• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Will the GOP Appeal to the Largest Voting Bloc: Women?

Nous

Premium Member
According to exit polling in the recent election, women voters outnumbered men by 52% to 48%.

And according to surveys conducted prior to the midterms, women likely-voters preferred Democrats over Republicans by a margarine of 56-40%.

For the actual election, exit polls cited by Pew found a slightly larger percentage of women preferring Democrats over Republicans, 59-40%.

So how do Republicans plan to stop this leakage of women voters to Democrats? What policies do Republicans propose that will attract women? Trying to get the ACA repealed or struck down (and lying about doing so)? Appointing more judges accused of sexual assault to the bench? Defunding Planned Parenthood, along with the other measures of the 4-point plan of the AHCA?

Republicans seem to be running away from the largest voting segment. In the new Congress, there will be fewer Republican women than there were in the previous Congress, declining from 27% to 19% of the women in Congress.

I don't see a way to either ignore or spin these figures so as to suggest that Republicans have hit upon a winning strategy for the future. Trump may have energized the base--but not the one he wanted to energize.

I think the world will be much better when women are able to achieve greater political and socio-economic power. I have no doubt that the US would function better if the ratio of women-to-men in Congress were switched from what it currently is--like, 70% women, 30% men, or whatever. I am a feminist. I am generally happy to be told what to do by a woman. For the most part, I need women more than I need men. I need men to fix plumbing and dislodge rusty bolts, and I also tend to want to marry the cute ones. Even before I finished that sentence, I was reminded that I am married to one of the cute ones, who, unfortunately, is not terribly good at fixing plumbing or dislodging rusty bolts, but is quite handy when I need a mathematical theorem, and otherwise he does wonderful things for me. He's a feminist too.

Anyway, my questions are above.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
According to exit polling in the recent election, women voters outnumbered men by 52% to 48%.

And according to surveys conducted prior to the midterms, women likely-voters preferred Democrats over Republicans by a margarine of 56-40%.

For the actual election, exit polls cited by Pew found a slightly larger percentage of women preferring Democrats over Republicans, 59-40%.

So how do Republicans plan to stop this leakage of women voters to Democrats? What policies do Republicans propose that will attract women? Trying to get the ACA repealed or struck down (and lying about doing so)? Appointing more judges accused of sexual assault to the bench? Defunding Planned Parenthood, along with the other measures of the 4-point plan of the AHCA?

Republicans seem to be running away from the largest voting segment. In the new Congress, there will be fewer Republican women than there were in the previous Congress, declining from 27% to 19% of the women in Congress.

I don't see a way to either ignore or spin these figures so as to suggest that Republicans have hit upon a winning strategy for the future. Trump may have energized the base--but not the one he wanted to energize.

I think the world will be much better when women are able to achieve greater political and socio-economic power. I have no doubt that the US would function better if the ratio of women-to-men in Congress were switched from what it currently is--like, 70% women, 30% men, or whatever. I am a feminist. I am generally happy to be told what to do by a woman. For the most part, I need women more than I need men. I need men to fix plumbing and dislodge rusty bolts, and I also tend to want to marry the cute ones. Even before I finished that sentence, I was reminded that I am married to one of the cute ones, who, unfortunately, is not terribly good at fixing plumbing or dislodging rusty bolts, but is quite handy when I need a mathematical theorem, and otherwise he does wonderful things for me. He's a feminist too.

Anyway, my questions are above.
I worry that the most efficient way to increase his percentage support among women is to suppress the votes of non-white women:

According to a later analysis that experts consider more reliable, a studypublished in August by the Pew Research Center, the percentage of white women who voted for Trump was actually 47%, compared to 45% for Clinton. That’s still a plurality, and still makes white women more Trump-positive than the overall electorate, which supported Clinton by a 48%-46% margin. White women, who will again be a critical demographic group in the 2018 midterms, were considerably more pro-Trump than nonwhite women, who went for Clinton by a huge margin, 82%-16%

Donald Trump Didn't Really Win 52% of White Women in 2016

joe1776

The Republican Party has, for decades, reflected conservative thinking. Conservatives, almost by definition, resist change. They want to maintain the old ways because the old ways worked in their favor. They want to keep them.

The movement for equal rights for women represents change. So, conservatives are naturally against it.

The Republican Party might alter its language in attempt to fool women but it can't change its stripes.Their best bet is to appeal to the women who aren't feminists. They're in the closet now, but my guess is that there are still many who think that white men have the best solutions to their problems.

Last edited:

dianaiad

I'm a libertarian, leaning right.

