the four religious elements.
I'm going to argue people will still claim the earth is flat when we get to mars.

As for religious traditions I think Hinduism will do just fine but I would argue most religions won't change that much. People are rarely coherent in their beliefs now and I think the beliefs of mankind will remain fairly incoherent once we get to the space colonizing part. You might have communities develop in new and interesting ways once colonies are isolated from earth.

Hinduism is fairly well adapted for space fairing civilizations in the sense that it encompasses the belief in multiple worlds and multiple sentient beings. You could teach an alien hindu thought and it wouldn't have to adapt too much. I think with Christianity one thing you could have if we encountered aliens is the possibility that it will develop into a human supremacy tool. Like if God gave his only begotten son to humanity one would think that would make humanity special.

I think certain orthodox religions will have a hard time. If you believe you need to face mecca when you pray you are going to have a hard time doing that when you are literally on a different planet. It also depends if we develop terraforming or not. If you are part of a belief system with an emphasis on connecting to nature how do you do that in space? I guess it's not impossible to develop what would be a botanical garden on a space ship but that seems rather impractical at this point.

The vatican would be fine just cause they have a ton of wealth and power. Jesus doesn't stop being God in space.

Infinity by Corvus Belli has some interesting space religions emerging. Like the nomads have a weird christo-pagan group. Haqqislam is a branch of Islam focused on reformation and the space vatican is still a thing. If I'm honest I'm mostly imagining people not really coming to terms with the idea that anything has changed.

Attachments

• PraiseSpaceJesus.jpg
    PraiseSpaceJesus.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 0

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
...There are no planets in our solar system capable of supporting life, ...
There are some moons of the gas giants that might, as they supposedly have liquid water under ice.
Earth has life around sea-bed geyser vents, with no sun or other energy input.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
We’re not going to be living on Mars. It has no atmosphere, and no global magnetic field that would protect us from solar winds. There are no planets in our solar system capable of supporting life, and the nearest exo planets thought to be orbiting their stars in the habitable zone, are many light years away.
I'm sure Elon Musk going there (and staying there) might get a round of applause. :oops:

RestlessSoul

There are some moons of the gas giants that might, as they supposedly have liquid water under ice.
Earth has life around sea-bed geyser vents, with no sun or other energy input.

True, there is a possibility of microbial life on Saturn’s moons. And the search for fossilised microorganisms on Mars is ongoing.

The Cassini/Huygens space mission to Saturn and her moons, revealed Titan to be covered in lakes, rivers, oceans and clouds; of methane. This led to speculation about the possibility of non-aqueous, methane based life forms emerging from such an environment. This is thought to be unlikely, because liquid water has a whole host of properties conducive to life, which liquid methane doesn’t have.

The same mission uncovered icy plumes spraying from the moon Enceladus, disturbed by hydrothermal activity beneath the surface, potentially creating conditions similar to those where abiogenesis may have occurred on earth. While there exists the possibility of microorganisms existing around subterranean hydrothermal vents beneath the surface of Enceladus, there is nothing hospitable about her icy surface, which reaches a temperature high of around -200 degrees C.

So when I said there were no planets in our solar system capable of supporting life, I should have said there are no planets, or moons, capable of sustaining complex life forms on their surfaces.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Mars is, too, flat! I can see it pasted on the stars.

When we get there we should dig through to the other side. That will give us twice the acreage for our farms.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Well, given the fact that Earthseed's main website says this.
upload_2022-10-31_13-14-48.png

I think it's safe to say that more people will find reasons to believe if we become a spacefaring species.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
But even Christianity has changed radically in the past 2000 years. Why would you expect religion to suddenly stop changing, regardless of location?
1st-century Christianity has Not changed as found recorded in the Bible.
What has changed radically are the fake ' weed/tares ' co-called Christians who Jesus warned against.
MANY come in Jesus' name but prove false to 1st-century Bible teachings - Matthew 7:21-23
False clergy are: wolves dressed in sheep's clothing - Acts of the Apostles 20:29-30

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Givin the realities of space and the extremes of the planets, I don't see humans ever living on another planet, or moon without support.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
1st-century Christianity has Not changed as found recorded in the Bible.
What has changed radically are the fake ' weed/tares ' co-called Christians who Jesus warned against.
MANY come in Jesus' name but prove false to 1st-century Bible teachings - Matthew 7:21-23
False clergy are: wolves dressed in sheep's clothing - Acts of the Apostles 20:29-30
Were the current books of the Bible in place in the 1st century? Were the four current gospels decided on, from the dozens in circulation? Were they attributed to Matthew, Mark, Luke or John in the 1st century?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Were the current books of the Bible in place in the 1st century? Were the four current gospels decided on, from the dozens in circulation? Were they attributed to Matthew, Mark, Luke or John in the 1st century?
The Bible was completed at the very end of the 1st century.
In other words, John's letters, his gospel and Revelation were Not in much circulation until the 2nd century.
The '66' Bible books are in harmony through the many corresponding cross-reference verses and passages thus showing the internal harmony among the many Bible writers ( God's secretaries so to speak ) .
The apocryphal books simply exclude themselves being out of harmony with the harmonious '66' Bible books.
So, yes the Bible was established early on so all the ' church' has to do was to testify to what already existed.
Basically 'one gospel account' by 4 writers - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Bible was completed at the very end of the 1st century.
In other words, John's letters, his gospel and Revelation were Not in much circulation until the 2nd century.
The '66' Bible books are in harmony through the many corresponding cross-reference verses and passages thus showing the internal harmony among the many Bible writers ( God's secretaries so to speak ). The apocryphal books simply exclude themselves being out of harmony with the harmonious '66' Bible books.
There is disharmony even amongst the current books of the Bible, nor is there just one Bible canon. Writings the early compilers didn't like were excluded, those they agreed with were included. The various biblical canons were chosen by men, not ordained by God. Who Decided Which Books to Include in the Bible?
So, yes the Bible was established early on so all the ' church' has to do was to testify to what already existed.
Basically 'one gospel account' by 4 writers - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
But noöne knows who authored the gospels. The ascription to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were later additions.