• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How will you make the world a better place in 2012?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
We always hope for "good luck" in the coming year. How will you help bring "good luck" to those who are less fortunate than you are?

I have an idea - and I'd love feedback from you guys on how to make it better.

Having spent nearly a decade of my life in poverty - living in the projects and/or below the poverty line - I always noticed something striking about the homes I visited. I noticed that family photos were rare but the few that a family had were usually prominently displayed.

There's something about putting a photo in a frame that emphasises the value of an individual.

Anyway, my idea is to approach local charities which work with struggling families, and/or the Big Brother/Big Sister organization, womens' shelters, the Salvation Army, etc. and offer to do portraits of parents with their children. Then I can edit the photos, and frame the best one and print off a couple more. Then give them to the families.

I could also volunteer my time on Mother's Day at local nursing homes, and take photos of the families with their elderly parents/relatives - it's very difficult for them to get out, and can you imagine how special it would be to have a photo of multiple generations? I would only do this at nursing homes which have a large number of Medicaid patients.

What do you think? And can you give any advice or suggestions to tweak my plan?

Finally - what will you be doing to better your world this year?

lunamoth

Will to love
Neat idea, Kathryn. That would be a spirit-lifter and I agree that those multi- generational photos would be family treasures.

This year I may just have to make more monetary donations as I will not have as much free time. In the past I have volunteered a lot towards programs aimed at ending hunger, which is my favored out-reach.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Neat idea, Kathryn. That would be a spirit-lifter and I agree that those multi- generational photos would be family treasures.

This year I may just have to make more monetary donations as I will not have as much free time. In the past I have volunteered a lot towards programs aimed at ending hunger, which is my favored out-reach.

Hey, anything to help.

I like this organization:

https://secure1.heifer.org/gift-catalog.html/?msource=kw2792&gclid=COTv8I3UrK0CFUhgTAodZxddmA

I will be continuing to support this adoption organization as well:

The ABBA Fund - Adoption, Interest Free Loans, Church Adoption Funds, Memorial Funds, Legacy Child, Financial Help

lunamoth

Will to love
I love the Heifer Project and have organized fund-raisers for them. It's a great project for kids because they really get into the idea of buying animals for families and it teaches about sustainability because the animals are not for meat, but for sustainable products like egg and dairy. They even have bees!