That said, my own experiences as a woman tell me that the liberals/Democrats only like women who march in lockstep with their agenda. No free thinkers allowed. There is no such thing as 'equal rights' going on there; if there were, the OP question wouldn't be asked. After all, the things important to women are the things important to men, as well....same/same.

Remember that famous march where all women were invited to join up and march in support of...whatever?

Well, there were quite a few women who were 'disinvited.' As in...not welcome. Conservative women, who were all FOR equal pay for equal work, etc., were told not to come because they disagreed with abortion on demand, for instance.

Women who think for themselves are probably more likely to lean right....not all the way right, but definitely right...than they are to go left. For one thing, a woman who thinks for herself isn't going to be afraid of being termed 'politically incorrect.' She won't march in lockstep.

She'll think about the economy and how it works for everybody, not just some politically divisive rhetoric.

MY problem with the left is that it thinks so LITTLE of women. They don't believe we can think for ourselves or come to our own conclusions.

About anything at all.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well, there were quite a few women who were 'disinvited.' As in...not welcome. Conservative women, who were all FOR equal pay for equal work, etc., were told not to come because they disagreed with abortion on demand, for instance.
It seems reasonable to me that people who oppose an important facet of women's rights wouldn't be invited to a rally to support women's rights.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
2015 election UK
Political Party Number of MPs Percentage of Party's MPs
House of Commons 650 29%
Conservative 330 21%
Labour 232 43%
SNP 56 36%

As you can see the left wing have a far higher proportion of women than the right wing.

However the Tories have had two prime ministers that nobody liked in the end.
Maggie wish chucked out by her own cabinet.
A Teresa is now targeted by the right wing Tories, who want her out.
As this is a party choice it could happen.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

That said, my own experiences as a woman tell me that the liberals/Democrats only like women who march in lockstep with their agenda. No free thinkers allowed. There is no such thing as 'equal rights' going on there; if there were, the OP question wouldn't be asked. After all, the things important to women are the things important to men, as well....same/same.

Remember that famous march where all women were invited to join up and march in support of...whatever?

Women who think for themselves are probably more likely to lean right....not all the way right, but definitely right...than they are to go left. For one thing, a woman who thinks for herself isn't going to be afraid of being termed 'politically incorrect.' She won't march in lockstep.

She'll think about the economy and how it works for everybody, not just some politically divisive rhetoric.

MY problem with the left is that it thinks so LITTLE of women. They don't believe we can think for ourselves or come to our own conclusions.

About anything at all.
Oh, you're gonna get it for this post.
It's bad enuf being a libertarian (only small "l"?), but to make
general comments about women, the left, & the right?
There will be vexations.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

About anything at all.
Criticizing the left for group think while saying that people who dont think like you probably don't think for themselves seems self-defeating.

HonestJoe

It seems obviously ridiculous to treat all women as a singular voting bloc. I mean, most purported voting blocs are fairly ridiculous anyway but this one is a real stretch.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think the world will be much better when women are able to achieve greater political and socio-economic power.

From an India perspective, I've read that we're exiting the Kali Yuga where men dominated and moving into the Sat Yuga (golden age) where women come to the fore. We're seeing the emergence of women in political, economic, scientific and other spheres now.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I want to pass a law, with violations punishable by 20 lashes, that every post must contain "a few", "some", "many", "most" etc when referring to a class or group.
But when used with humorous intent, the post must eschew such qualifiers.
And punishment should be at the end of a rolled up newspaper (while they still exist).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As far as attacks on the left for being overly exclusive when it comes to a set of positions, 'tis true. That does happen. And it happens I think much worse on the right as we've seen with the transformation of the GOP into the Trump Party including exiling those who don't kiss his boots and butt such as Sen. Flake.

I would note here that there are times @Revoltingest and I agree on something or other. Sometimes we do that so often in a short period of time that it becomes a bit uncomfortable and I have to check myself to make sure that my strong sense of right and wrong is not flipping to considering wrong to be right and visa versa.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But when used with humorous intent, the post must eschew such qualifiers.
And punishment should be at the end of a rolled up newspaper (while they still exist).
Sometimes what is claimed to be done with humor is anything but as we see in various denials from politicians.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would note here that there are times @Revoltingest and I agree on something or other. Sometimes we do that so often in a short period of time that it becomes a bit uncomfortable and I have to check myself to make sure that my strong sense of right and wrong is not flipping to considering wrong to be right and visa versa.
If ever you find yourself voting Libertarian, I'll have won.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
As long as the liberal/left keep pushing on about the supposed reality of the White Patriarchy and that white women are complicit in the sins of said patriarchy, perhaps because they benefit from access to its spoils, there is no telling how long this divide will go on. As long as the right ignores this ideological albatross the bird will continue to fly.